Guitar Rigs

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Guitar Rigs

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:51 pm

This thing kicks ass!!! Of course I had to completely redo the action
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby black udder » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:13 pm

Blake_T wrote:why do you need a 22 fret neck? i think yamahas have 22 fret necks. the intonation is better on 24 fret necks.

the other thing w/ carvin is that you spend $700 to have something worth $300 in resale.

As we discussed, I don't buy to sell. I'm keeping my axes 'till I'm dead. No resale in any of them and I don't have the patience to just shop forever for a deal and then take whatever deal comes along.

The issue I had wasn't just the 22 fret neck it was the features offered on the Fender strats. I can get the cheap one with 21 frets and a 2nd choice finish with pickups that aren't too expensive, or I can get the expensive one with the finish I want and 22 frets, but it's got all the expensive hardware. I'd like the 2nd body, 22 frets but the cheaper parts, since I'm planning on replacing a good portion of it.

That's what is nice about carvin, you can order what you want. I really do like the carvin that I have - the california custom. feels good and the neck is great, sure the resale might not be great, but I got exactly what I wanted.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd probably spend more time learning about all the parts so I could buy something and do all the work myself. Right now I just don't have the time now to get involved in all that...
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:06 pm

Has anyone tried a steve's special pickup? I have a blaze in my new 7 string. It might be the most amazing pickup I have ever played. It is supposed to be the 7 string Steve's Special.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:27 pm

I went the Dallas guitar show this weekend.

Carvin guitars are insane. For what they are nothing can touch them.

The most impressive piece of gear I heard was the new lunchpail Boogie. It is tiny and it sounds like a Rectifier. No joke. $900!!!! For this little 15 watt amp!!!

It is called the Transatlantic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOiMTWfm4bA

It sounds much better in person. There are lots of demos from that show on Youtube.
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby black udder » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:00 pm

I was wondering about that -- looks pretty cool.

That and my modified strat with the Andy Timmons pickups...hmm. :D
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby AciDBatH666 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:22 pm

Just a heads up, my rig is FINALLY complete.
Each one of these things is from having tons of patience and looking out for steals of deals from Craigslist and Talkbass.com.
Total price of the whole rack, and the Ampeg 8X10 (this is not including the 2 basses)........$1200.
Price of each piece new? Prolly in the ballpark of $2000-2400

AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby jnecessary » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:41 pm

Nice! I miss my ampeg 8x10 and svt-3 :(. Sold all of my bass gear over 5 years ago and haven't picked one up since.
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Postby jubuttib » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:08 pm

I recently became a bass player, and I actually need a bass rig now... Plenty of guitar gear, but that's of limited use.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby NoLifeLeft » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:15 pm

I like that BTB.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby Leopard » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:14 pm

Congrats Acid -- that is a sweet rig
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby AciDBatH666 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:57 pm

jubuttib wrote:I recently became a bass player, and I actually need a bass rig now... Plenty of guitar gear, but that's of limited use.

What are you looking for? I'm still active with looking for deals even tho I've pretty much got what I need. I also still have m Swr Workingman's 4004 head and Swr 4x10.

The Btb is my baby. I'm currently looking for a 4 string btb for my collection.

This gear is MONSTER. I literally got the Ampeg 8x10 cab today and it's the final touch to my rig. The Gallien Krueger is 700 watts with a 50 watt biamp for a tweeter (if the cab accepts it, which pretty much only the GK cabs do).
When I was trying out the Ampeg today it was the first time I was able to really crank that GK1001RBII because I can't do jack in my apartments with it. This head is LOUD!! I couldn't turn it past 3 before it was breaking the walls down. It's a beast.
I couldn't try out the Sansamp RBI Preamp, but I'm sure it's the same as my Sansamp DI pedal. Gives it a nice dirty grit. So with that combination I'll be able to duplicate damn near any amp/cab sound I want. I can't wait to have a band practice and rip my 2 guitarists heads off.
The Presonus Comp16 compressor might end up getting sold because from what I read the Sansamp RBI offers a bit of natural compression.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Leopard » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:31 am

keep an eye out for a multiband compressor, or one with a sidechain. digital graphic eq and sidechained compression would add a lot of versatility to your sound.... keep the compressor parked, and change presets in the eq.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Itchy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:02 pm

