Denmark Calderon Dolphin Slaughter

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Denmark Calderon Dolphin Slaughter

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:41 pm

I'm normally not one to jump onto any sort of petition bandwagon but someone just emailed me this:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/stop-the-calderon-dolphin-slaughter-in-denmark

I don't know how someone could just stab out a dolphin to death...

Otherwise: Denmark's coast looks badass, I need to travel.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Re: Denmark Calderon Dolphin Slaughter

Postby SkaBob » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:46 pm

I seem to recall there's a movie about something similar in Japan called "The Cove".
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby riverboy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:46 pm

That is ridiculous. I am not one to step on things like this usually but if anything it proves you are LESS of a man.
ChUcK wrote:Gateway doesn't use foil hotstamps. Dave Mac employs a neanderthal with a chisel and a loveless childhood.
riverboy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: CE eagle X

Postby Dig It » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:51 pm

/signed.

What a terrible right of passage. I can stand for a lot of stuff but animal abuse makes me rage harder than most. It is compounded by the fact some sea creature, like Dolphins, are such smart creatures. This shit makes me so sad.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:04 pm

I read this: "They don’t die instantly; they are cut 1, 2 or 3 times with thick hooks. And at that time the dolphins produce a grim cry like that of a new born child."

and my heart dropped a bit. WTF!
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby SkaBob » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:12 pm

The worst part is, if I recall correctly from the interview with the guy who made The Cove, dolphin meat is poisonous to us and our pets, so there's virtually nothing to do with the dolphins other than let them rot in the sea. They can't even make much use of them after they've slaughtered them. It's only for the sake of killing something.

Right of passage...becoming a man...shit...I wouldn't accept someone as a man who didn't stand up against this when presented with the opportunity.

Just pathetic.

The Japanese at least pretend to have an excuse (dolphins and humans competing for fish in the same fishing grounds), not that it justifies what they do, but man...just admitting "Oh, we just do this to kill stuff because we think it makes us cool"...And Europeans say Americans have some barbaric behaviour...
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby Jsw » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:14 pm

It just goes to show you how one can become desensitized to just about anything if they grow up with it in their culture.

It's interesting to me that I look at that with absolute horror, yet that particular culture see's nothing wrong with not only slaughtering dolphins with hooks - but bringing the family to watch and cheer :shock:

I signed it but before anybody freaks out and wants to nuke 'em - Realize that what goes on in those mass-producing Beef/chicken slaughter factories is pretty bad too. (Although I'm sure the majority of the cattle are killed a bit more humanely - and we DO actually eat the meat afterwards).

Just food for thought. :?
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Dig It » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:42 pm

Jsw wrote:It just goes to show you how one can become desensitized to just about anything if they grow up with it in their culture.

It's interesting to me that I look at that with absolute horror, yet that particular culture see's nothing wrong with not only slaughtering dolphins with hooks - but bringing the family to watch and cheer :shock:

Far be it from me to be ethnocentric about a matter but in some countries it is legal to rape and or kill your wife. I only sound defensive because you are right and I have no argument without knowing the culture and that is frustrating when I feel so passionate about it. I think it is petitions like this are made to impact a culture that has these rituals and maybe give them a chance to step outside their culture and see it how others see it.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby Jsw » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:52 pm

Dig It wrote:
Jsw wrote:It just goes to show you how one can become desensitized to just about anything if they grow up with it in their culture.

Far be it from me to be ethnocentric about a matter but in some countries it is legal to rape and or kill your wife. I only sound defensive because you are right and I have no argument without knowing the culture and that is frustrating when I feel so passionate about it. I think it is petitions like this are made to impact a culture that has these rituals and maybe give them a chance to step outside their culture and see it how others see it.

I totally agree, I hate seeing that as much as anybody - I'm just trying to play a little "Devil's Advocate" here.
Jsw

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:56 pm

This actually isn't too far removed from the whale hunts that the Inuit are allowed to do here in America.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Wyno » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:58 pm

I signed it but before anybody freaks out and wants to nuke 'em - Realize that what goes on in those mass-producing Beef/chicken slaughter factories is pretty bad too. (Although I'm sure the majority of the cattle are killed a bit more humanely - and we DO actually eat the meat afterwards).

Just food for thought. :?

This, except you really have to explain to me what's more humane about the total alienation of a chicken factory.

more food for thought;
Wikipedia wrote:Most part of traditional Faroese food consists of meat. Because of the harsh Faroese climate, grain and vegetables have not been able to grow very well.[citation needed] During the winter months the Faroe Islanders´ only option was to mostly eat salted or dried food (this includes meat, pilot whale meat, seabirds and fish). This means that over the centuries, the pilot whale has been an important source of food and vitamins to the isolated population on the North Atlantic archipelago.

The pilot whale meat and blubber is stored, prepared and eaten in the Faroese households. This also means that whale meat is not available at supermarkets. Although the Faroe Island's main export is fish, this does not include pilot whale meat or blubber. An annual catch of 956 pilot whales[12] (1990–1999) is roughly equivalent to 500 tonnes of meat and blubber, some 30% of all meat produced locally in the Faroe Islands.

terrible rite of passage? at least they know what they take from nature.
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

PD, Vector, Axis, Ion, Anode. XL, Comet
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Ion

Postby Jsw » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:59 pm

some call me...tim? wrote:This actually isn't too far removed from the whale hunts that the Inuit are allowed to do here in America.

Yeah, except that the Inuit hunt whales for sustenance(you know, to live) - As appose to some absurd pissing contest. :roll:
Jsw

Postby SkaBob » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:13 pm

Not to mention that the Inuit use ALL of the whale that it's possible to use, rather than cow and chicken factories that only use the choicest cuts of the meat and just dispose of the rest as needed.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:24 pm

Looks like they're actually pilot whales, and their reasoning is largely the same (doing it for the sake of tradition and food).

http://www.snopes.com/photos/hunting/dolphinhunt.asp

That doesn't mean I don't find it sickening too, but it's hard to make judgment calls about other cultures' traditions. Especially when they've probably been doing this since before America even existed.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JimW » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:32 pm

That petition is most likely partly false. I can't find any supporting information about this being any sort of rite of passage or the people just slaughtering the dolphins for the hell of it. While they do perform large hunts and killings of them it seems to purely be for the use of the meat as well as the other parts of the body. It's pretty much the same thing as the Inuit hunts.

Not saying that many people won't find it objectionable regardless but that petition is gathering signatures with false information designed to create more of an uproar.

Edit: Coke to some call me...tim?
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.