Wine

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Wine

Postby Glock23 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:24 pm

Anyone else on here into wine? I just started a little while ago, but really enjoy it. I'm into Merlots, and reds, but sometimes a reisling is a nice chage of pace.

My favorite so far is Clos du Bois Merlot. It is $20-$25 a bottle, but I really like it. The wine I drink more often is Matthew Fox Merlot, Shiraz, and Cabernet. they are only available in Ohio and are pretty good for a lower price wine.

The worst wine I have had was a Beringer White Merlot.

Feel free to post reccomendations or reviews or wines you have had.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby Solty » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:31 pm

i prefer on my budget...a nice bottle of Yellow Tail Shiraz/Cabranet. and if i remember to hit the W&S...i'll pickup a bottle of Bully Hill - Love My Goat.

Both of which are middle of the run red's.
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby sleepy » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:00 pm

I like pinot noir's and shiraz/syrah's for reds, but a good sangiovese is nice as well. I'm not really into whites too much yet, but my girlfriend loves reisling's and rose's so I drink them on occasion as well.

I too like my wines on a budget, and won't spend more than $15 a bottle unless it's a special occasion. I get most of them from Trader Joe's. I don't really have a favorite as I buy different brands each time.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby deaddisc » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:59 am

I am also a bit of a wine drinker (understatement of the century so says my gf). I really like yellow tail and yellow tail reserve for the cheaper stuff, either chardonay or shiraz. Also, I love Fortisimo. Which is a good Italian red wine that comes in a gallon jug. Not too pricey, think it is like 20 dollars for the gallon but it is great wine. I have recently gotten into wines from Argentina with my favorites being of the Malbec variety, all brands have been decent. Finally a nice Greg Norman Chard is a great cheap (12-15$) bottle for any occasion.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:21 am

sleepy wrote:but a good sangiovese is nice as well.

My wife and I are big sangiovese fans as well. If you haven't, you should try tempranillo sometime, too. It's a Spanish wine that reminds me of sangiovese. I don't remember the exact name, but I know "The Dragon" was part of the name of the one we tried.

A couple of weeks ago we tried Three Thieves pino noir not knowing it came in a litre jug. It was at a locally owned restaurant and the owner served us the wine and then brough us all sickers that read "I 'heart' jugs" and had the wine's logo in the heart. We liked it a lot, both the stickers and the wine.

I'll drink about anything as far as wine is concerned. My father in law has taken up wine making so we drink what he makes quite a bit. He has several batches going at any one time, each batch makes 30 bottles and he's not much of a wine drinker. He makes a killer Reisling.

We prefer buying wine from wineries that we visit and taste at. It seems more fun that way and you get to reminise about the mini vacation you took. There are a surprising number of wineries in the midwest. When we buy wines at regular stores, we stick to the sub $15 wines and my wife generally chooses by label. I seem to prefer New Zeland, Chilean and Italian wines, but I don't actively seek them out.

There's a blend called "Menage Tois" (sp?) that comes in both red and white that we like a lot. They're not fancy and complex, but they are easy to drink and goes with lots of different foods. Yellow Tail is always a safe bet, and inexpensive. There's a brand called Wild Horse that makes a good pinot noir. Gabbiano Chiani is one of our favorites, too. We have friends that swear by Dynamite, but it's on the "pricier" ($20/bottle) side. Anyone in Portland, OR should check out the Edgefield wines. We liked them and the McMenamins (sp?) places are fun to visit. They have good restaurants, too.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:55 am

We are big into the grape juice.

I am always hunting for a great buy. I recently picked up a case of $20/btl wine for $5/btl.

I've tried hundreds of different vintages over the years, with many favorites.
My extended family is full of amateur sommeliers, so we always try to upstage each other at the holidays.

If I was wealthy, I would drink nothing but...

Tedesche Amarone.

By far, this is the best wine that has ever crossed my lips.

8)
~~~some rise, some fall, some climb to get to Terrapin~~~
~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby eg37167 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:49 pm

My wife and I really like Rieslings, particularly Late Harvest. Kiona is a great brand. Our tastes run more to dessert type wines.
eg37167
Tree Magnet

Postby Luckyg71 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:03 pm

I prefer a little MadDog 2020, grape.

Actually I drank wine all the time when I was on vacation in Europe, but in the states I cant seem to find one I like.
The road goes on forever and the party never ends
Luckyg71
Tree Magnet

Postby Glock23 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:46 pm

I wish I could afford to always dink the $20 and up wines. I typically end up with the $5-$10 bottles. A local store carries a pretty good merlot that is only $3.29 a bottle. :D
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby redspexxx » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:22 am

thunderbird.
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby mothrows » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:12 am

strawberry hill. The girls loved it in high school :)
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby Rooster » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:25 am

2 buck chuck!

im not a wine drinker at all. give me a good porter over a good wine any day.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:40 am

Rooster wrote:2 buck chuck!

im not a wine drinker at all. give me a good porter over a good wine any day.

that's okay...

nobody's perfect.

:D

I do like my gourmet microbrews as well.
Nothing like sipping a well-aged barley wine, and puffing a cohiba.
~~~some rise, some fall, some climb to get to Terrapin~~~
~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:54 pm

As a cigar smoker, I prefer port (brand never has mattered to me). I can't afford all the stuff y'all mentioned, but I will start trying them a bottle a month maybe.

I actually like chiante as well. But, nothing like a glass of port and a bowl of tobacco.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:10 pm

ImageRoot One Cabernet Sauvignon is Fantastic.
This is one of my most favorite wines.

From the Bottle:

Deep ruby color, intense aromas of red fruits and cassis, with some hints of vanilla. Well balanced with soft tannins and good structure. Abundance of fruit flavors like cherries and plums, with a complex and long finish.

The grapes for Root:1 are hand picked from two of Chile’s most well known viticultural regions, Maipo and Colchagua. The wine is grown, harvested, blended, and bottled to create a balanced, fruit forward, expressive Cabernet true to the terroir of Chile’s best viticultural regions.

Playboy rates it 3 bunnies out of 4 which is a pretty good rating for Playboy.
http://www.playboy.com/style/reviews/drinks/04-24/
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.