Not as fancy as you guys, but I make up for it in volume.

guitars;
Up top is a Fender '62 mahogany top concert body reissue (signiture series... so it has ugly fret markers but it sounds awesome) effected acoustic.
Far left is a Warmoth Strat-like body and neck SSH with the bridge single pickup reverse angled. The bridge and middle pickups are Seymour Duncan 1950 set and the neck humbucker is a SH-14 Custom 5 that they wound for me (I live half an hour away from his shop).
Middle is a Epi LP that I found at a pawn shop near San Diego that I picked up for a song. Not the greatest sounding LP but it's nice.
Far right is a china knock off black market fake as heck Strat that I gutted and put new pickups in... it's a sleeper. The middle reverse wound pickup was replaced with a Seymour Duncan and then put in the bridge position.

effects;
Feeding right to left,
WH-4 Digitech's Whammy
Rogue Blues Distortion
Boss DS-1 I cracked open and Keeley modded. Sounds 8,000% better.
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13... OK, I only bought this because when I was in middle school I was a pretty big Anthrax fan BUT, it's a darn good pedal for sizzlin' metal
Boss DD-3 Delay I like it better than the DD-7 and I'm always looking for more delay pedals but so far I haven't heard one that could compete with the DD-3
Ibanez CF-7 Chorus/Flanger thought I should add some shimmer shimmy shake to the pedal board so on a whim I bought it. My brother in law comes over and plays U-2 songs on it until I ask him to leave.
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive takes me to 11
Marshall Blues Breaker II for when I want to push my little amp instead of effect my guitar.

Amps;
Top is a little amp I built because I didn't like the way my acoustic/electric sounded on my Fender.
Middle is my Fender 15R. That's my main amp, it doesn't get too loud or break up on its own but I've never been in a [serious] band and for jamming with buddies it's just fine.
Bottom is a 9v Honeytone. Sweet little thing to plug headphones into and jam out by yourself. It's got a lot of sweet tones, it's almost like a pedal that you can plug headphones into.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby NoLifeLeft » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:00 pm

Hey Acid, hows the 5 string? I've had some people tell me it's fantastic and some say they play it like a 4 95% of the time.

I ask because I'm seriously pondering adding a 5 string to the collection or just getting another 4 for detuned duty.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby AciDBatH666 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:44 pm

NoLifeLeft wrote:Hey Acid, hows the 5 string? I've had some people tell me it's fantastic and some say they play it like a 4 95% of the time.

I ask because I'm seriously pondering adding a 5 string to the collection or just getting another 4 for detuned duty.

The BTB is AWESOME. It was the first bass I bought a couple of years ago when I decided to make the switch from guitars. I got the BTB because I did a lot of reading and research on which to get for all around versatility. The BTB has a great on board EQ that lets you get tons of different tones just from the onboard electronics. There's a bass boost/cut, treble, Mid frequency and Mid volume, balance and volume.
I got a 5 string for my first because I knew I'd want it for a lot of metal that I was going to be playing. I pretty much only play the BTB with my fingers.
The Warbeast is my main metal speed bass. I play it almost strictly with a pick. I wanted a 4 string because I wanted a faster thinner neck for thrash and didn't care about the sound because I'd be using a little bit of distortion for my tone.
I don't play the Warbeast with my fingers very much because it's got those Music Man style humbuckers with those half circles on top of the humbuckers where it screws into the body. It makes it really uncomfortable for my thumb placement.

Now with the BTB, I mostly use it like a 4. But it's SUPER comfortable to place your thumb on the 5th string. I was looking for a 4 string BTB for a while, and there's one at a local pawn shop, but I think I'd rather get a nice Warwick or something else now because I'd like the versatility. I don't regret the 5 string tho. My next will prolly be a 5 string because I put my thumb on that top string a lot.

Edit: Oh yeah, the BTB is a little heavy. After my first band practice with the guys I'm currently jamming with and standing for several hours with it, my shoulder was pretty sore the next day.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.