Relaxing

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Relaxing

Postby jmammo » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:06 pm

Does anyone one else spend some time each night relaxing? I do and it has helped me stay asleep and sleep longer. Getting a good nights sleep has also had a changing effect on my grades (a good one!). My routine is:
1.Take a nice hot, long shower
2.Turn on favorite relaxing music, right now I like Mozart,Bach, or Death Cab for Cutie (there slower songs)
3.Burn my favorite incense (personally I like musk but meh)
4.Turn off all the lights
5.Sit quietly and meditate

I did not notice a change at first but now I am doing better in school, and I feel like I have a more relaxed attitude towards a lot of things. Which is good for me because before I was very uptight about stuff. Post your favorite relaxing music pr maybe even your own routines.
Jack
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Solty » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:43 pm

currently going through a sepeation/divorce. I spend my nite watching comedies and doing some free reading. i have a slew of candles burning most nites and now that its getting colder...i will be sitting around the fireplace listening to some music. Having and entertaining the dogs really helps keep the nice tranquil.

m
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby jmammo » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:55 pm

mikesolt wrote:i have a slew of candles burning

hmmm.... I always wanted to burn candles but I fell odd walking into a candle store and smelling the candles to see which one's I like. Anyone one's you like in particular?
Jack

jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Solty » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:11 pm

cranberry orange...if i burn just one....

if i have a few....i have blueberry, fresh washed sheets, juniper breeze, ocean breeze, and apple pie

yea....i'm a candle fan...
Solty

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:17 pm

lol, I can picture you in a big bubble bath w/ a bunch of candles... then I feel sick
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Solty » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:20 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:lol, I can picture you in a big bubble bath w/ a bunch of candles... then I feel sick

man, you officially wigged me out...LOL

no bathroom candles...sorry to burst your vision...
Solty

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:19 am

yeah that may have crossed a line. oh well, if no one crossed any lines youtube would be boring.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby jmammo » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:32 am

Speaking of youtube if you like political comedy you might like this guy
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=MarkDayComedy

Jack

jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Rob » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:18 pm

If im looking to wind down at the end of the day I take a nice hot shower, make some tea, lay down and watch some tv.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby roadkill » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:33 pm

Go to the gym and swim laps or run laps in the pool if you don't swim. Then 5-10 minutes in the hot tub. Shower, go home and drink 24 ounces water to rehydrate.
The swimming will tire you out so much and leave your body relaxed. I really get knocked out after a good swim.

For me reading in bed is relaxing also but the dip in the pool definitely guarantees serious shuteye.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:11 pm

I do many things for stress, but as far as relaxing I'm not too different:

1. burn an effusion lamp (I used to do candles but i have too many pets that make this dangerous/ still have incense which messes with my allergies).
2. pour myself some liquor that is at least 12 years old
3. light a pipe or cigar
4. I listen to music at times, but I have pets. I like to listen to my pets play/talk.

5. I also like to drive outside the city limits and sit on a blanket under the stars listening to nature smoking a doobie, I mean a cigar.

Sometimes replace 2 with:
2. brew a pot of tea

The simple act of making a pot of tea and packing and lighting a pipe are very relaxing to me, which is why I always make a pot and not a cup.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:54 pm

Getting a workout during the day is usually enough for me. By the time it's bedtime I'm usually half asleep already.

I also find a single glass of wine will help put me to sleep and isn't enough to interfere with my sleeping. If I've drank too much then I'll fall asleep easily, but I won't sleep as well as normal. I've been drinking hot apple cider a lot recently too.

Reading is good if it isn't something too exciting. I really enjoyed reading the Lord of the Rings, but after a chapter or two at night I was ready for bed.

Having an animal around has been working well, too. I find that at home, my wife and I pay attention to her (our Welsh Corgi) a lot, so things like work and other stressers aren't on my mind. After she goes to bed, it's not long before we're ready to sleep, too. Heading from the basement to the ground floor evey couple of minutes to either let her out or in might have something to do with it, too. ;)

One of most important things for me is to make sure my mind isn't running overtime when I try to go to bed. If it is, trying to lay down to go to sleep is counterproductive. I'll get up and surf the internet or read for a bit to get myself calmed down.

The other most important thing is for me to have a regular schedule. If I'm going to bed and getting up at the same time every day, it's easy to fall asleep at night and to get up in the mornings.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Glock23 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:05 pm

After work my wife and I go home and relax. That normally means some tv or a book, but we play video games every once in a while (mario cart, oh yeah). I also spend some time each night playing with our doberman, which we both enjoy. He has gotten a lot bigger since we adopted him, and he loves our nightly wrestling time.
As far as drinks, my wife normally drinks coffee, and I will brew some loose leaf tea or pour a glass or two of wine. I like merlot, but sometimes a shiraz or cab. On the weekend, I may swap the tea or wine for bourbon.
I love black coconut incense, but haven't bought any in a while. My wife normally has candles going whenever we are home though, and they are easier to clean up.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby swel304 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:20 pm

I like to read befor bed. most nights I get in bed at least an hour early to have plenty of time to get some reading in. My doctor told me to read something boring befor bed but I couldnt stick to that, so I just set aside extra time every night to get more reading in. two hours and I am toast (if I didnt already fall asleep with the book on top of me)

I try not to get sugar after 7pm or so, an not have dinner too late. exercise no later than 7pm. if I keep waking up or just cant fall asleep I get back up and read or surf the net for an hour or so.

I like hot showers too but I was told by a massage therapist that standing under a hot shower is very bad for the muscles in your shoulders and back, so be carefull of the water temp!
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby jmammo » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:10 pm

swel304 wrote:I like hot showers too but I was told by a massage therapist that standing under a hot shower is very bad for the muscles in your shoulders and back, so be carefull of the water temp!

Ooooo that might hurt me later on. I turn the hot water up all the way.

jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.