Linux

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Linux

Postby dgdave » Sat May 01, 2010 12:00 pm

How difficult would it be to learn with a decent amount of computer knowledge, but no knowledge on developing?

I've recently had an urge to try and learn to develop ROMs using Linux kernals. I watched a pretty interesting doc on Linux and open source this morning and it made me want to start even more.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Re: Linux

Postby jubuttib » Sat May 01, 2010 12:25 pm

Depends on what you're trying to do, but you can get by with Linux if you have decent amount of computer knowledge. If you're going to be learning developing, it's as good a starting point as any. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby tgm » Sat May 01, 2010 1:14 pm

You don't need to be a developer to learn Linux. I moved my father and brother over to it and neither of them are really computer people.

I'm not sure what sort of ROMs you're referring to (emulator games?), but that will likely take a bit more effort than simply learning the operating system. But honestly, if you're fairly bright, a few months and you should be doing alright. There's a ton of information available out there and the Linux community is all about helping out.
sols, trak, pd/teebird, firebird, buzzz, ridge, summit
tgm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby jubuttib » Sat May 01, 2010 1:37 pm

tgm wrote:There's a ton of information available out there and the Linux community is all about helping out.

Nah, it's all about the Windows bashing. But they are helpful.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby keltik » Sat May 01, 2010 6:28 pm

I've been using Ubuntu Linux since 2007 and the only thing really holding the rest of my family back from using it is the wireless issues. but most releases of Ubuntu and it's derivatives are easy to learn and get going with. I suggest Mint Linux as a good starter. It comes preloaded with all the necessary video codecs etc.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JohnnyB » Sun May 02, 2010 12:07 pm

jubuttib wrote:
tgm wrote:There's a ton of information available out there and the Linux community is all about helping out.

Nah, it's all about the Windows bashing. But they are helpful.

This is true. It's important to phrase your question correctly.
Something like "I'm having issues getting my video card drivers to work properly in ubuntu." Will be ignored while
"Man linux sucks. Windows automatically finds my hardware and drivers and works perfectly. Ubuntu just bitches and throws out artifacts all over the place."
Will be answered with at least a dozen different solutions.
"A hedgehog was also killed"
JohnnyB
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Star tee-rex

Postby BLURR » Mon May 03, 2010 7:23 am

JohnnyB wrote:This is true. It's important to phrase your question correctly.
Something like "I'm having issues getting my video card drivers to work properly in ubuntu." Will be ignored while
"Man linux sucks. Windows automatically finds my hardware and drivers and works perfectly. Ubuntu just bitches and throws out artifacts all over the place."
Will be answered with at least a dozen different solutions.

Ha ha ha...so true.

Ubuntu or KUbuntu are both good choices for a first time linux install. Very easy to install for the most part. I have encountered a few hang ups with NVidia based graphics cards, but all in all it is very easy to do. It also gives you access to one of the best email programs on the planet in Evolution.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby biodarwin » Mon May 03, 2010 9:31 am

JohnnyB wrote: It also gives you access to one of the best email programs on the planet in Evolution.

Unless you use IMAP and then it freezes, A LOT.
Orc | Valkyrie | Teebird | Leopard | Buzz | Aviar
Buy/Sell/Trade??? http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16798&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
biodarwin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc,Leopard,Teebird

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.