Guitar Rigs

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Guitar Rigs

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:14 pm

OK. I made a decision NOT to buy a Boogie. I simply do not have the funds.

So, I have decided to buy a Peavey 3120 (brand new for $500). It is the best amp that is darn near as sweet as a Boogie. I played one the other day after I heard a 8 year old playing one. It had a very sweet tone and was quiet as hell (as quiet as a Boogie).

Check this demo out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58frVUCJmbM
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby jubuttib » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:26 pm

Not bad, not bad at all. Still, about a 1000 USD more than I could swing for. Well, at least I'm happy with the sounds I'm getting with my Valveking paired up with the X3...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby black udder » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:41 pm

I don't have the funds either, but I have an amp I like, so I'll just bide my time for now...
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby jubuttib » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:05 pm

I only like the Valveking in the sense that I like how well it handles effects. The amp itself sucks (well, the cleans are ok), but works as a cheap tube power amp that comes with speakers. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby black udder » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:34 am

Great version of Electric Gypsy by Andy Timmons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRewopc1 ... re=related
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:18 am

The exact reason I'm aiming for the Egnater. I can never seem to find an amp that does clean and distortion good, so an amp that has completely different preamps for both sounds terribly tempting.

i have played the egnaters and thought they were decent but over-priced imo. the cleans weren't stellar but were better than some.

i usually go for 2 different clean tones. 1 is a pretty traditional 6L6/6V6 w/ a solid state preamp w/ true vintage (50's-60's) voicing alnico speakers. this is basically vintage fender. super reverbs are probably my favorite for that tone style, w/ pro reverbs, deluxe reverbs, and twin reverbs following up in that order. you can also get this tone for $300-400 if you can find a 70's musicman amp.

the second clean tone i like is a bitey, edgy clean that has some break up. basically, high volume low gain (on a high gain amp) EL34/5881's with a tube rectifier and modern lead speakers that have a lot of headroom. i can get this tone with 20+ different amps but tend to gravitate towards amps with a triode configuration (or something that sounds a lot like that).

overall though, you can always fake a decent clean, but it's impossible to fake a kickass dirty, so if i was eyeing up one amp, i've always favored going for something with a good dirty channel(s) and a mediocre clean.

also, if you play your cards right, i've never thought you had to spend more than $1000 to get 2 amps to cover all tones.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:19 am

I paid $500 for this amp and it is brand new with a brand new set of GT GE 6l6's in it. I mean it is brand new.

I am going to try swapping the preamp tubes to clean it up a bit (it could use less gain really), and I also have a nice set of JJ EL 34's I might try (but the power amp tone is very nice).

The amp responds very well to pickup volume control on the rhythm channel. Just turn it down and you get a nice vintage crunch (think Billy Gibbons) with no mud. The lead channel is thick.

I would like to get some deeper voiced speakers to mix in with my Vintage 30's. They are still a little scratchy. The guy from Peavey said to try the XXX speakers that they make.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:41 pm

I would like to get some deeper voiced speakers to mix in with my Vintage 30's. They are still a little scratchy. The guy from Peavey said to try the XXX speakers that they make.

the XXX speakers aren't bad but imo, they leave a bit to be desired. they're kind of "thin" imo since they're voiced for dropped Z tuning and doing pantera riffs.

the sheffields in the old 5150 cabs or british-made celestion G12-70's or 75's should work out nicely. you can usually find any of these used fairly easily since so many people swap em out for V30's hehe.
Blake_T

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:25 pm

-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby garublador » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:29 pm

Man, I wish I had a reason to get into amps. I just can't justify spending hudreds to lower thousands of dollars on an amp I'll use occasionally in my home. I just have a Marshall AVT50 that I use when I feel like noodling. It sounds decent when it's quiet and it will make a little noise if needed.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby jubuttib » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:47 pm

Blake_T wrote:
The exact reason I'm aiming for the Egnater. I can never seem to find an amp that does clean and distortion good, so an amp that has completely different preamps for both sounds terribly tempting.

i have played the egnaters and thought they were decent but over-priced imo. the cleans weren't stellar but were better than some.

