Gays serving openly in the military

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Gays serving openly in the military

Postby discspeed » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:10 pm

I've never been in the military, but Adm. Mike Mullen, the highest ranking living member of the military thinks that gays should be able to serve openly in the military, and I agree. If you are risking your life for your country and fellow service members you should not be shamed into hiding who you are.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: Gays serving openly in the military

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:35 pm

Gays in the military is just fine with me. If a person is willing to sign up to serve, their sexual orientation shouldn't matter.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Jsw » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:39 pm

Hmm, I can(as usual) see both sides of it. I guess I lean more to allowing gays to serve openly. However, how about a polling of active military servicemen on their opinions on it?

Long post coming - read bottom for summary.

If the majority of active duty personnel support allowing gays to serve openly - then why the hell not? If polling shows that it would hurt the morale and efficiency of the armed forces, then I think you would have to go about it in a different way.

Because regardless of where I stand on equal rights - I think that the actual people serving in the trenches and getting shot at should have the most input on major legislation that will effect their daily lives. I know this probably isn't going to be a popular opinion. However, I just feel like these men & women stand ready to protect our democracy every single day of the year - and they should at least be able to have some say in how they do so.

I am very sympathetic to how gays & lesbians must feel having to "hide" their lifestyle while in the military environment - but its called "the service" for a reason. You know the rules well in advance before you sign that dotted line and swear your life to the United States Military for better or worse.

If you don't agree with the military then just don't sign up - its an all-volunteer force and nobody is forced into it. I have lots of friends in the military that sacrifice a LOT of things do be enlisted - and that is just part of deal.

Summary

Poll active military members to see how THEY feel about it, and go from there. They are the ones getting shot at so they should have a big input on something that could possible effect morale or efficiency. Yeah its crummy that gays can't serve openly but they know the rules before they swear-in.

Don't flame me or use me as your scapegoat to make a rant on civil rights - I'm not some christian evangelical that wants everybody but me to burn in hell - I just see both sides of it and stand somewhere slightly off of the middle. 8)
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:46 pm

Homosexuals should be allowed to do anything that anyone else can, it is hard to believe that anyone would think otherwise.

Damn JSW you beat me to my post. Now I have to think it all out....

Jsw wrote:However, how about a polling of active military servicemen on their opinions on it?

Why? Do they poll them on other decisions? I would think that everyone would be held to the same physical standards / discipline / training so where does sexual orientation come into play here?
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby disc junkie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:52 pm

not going to be a long post.

I was a firefighter in the A.F. and several of my fellow firemen in the service were gay. I can say that there were never any issues and nor should there be. These were some of the best guys I have ever met and were in many case better airmen/firemen than most "straight" men.

I am for gays serving in the military as their sexual preferance has nothing to do with their capabilities of serving our country.
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby Jsw » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:57 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:Homosexuals should be allowed to do anything that anyone else can, it is hard to believe that anyone would think otherwise.

Damn JSW you beat me to my post. Now I have to think it all out....

Jsw wrote:However, how about a polling of active military servicemen on their opinions on it?

Why? Do they poll them on other decisions? I would think that everyone would be held to the same physical standards / discipline / training so where does sexual orientation come into play here?

Hmm, I don't feel like going down this road because at heart I agree with you so I don't feel like putting in the effort to debate otherwise - I'm just trying to play devils advocate(as usual :P ) a bit.

And the polling thing was more of to get a feel for how enlisted personnel actually felt about the topic, and to perhaps open up a dialog amongst the people who's lives any legislation would be directly affecting.

I guess I would just like to be more informed on all aspects and sides of the issue. But I agree that gays should be allowed to serve openly in the military.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:04 pm

I think many military personnel would be surprised at how many of their fellow soldiers are actually homosexual.
Frank Delicious

Postby disc junkie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:11 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:I think many military personnel would be surprised at how many of their fellow soldiers are actually homosexual.

A LOT!!!

And I am sure there are a bunch more since Ive been out. At one base I was doing some training at almost their entire fire dept. was gay (male and female). I was definitely the minority there and I tell you what there was no difference between that FD versus any other (except maybe cleaner and more fashionable :lol: )
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:30 pm

There was a time when having black people in the military was incomprehensible.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Parks » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:04 pm

I don't want some dude watching my ass instead of covering my six.

How can you shoot straight with a limp wrist?
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby SkaBob » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:08 pm

I know more gay and bisexual people in the military (7 or 8 ) than I do straight ones (1 or 2).
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Parks wrote:I don't want some dude watching my ass instead of covering my six.

How can you shoot straight with a limp wrist?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:28 pm

Jsw wrote: I'm not some christian evangelical that wants everybody but me to burn in hell

That's actually quite a stereotype and an unfair statement...
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Flipflat » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:30 pm

The only problem with gays serving openly is the risk of harassment and division among their fellow soldiers. Could cause alot of unnecessary drama. You and I are cool with gays in the military, but unfortunately not everybody is so tolerant, and NEVER will be. Some people like to hate, probably because that's the way they were hardwired at a young age.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:32 pm

Flipflat wrote:The only problem with gays serving openly is the risk of harassment and division among their fellow soldiers. Could cause alot of unnecessary drama. You and I are cool with gays in the military, but unfortunately not everybody is so tolerant, and NEVER will be. Some people like to hate, probably because that's the way they were hardwired at a young age.

Ah yes the old "better not upset the bigots" argument. I'm quite familiar with that line of reasoning since I live in the south.
Frank Delicious

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.