Denmark Calderon Dolphin Slaughter

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Denmark Calderon Dolphin Slaughter

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:38 pm

seriously....no one yet?

Fuck-a you whale, and fuck-a you dolphin!!!!!

Too soon?
Force/Tracker/Hornet/Buzzz/Comet/Zone/Challenger
Robin Hood
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby cjskier » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:58 am

I'm sorry, but this is no different then any native ritual practiced by people all over the world. The things you guys are reading is based on opinion and emotion, not fact. The people that live in the Faroe islands do this out of a ancient tradition. The same as any other native people do in other areas. They are not killing hundreds of them, just a few. They used to do this as a festival/feast. However now they have been told NOT to eat them, due to toxins from their environment.

Please read more then some activist BS, this type of stuff is all over the internet. Not everything you read online is even close to factual.

As a Dane, I support our peoples culture, and frown on the worlds lack of insight into the matter. I for one am all for ethical treatment of animals, and imagine 99% of Danes feel the same. However this is an ancient tradition and it should be left alone.

I think these activist need to go to Spain and see what happens in a bullfight, lol.
Last edited by cjskier on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
don't pretend you care what discs I throw
cjskier
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: beat ass banger GT

Postby cjskier » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:03 am

Oh and just so you guys know, they are hunting Long-finned Pilot Whales, not Dolphins.
don't pretend you care what discs I throw
cjskier
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: beat ass banger GT

Postby SkaBob » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:33 am

cjskier wrote:this is an ancient tradition and it should be left alone.

So then, would you say the ancient traditions of human sacrifice, slavery and the oppression of women should be left alone, too?

I mean, they're ancient traditions of so many cultures...

Just because you've been doing something for 900 years doesn't mean it was the right thing to do.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby Dig It » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:01 pm

cjskier wrote:I'm sorry, but this is no different then any native ritual practiced by people all over the world. The things you guys are reading is based on opinion and emotion, not fact. The people that live in the Faroe islands do this out of a ancient tradition. The same as any other native people do in other areas. They are not killing hundreds of them, just a few. They used to do this as a festival/feast. However now they have been told NOT to eat them, due to toxins from their environment.

So then hook me up with some insight to your culture. If they cannot eat the whale, what do they do with that Whale once they kill it? I agree with you on the Bullfighting, but they revere that Bull and eat it once it's killed. Plus I mean a Bull can f**k a human up. Pilot Whales.... not really on par with the dangers of killing a Bull. Sorry, I just want to understand. I am not picking a fight.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby Jsw » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:49 pm

*Mildly off topic*

Can we get a "dude eating popcorn" Emoticon? I've wanted to use one like two hundred times so far while surfing the off-topic section :lol:

It's a lot more visually appealing then just typing *Grabs popcorn* :)
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby JimW » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:14 pm

cjskier wrote:Oh and just so you guys know, they are hunting Long-finned Pilot Whales, not Dolphins.

Pilot whales are also known as Calderon dolphins
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby Wyno » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:40 pm

too hard to leave this one alone... damn you guys :-)

If they cannot eat the whale, what do they do with that Whale once they kill it?

They do eat it, and use the oil, skin, bones etc as well. However they have been warned about eating whale meat from the health department, I haven't been able to find out wich kind of impact this has had, but I'm pretty shure the Danish authorities would stop this in a hurry if the islanders continued the hunt but dumped the carcasses - they're not that happy about it as it is...

Just because you've been doing something for 900 years doesn't mean it was the right thing to do.

That's a valid point, at least if you're a vegetarian and/or believe that the right way for humans to develop is to become vegetarians, eat only vat-grown food or something similar. If not, I fail to see what's so much worse about this way of killing animals than most any other way except for the disturbing reality of it.
I mean, what's really the point here except for the visual impact?
OH MY GOD - THEY'RE KILLING THEIR OWN FOOD?
OH MY GOD - THEY'RE KILLING THEIR FOOD IN OTHER WAYS THAN US?
OH MY GOD - THEY'RE KILLING CUTE/SMART (insert favorite human characteristi) ANIMALS?

FWIW I guess I'm leaning towards becoming a vegetarian myself, but mostly because of resources. Just not enough farm land to go around if we all eat meat every day. However, I have no desire for a revolution here anymore than any other kind. So for now I think we should kill animals (and use any kind of natural resource) with open eyes and reverence, and we should respect our forefathers as well as those who live closer to nature today instead of claiming moral superiority, while living lives totally dependent on the brutal exploitation of natural resources that we know next to nothing about and never care to learn about either.
/Rant off

So then, someone want to hook me up with some insight to your culture? Sorry, I just want to understand. I am not picking a fight.
(sorry for ripping you off Dig It, couldn't help myself ;-))
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby SkaBob » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:50 pm

In my culture we hunt the wild "Take Out" beast, and make use of all of it except for the skin, which is a bit foamy and unappetizing.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby Wyno » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:29 pm

SkaBob wrote:In my culture we hunt the wild "Take Out" beast, and make use of all of it except for the skin, which is a bit foamy and unappetizing.

:lol:
that happens in my culture as well, for sure! we're pretty much all the 51st state I guess. Could I use that as a sig?

It was more like "asking on their behalf", not "I'm not a part of your bad culture" :-)
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby keltik » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:21 am

man reading this thread makes me want to move to Mexico. I can watch bull fights and cock fights and smoke Cuban cigars and gamble, all in one sitting. you guys need to lighten up. Bull Fights are a thing of beauty. Cock fights are more about gambling.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby lefty-hyzer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:49 am

the blubber is considered a delicacy to them, tastes like ass though. there are plenty of those freaking things...they'll be fine. i don't understand why people get so up in arms about species perishing, it's inevitable, survival of the fittest.
lefty-hyzer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: got a few

Postby discspeed » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:17 am

lefty-hyzer wrote:the blubber is considered a delicacy to them, tastes like ass though. there are plenty of those freaking things...they'll be fine. i don't understand why people get so up in arms about species perishing, it's inevitable, survival of the fittest.

discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Danforth » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:58 pm

some call me...tim? wrote:This actually isn't too far removed from the whale hunts that the Inuit are allowed to do here in America.

Yes, but the Inuit usually eat what they kill.
VoodooWizardBuzzLeoT-BirdFirebirdProSF

"Hitler and Mussolini were only the primary spokesmen for the attitude of domination and craving for power that are in the heart of almost everyone. Until the source is cleared, there will always be confusion and hate, wars and class antagonisms." - Jiddu Krishnamurti
Danforth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TeeChicken

Postby JimW » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:29 pm

Danforth wrote:
some call me...tim? wrote:This actually isn't too far removed from the whale hunts that the Inuit are allowed to do here in America.

Yes, but the Inuit usually eat what they kill.

As do the Danes. The petition is using false information to gather more signatures.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.