Comcast Question

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Comcast Question

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:43 am

So we all know Comcast blows and I just bought This modem for 29.99 to replace the shitty RCA modem comcast provides. Will I need to do anything to install this modem other than call comcast and give them my new MAC address?

Question the 2nd. I failed to correctly preform a firmware update on a netgear router my buddy is currently letting me borrow so it is currently a brick. I did find some information on the web today that states it may be possible to unbrick the router. If I am unable to unbrick the router, what is a solid/easy/foolproof router that doesn't require 3rd party firmware and preforms well with the modem above?

I'm really not looking for much.

1. I need the wireless so my lady and I can surf the interwebz wherever is comfortable to do so in our 2 story apt.

2. I need to plug my 360 into my router to play xbox live. I don't wanna spend the $$$ on a wireless adapter and the router is close to the TV.

Plz help.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Re: Comcast Question

Postby SkaBob » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:12 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:So we all know Comcast blows and I just bought This modem for 29.99 to replace the shitty RCA modem comcast provides. Will I need to do anything to install this modem other than call comcast and give them my new MAC address?

Something like that. Call tech support and tell them you got a new modem from the store and that you need it provisioned. They'll know what to do.

uNicedmeMan wrote:Question the 2nd. I failed to correctly preform a firmware update on a netgear router my buddy is currently letting me borrow so it is currently a brick. I did find some information on the web today that states it may be possible to unbrick the router. If I am unable to unbrick the router, what is a solid/easy/foolproof router that doesn't require 3rd party firmware and preforms well with the modem above?

Hard to go wrong with name brands (Netgear, Linksys, Belkin). All of them should work with your modem, no matter what... If a router ever doesn't work with your modem, take it back, it's borken.

Usually if the firmware dies part way through like that, you've got a brick and nothing but...Let us know if you can un-brick it, but I wouldn't put money on it.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby black udder » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:17 pm

keep in mind, that I believe Comcast is still transmitting to homes at 10-base T speed, so there isn't anything you can do to increase that speed. Also, if there is any technical support stuff they have to do (i.e. boost a signal), they won't warranty your modem and they could fry it. They will also be uber willing to blame anything and everything on *your* modem first. The one positive about having their modem is that should anything go wrong or you have spotty performance, etc. they will come and replace it/swap it out.

I'm with Bob on the routers. I've had Linksys for awhile and they've worked fine. Just as with anything, you have folks that have bad experiences, but if you stick with the major brands, hopefully, those are kept to a minimum.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:27 pm

Thanks fellas.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:52 pm

What exactly makes your new modem better than the Comcast provided one?
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:23 pm

ferretdance03 wrote:What exactly makes your new modem better than the Comcast provided one?

Nothing proven yet, I'll let you know when I get it hooked up. I have all sorts of connectivity issues with the RCA modem provided by comcast and user reviews of the modem I purchased generally all said it was an improvement. Additionally I believe that comcast charges $5 a month for the rental of said modem and the one I purchased is ~$30 which will save me some snaps.

The points BU hit on earlier are a bit concerning but it's not as though comcast is terribly quick to come out and fix my stuff anyway. Basically, my internet connection has been pretty shabby and comcast hasn't been much help and I'm not sure what to do (so I'm trying everything).

Call your people and tell them to hook me up! 8)
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby SkaBob » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:00 pm

Do what I did. Switch to DSL, FIOS, or ANYTHING but Comcast.

Seriously, I had DSL when I started my last job (which was a work-from-home programming gig - thus, my internet was my livelihood). The signal was flaky and kept dropping on me an hour or so into a coding session. I got Comcast, and 4 months later had DSL again.

Best Comcast moment evar:

My service had been down for most of a week, and I'd had to go to friends houses to work. The Comcast people started by destroying the drops in my apartment building, then the entire equipment room, then the pole across the lot, then the 500 foot span of cable between that and the building. I mean DESTROYED. It ALL got gutted and replaced.

Well, one of the days after it was "fixed", it dropped on me again, and I called the area service manager (he and I were on a first name basis by this point), who told me they had no techs available to come check it out, and I'd have to wait until tomorrow, but he'd check on things on his end in the meantime. So, while I'm waiting to hear back from him I go to lunch.

