8 Bit People

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

8 Bit People

Postby Mike C » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:10 pm

If you grew up with a love of the 8-bit era of console videogames, you'll probably get into this

http://www.8bitpeoples.com/discography

Lots of free albums (100+!) that are along the lines of dubstep, electronica and DnB from what I've heard, using retro sounds. Fun stuff.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Re: 8 Bit People

Postby jubuttib » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:58 pm

Approaching the subject from a different viewpoint, making remixes of old 8/16 bit classics with real instruments (well at least the lead instrument needs to be real) is Dwelling of Duels, a monthly song contest. Too bad the old VGMix site went down and it hasn't quite reached the level it used to have after it's relaunch.

Oh, and be sure to check out http://www.powergoat.com if you like Castlevania.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Mike C » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:19 pm

Will do, thanks for the link. I remember a band, minibosses I think, that did some good NES covers. Their Metroid cover was really good.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby jubuttib » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:18 pm

I'd really like to see Minibosses live, all of the recordings I've found have been of so terrible quality I can't really stand listening to them. Not the band's fault, but still.

And just to be clear, VGMix and Dwelling of Duels are completely different beasts. DoD is still kicking as good as it ever was, but the main site is sadly a bit lacking. Though I just found this torrent which is sort of a "best of VGMix" from the old Stuff of Legends list. The songs have always been free to download so go ahead and get that to get the best the old VGMix had to offer. Everything by goat, Virt, ryan8bit, housethegrate, Ailsean, Dennis and Kadmium is worth checking out at least (some of them not appearing on that torrent unfortunately). housethegrate's La Hora es Tarde in particular rocks my world.

A shameless plug: Me and my friend entered DoD last year, managed to record, mix, master and send out our song (and partly write it also) in under 7 hours. Considering this was our first collaboration and the timelimit I think we did pretty good. Available here: http://dod.vgmix.com/past/2009-02-febru ... ia-DoD.mp3
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby thedudeabides » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:33 pm

The end of the world will be televised.
thedudeabides
Noob

Favorite Disc: spider

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.