Guitar Rigs

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Guitar Rigs

Postby mzuleger » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:52 am

Bradley Walker wrote:
mzuleger wrote:- Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier rack mount head through a Mesa 4x12

Racks suck... amps sound so much better when they are mounted in a wood box. :D :lol:

Sure. :roll: :lol:
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby jubuttib » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:54 am

Beable wrote:I used one of those for awhile. Great amp for what it is, IMO. I outgrew it, but it was a nice compromise for when I didn't really know what I wanted or needed. It was nice to be able to play really loud or really quiet or use headphones.

Oh yeah, it's not a bad amp, it just promises more than it can deliver (namely anything with heavy distortion). Its a good Vox anyway. The power knob in the back was great though, the headphone jack on the other hand was horrid. No cab emulation so you an earful of got pure good ol' preamp goodness. :lol:
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby jubuttib » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:55 am

Bradley Walker wrote:

Racks suck... amps sound so much better when they are mounted in a wood box. :D :lol:

For all you know he might have a wooden rack. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Timko » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:59 am

jubuttib wrote:
Timko wrote:Though most of high school, this was my rig. (Image omitted.)

Actually yeah, me too. I started playing during the my second year in the Finnish equivalent of high school, pretty much used the school's old nylon stringed acoustic until I graduated. I've since had two acoustics (one steel, one nylon) but I've always had to sell them to afford my gig gear. =(

Funnily enough I sold my first guitar (got it when I was 13 or something, didn't catch on then), a strat copy from the late 70's, about two weeks before I started playing for real, luckily I got it back with a little effort. I still have it.

The guitar I played wasn't a copy, however. It was a genuine 1971 Gibson Dove. It belonged to my friend Pam, who got it from her father after he died in a car accident. I told her if she was ever hard up for money to sell it to me rather than a pawn shop or another person. After posting this, I sent her a message on Facebook. She still has it, but it hasn't seen the light of day in years :(.

I never got into playing electrics. I had a brief time playing classical guitar, but have always enjoyed the feeling and sound of a standard dreadnought.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:18 am

mzuleger wrote:
Bradley Walker wrote:

I hope you know I was joking. :D

I use a rack rig. I love the idea of a rack. I have an ATA case rack. Close up the box ends and throw it in the truck. No worries about ripping off a knob.

Most people do not realize that amp heads are really just mostly furniture. The electronics inside a not very big at all.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby jubuttib » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:41 am

Bradley Walker wrote:
mzuleger wrote:
Bradley Walker wrote:

I use a rack rig. I love the idea of a rack. I have an ATA case rack. Close up the box ends and throw it in the truck. No worries about ripping off a knob.

Most people do not realize that amp heads are really just mostly furniture. The electronics inside a not very big at all.

They look good on the stage though.

Speaking of rack hardware, I'm dreaming of this:
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby mzuleger » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:47 am

Bradley Walker wrote:
mzuleger wrote:
Bradley Walker wrote:

It's cool, I knew you were joking. The material surrounding you're head has no impact on the sound coming out of the speakers.

I agree rack mount heads are awesome. I went out and bought mine in 2001 as soon as I realized Mesa stopped making them... I was lucky to find a new one still sitting on the shelf (I was tempted to buy 2 of them).

I have a rare head in the sense that it's not a seprate pre-amp and power amp, It's an actual guitar head that has rackmount fittings on it. It's worth more now than the day I bought it, gotta love that.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:38 pm

the best tone i had from a rig was:

a 15 lb 9 oz 1994 les paul studio w/ 498T/490R pickups into a 1987 marshall silver jubilee 2x12 combo. no effects, guitar -> amp.

cable = spectraflex super quad.

i messed around a ton w/ pickup swaps but always went back to the stock ones in that guitar.

i have since sold both of them.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:51 pm

Blake_T wrote:a 15 lb 9 oz 1994 les paul studio

The heavier the better. I found an Epi LP, that weighed a ton.... Like it should. I handed it to my wife at Guitar Center, she almost dropped it. Interestingly, it already had a huge chucnk taken out of it... I guess someone else did drop it.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:04 pm

Hand wired JCM 800 clone with all improved US parts. Intriguing.

http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubPages/BSJCM800_2204/BSJCM800_2204CompleteAmp.htm
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby jubuttib » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:24 pm

LP isn't an LP if it isn't heavy. That said I'd never use one for a live gig. I'm exhausted enough as it is what with all the moshing going on.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Timko » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:54 pm

My buddy Prachi bought a Les Paul Studio as a freshman, and had to end up getting a better strap because of it (he played a Jackson before). Another buddy has one of those metallic silverbursts Les Paul's from the 70's that never stay in tune but sound very harsh, which makes them great for metal or hard rock. It's what Adam Jones from Tool plays.

Personally, I always preferred the clean sound of a PRS, but I'm weird. I also like the twangy sound of a Telecaster, and that's what I'd probably opt for if I bought an electric today.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby mzuleger » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:23 pm

jubuttib wrote:LP isn't an LP if it isn't heavy. That said I'd never use one for a live gig. I'm exhausted enough as it is what with all the moshing going on.

Back when i was in a touring band I used my LP custom live... on more than one occassion I had the strap button rip clear out of the guitar in the middle of a show. I agree they're just too heavy to gig with, I made the switch to SG's live and haven't looked back.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:46 am

I played a Mesa Dual Rectifier Solo.

Blew away everything.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby mzuleger » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:09 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:I played a Mesa Dual Rectifier Solo.

Blew away everything.

They are awesome. I've had mine for about 10 years and have never even thought about replacing it. The clean tone could be better but I hardly ever use it anyway.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.