Math Puzzles (Read the Rules!)

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Math Puzzles (Read the Rules!)

Postby ChUcK » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:05 am

I don't have time to really work on it, but I can get 500 lbs of grain to the destination with a lot left over at the start and a pissed-off, stranded camel. I can't yet figure out how to get the camel to the destination twice.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby Timko » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:26 am

That's more than I can get there. You need to take smaller "steps." So move the grain all the grain to spot 1, then all the grain to spot 2, etc.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Parks » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:17 pm

Going off of Chiggins hint that max efficiency is carrying 1,000 lbs at a time, I can get about 1,400 lbs of grain to the city.

Basically, you need to move 10,000 lbs at the start, and the most efficient way to do this based on the hint would be 10 trips to the cache. This would be 19 half trips, since you don't have to return to the start once you've taken the last load to the cache.

Since carrying 1,000 lbs at a time is max efficiency, you want your cache sites to have a number of lbs evenly divisible by that amount. For reasons I'll explain in a second, your cache sizes should each be 1,000 lbs less than the last, so the first cache will be 9,000 lbs as Chiggins explained.

So your first cache trip looks like: (10,000lbs x 19z1 mile trips) = 9,000lbs, so z1 = ~52.6 miles to the first cache.

Then your next trip you want to move 9,000lbs to an 8,000lbs cache z2 miles away. Now, to move 9,000lbs, you need 17 trips (2 x (grain at start / 1000 lbs) - 1). So the number of trips is decreasing at each step. This is why you want to only cache in 1,000lb increments, because your efficiency goes up as your cache size decreases. So, (9,000lbs x 17z2 mile trips) = 8,000lbs leaves us with z2 at 58.8 miles to the 2nd cache from the first, for a total of ~111.4mi traveled.

Continue in this manner until we are at about 800 miles (rounding off, I came to 799.8m) with 2,000lbs in your final cache. Then the city is within reach so you can make a two way trip at a cost of 400lbs of grain, leaving 600 lbs at the city and 1,000 in your last cache. Then you make a one way trip for 200 lbs and you get another 800lbs to the city, for a total of 1,400lbs of grain.

I'm certain there's a much more elegant way to represent the math, but this was just kind of following my thought process without formalizing it.

I'm pretty sure this is correct, but there could be a better way so I won't post my puzzle until I get confirmation on this. [edit]Searching online, it looks like this is right, so I'll post my puzzle.[/edit]
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby chiggins » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:28 pm

Parks wrote:Going off of Chiggins hint that max efficiency is carrying 1,000 lbs at a time, I can get about 1,400 lbs of grain to the city.

Ed McMahon says: You are correct, sir!

Nice work, I'd be beating my head against the wall until Christmas of next year trying to crack that one.

Parks wrote:I'm certain there's a much more elegant way to represent the math, but this was just kind of following my thought process without formalizing it.

I'm pretty sure this is correct, but there could be a better way so I won't post my puzzle until I get confirmation on this.

Nope, that is exactly how it's represented. Here's the solution, and it's formatted about the way you did it.

Your move!
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Parks » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:33 pm

You have a lighter and two ropes which each take 60 minutes to burn from one end to the other. However, the ropes do not burn at a uniform rate, so it might take 50 minutes to burn 10% of the rope, and then 10 minutes to burn the other 90%. Also, the first rope burns at different rates from the second rope, so you can't compare the two by looking at their relative lengths.

Using only these three items, how can you measure exactly 45 minutes?
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Luke » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:46 pm

Even though I'm banned, I'll answer this one.

Light one end of one rope, and both ends of the second rope.

Then, when the second rope is all gone, at 30 minutes, light the the other end of the first rope, which, going double time will only have 15 minutes left.

Here is an easy one, but I don't know too many off hand.

You go to the store, averaging 60 miles an hour. On the way back, you take the exact same route, except there is traffic and you average 40 miles an hour. What is your average speed during the trip?
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby jubuttib » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:12 pm

Buh, hope anyone didn't see my last post before I deleted it. Anyway, I think it's 48 mph, but I don't want to come up with the next one, at least tonight, so I'll leave my reasoning out.

Not counting the time spent in the store of course, since it wasn't specified, just the traveling part of the trip. ;)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby ChUcK » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:01 pm

48 is indeed the correct answer.

Assume a 20 mile round trip.

First 10 miles are covered averaging 60mph => takes 10 minutes
Second 10 miles covered averaging 40mph => takes 15 minutes.

20mi/25min = 48 mph.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ChUcK » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:07 pm

Bukowski is thinking of hiring you to help him bet on the ponies at the track. In order to get the job (and who wouldn't want to be his assistant) you have to solve this problem:

There are 16 horses, each with different constant speeds. The quantitative speeds are unknown, but qualitatively the horses never change speeds. With only your wits, and a racetrack that can run heats of four horses maximum at once, figure out the four fastest horses. No stopwatches are in sight.

You'll only get the job if you can find the horses quickly (fewest possible # of heats) because Bukowski is currently sober and if you take too long to figure it out, he'll head to the bar without you and hire the first bum he sees. This is your big chance!
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Luke » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:27 pm

That's a good one, and I think I got it, but I want to see some other thoughts on it and I don't want to think of another puzzle.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby ChUcK » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:43 am

PM me your answer, I always enjoy seeing the way this problem is solved by various personalities.
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:54 am

Damn, I'm totally falling asleep on my own thread. I'm having too much fun reading the lolz in Up In Smoke.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby veganray » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:03 am

Run four random horses in heat one. Top 3 run again & fourth is put into a holding pen.
Add one of the yet-to-run horses for heat two. Top 3 run again & fourth is put into the holding pen.
Repeat this process until every horse has run at least once (13 heats).
This will yield the three fastest horses, finishers 1, 2, & 3 in heat thirteen.

To find the 4th fastest, run four random horses from the holding pen in heat one. This time, only the winner runs again & the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th place horses are summarily euthanized.
Repeat this second process, removing three horses from the holding pen each time) until only one horse (the winner of the fourth & final heat) is left alive. This is the 4th fastest horse overall.

This method will yield the fastest 4 horses in 17 heats.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby veganray » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:06 am

I'll bet you $100 that if you give me $200, I will give you $300 in return.

Would you bet with me? Why?
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby chiggins » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:40 am

ChUcK wrote:With only your wits, and a racetrack that can run heats of four horses maximum at once, figure out the four fastest horses.

Question: are we figuring out which four horses are the fastest, and the order of those four, or are we simply finding which four are the fastest without regard to how those four finish?
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.