BCS?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

BCS?

Postby Timko » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:40 pm

USC got upset by UCLA today. I grew up in the SEC, and even though my Alma Mater got beat by Florida today, there's going to be a ton of debate over who's going to play Ohio State.

Florida? Michigan? Louisville? Wisconsin?

Personally, I don't feel the Big East schedules are strong enough to get in the BCS. Also, if you finish 2nd in your conference, you shouldn't play for a national championship (ie screw Michigan). Actually, I think that USC still stacks up better against Ohio State better than any other teams out there right now.

Ohio State v. Florida. Hopefully.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Solty » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:12 pm

OSU vs. Michigan = even on neutral turf.

the SEC was a joke this year......
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Rooster » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:22 am

florida was too far back of michigan to really have a shot, if florida gets in i will be shocked. that being said. yes im from michigan so im all for a re-match. but i don't think its right. the BCS needs to go and a playoff system is what should determine the national championship.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Timko » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:11 am

Rooster wrote:the BCS needs to go and a playoff system is what should determine the national championship.

You know, playoffs seem to work in EVERY OTHER MAJOR SPORT. I have no idea why College Football doesn't do the same. Oh, that's right....money.
Timko

Postby redspexxx » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:06 pm

florida had too much trouble with the razorbacks to get the nod over michigan. but, if michigan beats ohio state, can you imagine the anger in columbus? it could force them to have a playoff system. i mean, they're already 4 bcs games, so take the top 4 teams, have them play like for example the rose and fiesta as the semi's with the winners going to the sugar bowl and the losers going to the orange. its that easy.
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby roadkill » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:24 pm

Furthur wrote:
Rooster wrote:the BCS needs to go and a playoff system is what should determine the national championship.

You know, playoffs seem to work in EVERY OTHER MAJOR SPORT. I have no idea why College Football doesn't do the same. Oh, that's right....money.

Money is part of it but it's more about time. Football is the only major sport that has seven day rest periods between games. Baseball, basketball and hockey can be played several times within a week whereas football is played only once a week. Playoff system could be instituted if they could add three more weeks to the season (postseason). Eight best teams the first week, four best teams the second week and two best teams final week.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Rob » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:25 pm

Florida it is. I think Michigan should have went even thought id rather see a new matchup. College definately needs a playoff system.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby The APX Archer » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:32 pm

Rob wrote:Florida it is. I think Michigan should have went even thought id rather see a new matchup. College definately needs a playoff system.

I don't think the Gator fans are going to be doing their "clever" alligator chomp/clap after they witness the outcome of this game. I'm glad the Gators got the #2 spot because I live in Gator Country with a Michigan license plate on my vehicle. I have a feeling if Michigan stayed at #2 that all these Gator fans would look at my Michigan plate on the road and think I'm responsible that the Gators didn't make it. I've experienced that in a different state before. You gotta love the mentality of some football fans.

I would've hate to see Michigan lose to the Buckeyes twice in one year. Thank you Gators.
The APX Archer
Noob

Postby deaddisc » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:39 am

roadkill wrote:
Furthur wrote:

Money is part of it but it's more about time. Football is the only major sport that has seven day rest periods between games. Baseball, basketball and hockey can be played several times within a week whereas football is played only once a week. Playoff system could be instituted if they could add three more weeks to the season (postseason). Eight best teams the first week, four best teams the second week and two best teams final week.

So by adding 3 more weeks you mean having the national title game somewhere around new years..... oh wait it already is. I agree that it is mostly about money, and the historical precedent set in college football by the AP voting of a national champion. I hate the BCS, hate the AP voting for national champion, the only reasonable way to do things is to have an eight team playoff as you and many others have suggested.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Timko » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:47 am

roadkill wrote:
Furthur wrote:

D II don't seem to have a problem with rest. And they play with 16 teams, so that's a 4 week postseason. I'm not suggesting that we have 16 or 32 teams in the playoffs; I think 8 would be fine.
Timko

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:06 pm

the reason there isn't a playoff format has nothing to do with money, but the welfare of the athletes.

Some of these student athletes are being recruited into the pros. An injury would cause problems (and it has).
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby superq » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:39 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:the reason there isn't a playoff format has nothing to do with money, but the welfare of the athletes.

Some of these student athletes are being recruited into the pros. An injury would cause problems (and it has).

The players are just as likely to get hurt in a playoff game as they are any other game. These kids are looking into a profession where anual base salary is more than most of there teachers will make in several years.

Forgive me if I do not seem to have an appropriate amount of sympathy for the Gladiators (Read: paid muscle). I would watch more college football if there was a meaningfull champion crowned each year like in the NFL.
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.