Bourban, wiskey or wisky

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Bourban, wiskey or wisky

Postby Monocacy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:29 am

bill wrote:Image

the doublewood is gooooood

Yes, after sampling a fair variety of whisky in Scotland, that is what we brought back.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Luke » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:54 am

Knob Creeke is my favorite. Jack and Maker's Mark come in pretty close. I do alright with some Bulleit, too.

Jim if I'm having too many people over. Evan if we're already drunk.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby some call me...tim? » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:10 am

I've found that whiskey isn't as popular on the west coast, particularly the NW, as it was in my native south, which works for me.
Typically heard on any given camping trip:
"Anyone got something to drink?"
"I've got whiskey."
"...anyone else got something to drink?" :mrgreen:

Dickel is my go to standard bourbon, better than Jack and cheaper, sometimes harder to find out here though. If I'm feeling a little more high falutin', I'll go for something a little higher on the shelf. I tried Elijah Craig recently, and didn't think it was bad, but it wasn't my favorite. Had some Buffalo Trace last week, which I liked a lot. Maker's is always a good bet, but I've been liking Bulleit the best lately (plus I feel like I could be hanging with Al Swearengen when I pour it.) Oh yeah, seeing Luke's post, Knob is a damn fine drink too.
Last edited by some call me...tim? on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby zj1002 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:16 am

im still recovering from last nights Bulleit
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:55 am

My wife had buffalo trace at a friends recently and claimed it was good. So I bought a bottle of it to replace my midshelf spot (I usually have 3 whiskeys on hand) and it is not quite cutting it. Its better than my beam/evan, but its no woodsford or bulleit.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby some call me...tim? » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:10 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:My wife had buffalo trace at a friends recently and claimed it was good. So I bought a bottle of it to replace my midshelf spot (I usually have 3 whiskeys on hand) and it is not quite cutting it. Its better than my beam/evan, but its no woodsford or bulleit.

I'd agree with that, though I haven't had Woodsford. I picked up the Buffalo Trace b/c it was on a good sale, but normally I think it's like $5 more expensive than Bulleit. Funny how that works.

I also tried Jim Beam Black recently because it was on sale, and was pleasantly surprised.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:20 am

In my early days of drinkin' it was Wild Turkey 101 all the time. Strange thing to start drinking on, my interest came from a boss I had at the time who drank it religiously and it was one of many items in Raoul Dukes' case of goodies in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (so it's gotta be cool, right?). Nowdays my whiskey drink of choice is probably good ol Pikesville Rye on the rocks, the price is right and to me it's damn tasty.

The Pikesville hangs out at home but if I'm out I mix it up between: Makers on the rocks, Jameson and Jim&Gingers.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Monocacy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:14 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:Nowdays my whiskey drink of choice is probably good ol Pikesville Rye on the rocks, the price is right and to me it's damn tasty.

Pikesville Rye also makes a fine Manhattan with orange bitters.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby krazybronco » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:37 pm

Jaysus wrote:
krazybronco wrote:ok there are 55 pages of beer but dont get me wrong i love a beer after a round but what about bourbon

my personaly favs right now are Four Roses and also Elijah Craig 12 year old

but the question is what are you sipping tonight

The Elijah Craig 12 year old is my daily pour... lucky for me PA state stores only sell it in half gallon bottles - and it seems to be on sale every other month.

This pic is a few months old; the Eagle Rare and Bookers are both RIP, and there is also a handle of Jim Beam Black in there now.

I got a free handle of Jim Beam white last year, and I've been using it as my DG flask drink... mostly because when I pull out the flask it gets shared - lol

P.S. I LOVE bourbon.

i completely forgot about eagle rare o my gosh how could i forget but the bookers is a little to strong for me i just cant get past the tast of the alchole taste but if you have never had woodfords sweet mash it is alot different than any other bourbon i have ever had (a little pricey for me around 100 a bottle) but the one bourbon i want to try is called Blantons it comes in a cool bottle that has a metal horse on the cork

but the good thing for me is the coffee shop i work at now has a bar and we have alot of higher end whiskeys so i can afford a glass of the high end stuff everyonce and awhile
NS destoryer, wraiths, beasts, firebird, teebird, leopard, rocs, and aviars
krazybronco
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: prefer 11x Teebird

Postby Parks » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:19 pm

JR wrote:But the OP text was somewhat puzzling because whiskey is processed beer. Distilled and matured in oak casks for at least three years. So the difference between beer and whiskey ain't that great IMO.

This certainly doesn't follow.

This coming from someone who enjoy's just about any style of beer.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:58 pm

:lol: when did they start making whiskey out of beer?....
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby JR » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:46 am

Jesse B 707 wrote::lol: when did they start making whiskey out of beer?....

I don't know if the processes of making whiskey have changed over time so I can't tell. A whiskey enthusiast told me that in Scotland there is a law that states that anything called a whiskey (or whatever the correct spelling is over there) has to matured in a cask for at least 3 years.

Spot the similarities to brewing beer: http://www.whisky.com/production.html
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:37 am

As a mildly experienced Whiskey/Bourbon drinker, I will certainly second Bills note on the Balvenie. Best scotch I have had, which is a pretty short list, but it is tasty. I have had much more experience with American whiskeys, and boubons are where it's at. Top shelf stuff includes Elijah Craig 18 year old, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, and any one of a number of other small batch products. If you are out at a bar, Makers on the rocks is hard to beat, sort of an industry standard, IMO. Both the 101 and 80 proof varieties of Wild Turkey are solid, and Woodford reserve has make a nice name for itsself. 1787 is an interesting product, a pour over ice give you a chance to experience a little bite at first, but it mellows nicely in a few minutes. If you are mixing, Jack, Jim, and GDickel are all fine, with Dickel being the sweetest. I once priced having an entire barrel of Jack Daniels bottled for me. 144 fifths of liquor, and the barrel it came from, all shipped to your door, for the low, low price of $7500. At least everyone would know what they were getting for Christmas!
KP
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Craft Discs

Postby krazybronco » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:23 pm

Parks wrote:
JR wrote:But the OP text was somewhat puzzling because whiskey is processed beer. Distilled and matured in oak casks for at least three years. So the difference between beer and whiskey ain't that great IMO.

This certainly doesn't follow.

This coming from someone who enjoy's just about any style of beer.

Bourbon has its own laws to be called bourbon
1 made from 51% corn
2 has to be aged a min of 3 years in a brand new oak barrel
3 and can be no more than 135 proof

but here is the intersting part, the yeast that is used is most of the time to make bourbon is from the orginal string of yeast used a long time ago that is why most boubon is called "sour mash". now if the bourbon is called a "sweet mash" is made from a new string of yeast. just some random info
NS destoryer, wraiths, beasts, firebird, teebird, leopard, rocs, and aviars
krazybronco
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: prefer 11x Teebird

Postby jubuttib » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:56 pm

krazybronco wrote:2 has to be aged a min of 3 years in a brand new oak barrel

I was at a whiskey tasting a few days ago and the guy holding it said that particular legislation was great for the Irish and Scotch distilleries, who use their barrels for a long time. No need to cut down trees and spend the money to make new ones (those barrels aren't exactly cheap or quick to make properly), just buy the old ones from the States.

Probably originally introduced by people who sold oak. And coopers.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.