What's "App"ening?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What's "App"ening?

Postby Hoey » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:34 pm

:D

See? I got creative there...

I'd like to know what applications/widgets y'all are liking on your phone. I've got a droid eris that's pretty sweet, and a few app's on it... but I know I could be getting more out of it. I'll be the first to admit I'm not on top on all the latest going's on in the technology world.

So what do you like?

I've got:

Pandora
Flashlight (wicked bright)

and a couple others... can't remember off the top of my head right now.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Re: What's "App"ening?

Postby keltik » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:37 pm

Rappenin' is what's Appenin' got yo feet stompin' and yo hands clapenin'
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Hoey » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:51 pm

I like that because it rhymes.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby jubuttib » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:35 pm

Bare essentials: Putty, Opera Mobile 10, PhoneTorch, Google Maps (or other such software. I have 3 for testing purposes)
Good to have: Paint Pad, Palringo, VNC Viewer, SymTorrent, Sic! FTP, AccuWeather, StopWatch, Winrar, TouchComic, Python and all sorts of little programs using it.

Running on a Nokia 5800.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:12 pm

good ones on the Android market

PicSay/PicSay PRO, basically a mini mobile photoshop minus layers (WAYYYY better than the actual mobile photoshop, shit sucks)
Chandroid, if ya gotta ask you dont need it
Advanced Task Killer, good for keeping your battery life up
Bubble, awesome level app
Robo Defense, best game ive found on Android market, super addictive
Dolphin Browser, kinda like Firefox for your phone, a good deal better than the stock browser (or Opera mini IMO)
Joes interactive flight chart, yep they got it
Mabillo Ringtones, huge library of good ringtones, all free
Photobucket, handy for DGR pic postin action
Shazam, can tell you what nearly any recorded song is by holding your phone up to the sound, shit is so cash
Yelp, you know what yelp is right?
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby jubuttib » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:Dolphin Browser, kinda like Firefox for your phone, a good deal better than the stock browser (or Opera mini IMO)

I don't know what the old Opera Minis were like (last time I used it was in 2004, many versions have been released since), but the newest is almost identical to the Opera Mobile 10. Actually the interface IS identical (in 5800 at least). The only reason to not use it is that the proper Mobile version is a bit faster and handles memory usage better.

Also, I seem to be the only person on the planet who thinks that Firefox isn't a particularly good browser. It's better than IE but that's it, I vastly prefer both Chrome and especially Opera to it (haven't tried Safari).
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby dgdave » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:29 am

I hated Dolphin browser, but you're on a backflip, right jesse?

I also have an Eris, soon to be an Increadible. If you have a laptop and no broadband card, PDAnet is a killer app. Free tethering.

Astro id a great file manager/explorer.

Paper toss to pass the time.

If you like football, Verizon just put out a nice NFL app and its free this season.

Ethereal Dialpad is a killer tone app. Its trippy and fun.

Jesse also listed a lot of good ones.

Did you root or upgrade to 2.1 on your eris?
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:39 pm

No Iphoner's?
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby rusch_bag » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:44 pm

My phone has a calculator, speed dial, speaker phone, and can take pictures. Amazing.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Leopard » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:No Iphoner's?

he's got a droid so i didn't bother

there's an excellent guitar app for iphone, tuner.. metronome.. chords/scales.. good stuff. i use the voice recorder a lot, when i'm training i can just capture like 2-hour long conversations and review later on my desktop machine. i have a nice golf scoring/GPS app as well.

there's a ton of handy-dandy shit for smartphones... stuff my life was just fine without before, but stuff that's super useful if it's available.

most of all i play like 100 games of freecell a day
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby garublador » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:08 pm

I have my favorite apps put into two categories

1 - Acutally useful
Some of the others listed above (Shazam, Astro, Dolphin)
Astrid - Personal task manager, as in, you make a list of stuff for you to do. I even like the widget.
My Tracks - it tracks where you moved over a time. It's great for running or biking and can be interesting for disc golf.
Barcode Scanner/ShopSavvy - Scan UPC's and look up prices on the web.
Movies - quick way to look up movie times
Key Ring - scan those UPC deals you get from Best Buy, PetCo or where ever else and keep them on your phone instead.
Unit Converter - if you're a nerd and need to convert units but not a big enough nerd to do it in your head.
Stop Watch
Whatever guitar tuner app you like the best
Bubble - makeshift level. Not exact but is good enough a lot of the time.

2 - Cool, but not very useful
Goggles - take a picture of a logo or text and it will do a Google search on it. Try it on a business card.
Layar/Wikitude/Google Sky Map - "Augmented Reality" where you look through the camera and it tells you about the stuff you're pointing at.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:39 pm

I guess i'll go thru mine on my Iphone. I have them sorted by page.

First page is all the stock aps that you can't delete, including The weather channel. Great for playing rounds and wondering where the rain ACTUALLY is.

Apps worth mentioning that I actually use
Dynolicious. $10 dyno. I run 1/4 mile times on my car with this. Pretty accurate. Gives a dyno chart of your run along with various other stats. Im a motor nut so this was a must.
Myspace/facebook. Dont really even touch myspace other than to upload photos of dyes.
Chase - Good for checking my account balance on the fly
Ebay - Dont use this too much lately.
Wikipanion
Pandora - A must. I stream it all day at work.
Lose it! - Calorie counter I used to use. Dropped 15 pounds in a month by logging my calorie intake
C25K - Couch to 5K running program designed to get you from your couch to running a 5K in 9 or so weeks.
Blizzard Authenticator - A MUST if you play WoW. helps keep your account super secure and VERY difficult to hack
Timesheet - I use this for work because I work for a private engineer. I log all my drafting/engineering times with this and mail it to him.
Knocking vid - I JUST got this today cuz a friend told me to. They finally released an API ap, capable of streamlining live video from phone to phone. Only tested it once with a friend, but seems to have a pretty good refresh rate.

page 2, most is just junk.
WoW armory, Warcraftstat - see if my server is up or down after patch day, WoW characters, myLite (flashlight),
Mywireless - Pay your At&T bill in just a couple of seconds
Google earth, Keeper (A password/info keeper), Paypal, Shazam, Flixter (Great for finding movie times and availability near me)
Carpenter - I use this for work a bit when I need to find angles of pieces of metal welded to parts.
Golf mate - Score keeper, NewEgg, Geocaching, DGG (DG distance measure...Not the greatest)
AppBox Pro - Tons of tools in here. I use it to convert Metric to standard for work here and there. But it's got a TON of things in it.

Games
Geared, Wildwest pinball, Flight control, AC World
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.