What do I see in the street next to my building? A Comcast van.

Where's the tech?

In the driver's seat. Sleeping.

So I took cell phone video (so I'd have it on there what the date was) of me walking up to the thing, startling the dude awake, and saying "Smile! You're on Candid Camera!"

Needless to say, after I sent the video to the manager, they managed to find a tech to send over. Oddly, it wasn't the guy who had enough free time to take a nap, that was less than 200 feet from my apartment...

It was nice to have my Comcast line back working for the 4 days it took to get a new DSL modem shipped to me.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Connectivity issues aren't exclusively a fault of the modem. I would say 75-80% of the time it's an issue with the cable signal, which may or may not be something that can be remedied. If you live in an apartment you're almost certainly
stuck with the cable that's there. If you're online you can check your signal: type 192.168.100.1 in your browser bar. Should be a signal or diagnostics tab. You're interested
in the upstream and downstream numbers.

Speeds are another ball of wax. You are almost always limited by your boot file, which is based on what level of service you subscribe to.

Unfortunately my people wouldn't have access to any of your info since we're in different areas. Bummer I know.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby black udder » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:30 pm

If you have options comparable, I'd switch for spite.

That said, I don't really have options.

I've found that Comcast high speed is about 95% fine. Few issues, good speeds. But when you do have an issue, it's a PITA to get fixed. Probably days or weeks to get it resolved. Probably several phone calls, probably several tech visits. It's tough because it is a network, but it's a really extended network, so the more stuff you have that's familiar to them, the better your odds. They don't pay that much for those guys, so it's not like once you get into the work, you just stay there and go up the ladder. It's a turnover position, so sometimes, you just gotta wait it out until you get somebody that knows WTF they're doing.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:11 pm

You guys must live in shitty service areas. We have same or next day turnaround for trouble calls, and usually within 4hrs if the service is completely out. 

We also don't seem to have the technician turnover you speak of BU. We just hired 2 new guys which were both transfers to fill positions that were left by other transfers. We've only lost 4 technicians since I started, going on 4yrs. I would say average tenure right now is somewhere around 6-8yrs.

It is a large network, but honestly, the majority of problems are in the house. And it can take some time to get a problem solved, but it shouldn't take hrs on the phone and multiple tech visits, although this does happen. I suggest telling whoever you talk to on the phone that you don't want to troubleshoot over the phone, send a technician. 

I'm not foolish enough to think that Comcast doesn't have problems, and perhaps some of it is because the company is so large people lose sight of the small things. I like to think that we do try to help people the best we can though. 
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:28 pm

I've actually been fairly pleased with Comcast. My internet works most of the time, and is usually pretty snappy. When I did have a modem go out, the customer service person had me do the same thing they always have you do (unplug the modem, wait 30 seconds, blah blah). They were going to have a technician come out an look at it, which of course is hugely inconvenient if you work a regular daytime job. I was just like "look, I'm positive that the modem has just gone bad, can I just come by and trade you for a new one?" They were fine with that, just went into the local office, gave them the old modem, which they tossed on a big heap of apparently dead ones, gave me a new one, and that was that. No surcharges or anything.

My one gripe is that I have a suspicion I pay way more for my internet than most people do. All I have is internet, no TV or phone, and I get the feeling I'm gently raped every month.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:50 pm

some call me...tim? wrote:gently raped every month.

:)
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:38 am

You are. Sorry. We want you to have all 3 services, so we charge significantly more for single services than when they're bundled.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby plastic_fondler » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:41 am

Having grown up in Comcast motherland of PA...I find it amazing that the service out west is better than back east.

If you buy a new modem, you will either have to call comcast to give them the new MAC addy or clone that address on your new modem.

If you bricked the router flashing it, your pretty much out of luck. You could consider purchasing a new modem/router. This would work as a modem for your comcast connection and a router for your wife and xbox. Comcast does straight DHCP over ethernet, so no PPPOE support would be needed on the modem/router. You would want to look for one that provided wireless to meet your needs. Here is an example: http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WCG200
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby SkaBob » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:45 am

Modem router combos are total bunk.

What happens if you switch providers to DSL or FIOS? Then you have to buy a new router.

A modem and router separately are usually cheaper, and don't force you to only use a certain type of ISP.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.