Bourban, wiskey or wisky

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Bourban, wiskey or wisky

Postby garublador » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:01 am

JR wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote::lol: when did they start making whiskey out of beer?....

I don't know if the processes of making whiskey have changed over time so I can't tell. A whiskey enthusiast told me that in Scotland there is a law that states that anything called a whiskey (or whatever the correct spelling is over there) has to matured in a cask for at least 3 years.

Spot the similarities to brewing beer: http://www.whisky.com/production.html
You mean they take some sort of plant that has sugar in it, do something to it to get the sugar out and then ferment the sugar to make alcohol? That's amazing! It's also pretty much all alcoholic beverages are made. Saying that two of them is similar is like saying a putter is like a distance driver because they're both injection molded. Why have a separate thread for both the Wizard and the PD? They're both just plastic circles. :roll:
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby J-Bolt » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:17 am

While my daily drinks are usually blends(egad!) and soda, when sipping the good stuff I keep a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle's 15yr Family reserve. Always have a bottle on hand.
J-Bolt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Vacant

Postby JR » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:01 am

garublador wrote:
JR wrote:

I don't know if the processes of making whiskey have changed over time so I can't tell. A whiskey enthusiast told me that in Scotland there is a law that states that anything called a whiskey (or whatever the correct spelling is over there) has to matured in a cask for at least 3 years.

You mean they take some sort of plant that has sugar in it, do something to it to get the sugar out and then ferment the sugar to make alcohol? That's amazing! It's also pretty much all alcoholic beverages are made. Saying that two of them is similar is like saying a putter is like a distance driver because they're both injection molded. Why have a separate thread for both the Wizard and the PD? They're both just plastic circles. :roll:

In between inserting words to my mouth you could watch Oz & James drink to Britain part 3 and get back to this board about the relation of whiskey and beer. Hint: After the Dutch Open I had Jopen Genever. Jopen is a brewery/distillery. An American guy at the bar where I had it said that the Dutch are so stingy that when a beer gets too old to sell they distill it into a spirit. Hence Jopen mainly known for beers made a spirit which I had. And did not enjoy. Bad moonshine. I've had raspberry flavored genever before and that was good.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:09 am

garublador wrote: Why have a separate thread for both the Wizard and the PD? They're both just plastic circles. :roll:

This may be the best statement I have ever read.

I would almost want this thread broken into 3 or 4. Bourbon (including other american whiskeys), Scotch, Irish Canadian . . . Not "well its basically beer so why not merge the two"
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Jaysus » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:27 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:
garublador wrote: Why have a separate thread for both the Wizard and the PD? They're both just plastic circles. :roll:

This may be the best statement I have ever read.

I would almost want this thread broken into 3 or 4. Bourbon (including other american whiskeys), Scotch, Irish Canadian . . . Not "well its basically beer so why not merge the two"

Yeah, I am definitively on team Garublador here, maybe it is a language issue, but JR is a bit inaccurate with some of his statements.

P.S. I am also on team TDK, as I'd love to see this thread dedicated to bourbon (and to have the thread title spelled correctly ;) ).
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dump truck » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:38 pm

Been doing a lot of cross training lately. Getting ready for a trip to Scotland next Sept.

What I've been drinking lately that's worth mention.

Scotch:
Oban
Balvenie 15 yr
Lagavulin
Ardbeg
Johnny Walker Green and Gold labels

Tequila:
Partida
Corzo
Don Julio (1942 preferably)
omega/rhyno/comet/torque/hornet/valk/pd/nuke/destroyer
Dump truck
Tree Magnet

Postby garublador » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:56 pm

JR wrote:
garublador wrote:
JR wrote:

In between inserting words to my mouth you could watch Oz & James drink to Britain part 3 and get back to this board about the relation of whiskey and beer. Hint: After the Dutch Open I had Jopen Genever. Jopen is a brewery/distillery. An American guy at the bar where I had it said that the Dutch are so stingy that when a beer gets too old to sell they distill it into a spirit. Hence Jopen mainly known for beers made a spirit which I had. And did not enjoy. Bad moonshine. I've had raspberry flavored genever before and that was good.
No words inserted. You suggested this thread is the same as the beer thread because they're made similarly, which is directly analogous to suggesting the Wizard and PD thread should be merged for the same reason. It's pretty obvious that you can take anything with alcohol, distill it, age it and drink it, but that doesn't make whisk(e)y similar enough to beer to suggest that they don't both deserve their own threads.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby JR » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:28 am

I'm not saying that the threads can't be separate. Have you watched that episode? Do it and then take your argument to them because James says that before maturation in a cask distilled beer is just a spirit. Which after three years in a cask becomes whiskey when combined another thing he said about the three year rule. That to me means whisley is distilled beer with cask maturation. These days there are a lot of beers that are matured in used whiskey casks so recycling works :-) Many of those beers are quite nice and each one I've tasted have steep prices.

So I'm saying your analogies don't work and don't apply to me. Listen to the Brits they should know something about the drink their ancestors invented.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:49 am

eli wrote:Been doing a lot of cross training lately. Getting ready for a trip to Scotland next Sept.

What I've been drinking lately that's worth mention.

Scotch:

Lagavulin

Tequila:
Don Julio (1942 preferably)

Two of the best liquors I have ever consumed. 1942, not just regular anjeo. As I said earlier I work at a tequila bar. We charge 14$ a shot for 1942, and it is comparable to our 24-44$ a shot tequilas.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Dump truck » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:02 pm

The only problem with 1942 is that the bottle goes so damn quick in my house...
omega/rhyno/comet/torque/hornet/valk/pd/nuke/destroyer
Dump truck
Tree Magnet

Postby mark12b » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:29 pm

Ah, autumn is here. No hard and fast rules but I usually go with gin in the warmer months and whiskey/whisky when it's cooler.

Agreed on the Balvenie Doublewood, that is nectar of the gods. I think right now the only scotch I've got is Cragganmore 12, which is good too. Last bottle I finished was Macallan 12. The highlands scotches are so easy to love. Eventually I'll have to diversify to some other regions.

Whiskey, for shots I like Gentleman Jack more than regular black label Jack, it's smoother. Bulleit is fine, though for sipping I prefer scotch and for cocktails I like Maker's. Mmmm, Maker's Mark Manhattan. Around St. Patrick's Day I'll get in the mood for Bushmill's.

I need to pick up some rye. I had a great cocktail last night, the Red Hook. It's rye, maraschino liqueur, and Punt e Mes vermouth (a red vermouth that's not as sweet as most), with an orange twist. Delicious cousin to the Manhattan.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:09 pm

Single malt whiskey is pretty much distilled and matured beer, minus the hops. And the hops make a big difference. Ain't no beer without the hops.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Jaysus » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:25 pm

jubuttib wrote:Single malt whiskey is pretty much distilled and matured beer, minus the hops. And the hops make a big difference. Ain't no beer without the hops.

well, yeah... that and that there also "ain't no beer" until yeast is pitched and fermentation has taken place.

So.... no hops, no yeast, no fermentation, no alcohol, no co2... I'm not really seeing the correlation between the two other than what Garublador has already pointed out. Image
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:07 pm

That is like saying that a picasso and a pollock are the same thing because they both have paint and canvas. The process is what its all about.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby mark12b » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:42 pm

ya'll know that whisky (scotch) and beer are both made from malted barley, right? the malty flavors come through in both. they're similar in the way that brandy and wine are both made from grapes. but other whiskeys are made from other grains (e.g. bourbon is mostly corn), so they're not really related to beer.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.