Did you play the Rebel/Renegade/Tourmaster series or the modular series, and if the modular, then what modules? From the samples I've heard they're pretty damn awesome. I wouldn't bother with anything other than the modulars.

also, if you play your cards right, i've never thought you had to spend more than $1000 to get 2 amps to cover all tones.

Maybe over there. Over here you're damn lucky to find anything with tubes for that price. The second hand market is dominated by bastards that want 90% of the price of new amps and won't haggle, often if you find anything cheap, it's broken, and the best you can get for 1000 USD new is a Valveking. The cheapest dual rectifier (used) I could find was 2200 USD. And if you order from the States, the customs will definitely catch it (they catch everything over 60 or so euros) and apply ridiculous charges, so even if I could get a Dual Rectifier for something like 500 USD, it'd easily cost me over 1500 USD total. =P
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby black udder » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:59 pm

i don't think he's talking about getting something like a dual recto on the cheap, I think he's talking about being able to get the sounds he's after in amps that don't cost as much.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:14 pm

i don't think he's talking about getting something like a dual recto on the cheap, I think he's talking about being able to get the sounds he's after in amps that don't cost as much.

correct. i used to work at a recording studio and specialized in matching tones when someone wanted "i want to sound like this, what do i need?" many of the bands were poor, so i generally would list out the "here's what will do it best" and "here's what will do it for $500."

Did you play the Rebel/Renegade/Tourmaster series or the modular series, and if the modular, then what modules? From the samples I've heard they're pretty damn awesome. I wouldn't bother with anything other than the modulars.

i don't remember. i just remember thinking it was decent but it didn't floor me with its $1400 price tag. i remember thinking the cab was poop too, but this was like 3-4 years ago.

Maybe over there. Over here you're damn lucky to find anything with tubes for that price. The second hand market is dominated by bastards that want 90% of the price of new amps and won't haggle, often if you find anything cheap, it's broken, and the best you can get for 1000 USD new is a Valveking. The cheapest dual rectifier (used) I could find was 2200 USD. And if you order from the States, the customs will definitely catch it (they catch everything over 60 or so euros) and apply ridiculous charges, so even if I could get a Dual Rectifier for something like 500 USD, it'd easily cost me over 1500 USD total. =P

dual recto's have a pretty "set" resale value (~$1200 used) so even at $1500 USD it wouldn't be too bad. it is more difficult in europe, although with the exchange rate what it is, now is probably as good of time as any to pull the trigger even w/ customs/duties.

with that in mind, you can still probably find things that are a proportionately decent deal.

the amps i always wanted:
soldano SLO100
marshall silver jubilee (owned)
marshall 6100 anniversary
black face twin reverb (owned)
black face super reverb (had a silver face)
black face deluxe reverb (had a reissue)
Blake_T

Postby black udder » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:48 pm

what kills me is how many musicians pick up new gear and then sell it. You don't see many folks (except the biggest stars) with a closet full of guitars and a room full of amps. it's usually a couple guitars and an amp or two - 1 expensive, one practice or cheaper amp. The used market for instruments and amps, pedals, etc. is just huge. Folks go out and trade in what they have for the latest thing on a regular basis. Considering how guitars and amps can sound so different, you'd think folks would a) stick to what they have or b) keep the stuff because the sounds can be unique. I guess they're close enough that most folks can't afford to keep them all.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Blake_T » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:03 pm

The used market for instruments and amps, pedals, etc. is just huge. Folks go out and trade in what they have for the latest thing on a regular basis. Considering how guitars and amps can sound so different, you'd think folks would a) stick to what they have or b) keep the stuff because the sounds can be unique. I guess they're close enough that most folks can't afford to keep them all.

they trade yesterday's poop for today's turd.

i haven't liked most standard production gear since the mid-late 90's. hehe.
Blake_T

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.