Optimizing your computer.

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Optimizing your computer.

Postby Jerrod » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:19 pm

Yeah nothing odd about an 8800GT. I think the strides Ubuntu had made to create a truly n00b friendly (and not just a nix n00b but someone who is really computer illiterate) are pretty amazing. Not just on the desktop either. Their clustering and cloud stuff is pretty impressive as well. I tried to get my mother-in-law on Ubuntu about 3 years ago and it just wasn't there yet. Now I think I could pull it off. Though I know more about Linux than I used to and that is part of it as well.
Coyote Point Local
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

Postby Lithicon » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:36 pm

I'd say this was around the time that the 8800GT was having some lots of issues with compatibility, cause when I first got mine they had some screwy drivers and half the time they didn't work on Windows systems. Let alone anything else. The GT's were kind of an odd ball card. Everyone else had GTS's or something.

But, I've always ran nothing, and just keep a back up hd and throw all my important stuff on there. I reformat every 5-6 months IF I have to. It's not worth it trying to run silly firewalls or anti-virus spyware stuff on a personal PC. Run firefox or google and be done with it. But, if I'm working on someone's PC and they request some sort of combination. I usually go with Free AVG, and Adaware. They're pretty rock solid and they're free. But, nothing speeds up your pc with software really. Defrag and stuff like that if you really want to speed it up without reinstalling your OS.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby sunspot » Wed May 05, 2010 1:45 pm

Would having a registary cleaner work?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Previous

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.