Bourban, wiskey or wisky

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Bourban, wiskey or wisky

Postby garublador » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:34 am

mark12b wrote:ya'll know that whisky (scotch) and beer are both made from malted barley, right?
They make Ovaltine out of it, too. Does that mean it's confusing when someone makes a thread about Scotch even though there's already a thread about Ovaltine because the difference "ain't that great"?
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby mark12b » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:41 am

haha, well, i do see the potential for a "scotch vs. beer vs. ovaltine" thread! :lol:
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:29 pm

Jaysus wrote:well, yeah... that and that there also "ain't no beer" until yeast is pitched and fermentation has taken place.

So.... no hops, no yeast, no fermentation, no alcohol, no co2... I'm not really seeing the correlation between the two other than what Garublador has already pointed out. Image

I'll give you the yeast, but whiskey is definitely fermented. There are also some sources that agree with at least single malt scotch being very similar with beer.

Personally I don't really give a damn.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Jaysus » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:28 am

Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:58 am

Tee hee Jaysus prepare to hit your head against the wall again. I just had a glass of A. Le Coq Kvassi which had no hops in the ingredient list. I haven't checked thoroughly but I would think yeast is an ingredient in making whiskey. So to the wort (hope that's the correct word) stage beer and whiskey are close. If not identical in some cases. Apples schmapples. Oranges Morangie. Or Glen Moran.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:12 pm

JR: That's not that big a deal, I've drunk a Faxe product that didn't have water in the ingredients list... =)

Anyway, back on topic: I used to enjoy whiskey quite a lot, but then I developed a pretty significant gag reflex to the smell of it. I've since dabbled with it again, and can stand the smell. Though I have to say, the only whiskey I've found enjoyable has been Glenmorangie (and some bourbons, like Four Roses, if mixed with a bit of water).

Laphroaig has a nice smoky taste in my mouth, but the aftertaste makes me think of an ashtray. Can anyone recommend me a smoky single malt with a more subdued aftertaste?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:12 pm

Sorry not a whiskey expert but IIRC Macallan 30s style has a more bitter flavor of smoke that ain't as strong as Laphroaig 18 year old cask strength. Younger 12 year old Laphroaig ain't as strongly smoked as that Macallan. So it depends on what you've had. Maybe some Highland Park would work. Generally younger whiskeys aren't as smoky as older ones from the same line in my limited experience. Have you tasted the expensive and smooth Lagavulin? The older ones that aren't often available in Alko are very much better than the great 12 year old. I recommend that you just buy a taster in a restaurant instead of a whole bottle because in Finland they are pricey to say the least :-(

That Kvass style beer (low alcohol content) kalja in Finnish ain't that hoppy tasting. Malts rule there and i can't wow that there is zero hop content but it is possible. Thus straying away from the normal rule of thumb for beer ingredients being water, malted grain (wheat is pretty common in Europe too and rye rare but available), hop and yeast.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:04 am

Maybe Glenfiddich 14 years old might suit you. 12 year old is a little smokier according to a barmaid i asked about this.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Dump truck » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:40 pm

Finally bought some laphroaig last night to try it out. Just got the 10 yr. Not too bad. Sounds like the cask strength is more of what I'm looking for.

Also recently got Peat Monster from Compass Box. Pretty good blended islay Mmmmmm
omega/rhyno/comet/torque/hornet/valk/pd/nuke/destroyer
Dump truck
Tree Magnet

Postby Monocacy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:30 pm

Monocacy wrote:Pikesville Rye also makes a fine Manhattan with orange bitters.

As does Rittenhouse Bonded 100 Proof Rye. Mmmm, yummy. Not bad for sipping on the rocks, either.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby mark12b » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:51 pm

jubuttib wrote:Laphroaig has a nice smoky taste in my mouth, but the aftertaste makes me think of an ashtray. Can anyone recommend me a smoky single malt with a more subdued aftertaste?

Maybe Oban? Very smoky and IIRC doesn't have that medicinal taste like Laphroaig 10.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:22 pm

Oban would probably be my choice for a smooth smokey.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Eric O » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:17 pm

How bout scotch? I usually drink bourbon when I drink whisky at all, but the last couple days have been for scotch. Helped move some stuff out of my friend's office yesterday and we ran across a bottle of Chivas 12 he forgot about. I also forgot how much I like that stuff. Then today my wife's brother came along with a pretty tasty single malt by the name of Glenmorangie Astar. It had a spicy little bite with a smooth finish that left almost no aftertaste. Better than the Chivas 12 I'd say.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:40 am

I am also a bourbon guy (sure its been mentioned in this thread) but since the snow I have been jonesin for some scotch. I am cheap (better worded poor) so I have been nursing a bottle of dewars white label. (Better than my grandma who drank passport). I do get to taste good scotches regularly at bars, and could probably afford it at home, but whatever I would rather spend my money on frisbees.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby garublador » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:58 am

Monocacy wrote:
bill wrote:Image

the doublewood is gooooood

Yes, after sampling a fair variety of whisky in Scotland, that is what we brought back.
Last weekend I found out that Costco sells it for $10-$13 cheaper than any of the other stores around here. We're totally getting a membership.
garublador
Disc Whore

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.