Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Bourban, wiskey or wisky

Postby Dump truck » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:28 pm

garublador wrote:
Monocacy wrote:
bill wrote:Image

the doublewood is gooooood

Yes, after sampling a fair variety of whisky in Scotland, that is what we brought back.
Last weekend I found out that Costco sells it for $10-$13 cheaper than any of the other stores around here. We're totally getting a membership.

I really need to try the doublewood. I've only had the 15yr for now. I also just noticed they make a 17yr peated.

Texas has goofy ass liquor laws so Costco liquor has to be separate from the rest of the store so you don't have to have a membership to buy alcohol... When I went in Denver you didn't have to have one either but I did get shut down in Miami.
omega/rhyno/comet/torque/hornet/valk/pd/nuke/destroyer
Dump truck
Tree Magnet

Postby Timko » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:24 pm

Right now, I've got a bottle of Maker's in my cupboard. I prefer bourbon when I'm drinking liquor; rocks or neat. I've also been messing around with rye whiskeys over the past year. My favorite is a small batched called Templeton Rye. Where most corn whiskeys have a lingering sweet flavor, rye whiskey has a much more subtle finish (sort of like scotch).

My current cocktail fascination is a Sazerac. It's an old US drink from the 1800's with bitters, bourbon, and sugar, with a hint of absinthe washing the glass to give it a fantastic floral bouquet. Some of my female friends who can't stand the taste of bourbon enjoy this.

If I was to purchase a $40-50 bottle of bourbon, what would people suggest? I'm always looking for something new to try.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Timko » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:26 pm

J-Bolt wrote:While my daily drinks are usually blends(egad!) and soda, when sipping the good stuff I keep a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle's 15yr Family reserve. Always have a bottle on hand.

I had a special cask of this at an upscale restaraunt here in KC (Jullian, home of the Next Iron Chef Celina Tio), and was very, very impressed with this blend. How much does a bottle of this run?
Timko

Postby Timko » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:30 pm

Also rocking a Cazadores Anejo after a suggestion from the 707 on this forum.
Timko

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:39 pm

Has anyone tried Wild Turkey Rye?
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Monocacy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:15 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:Has anyone tried Wild Turkey Rye?

Yup. Excellent in cocktails, but depending on your taste, perhaps a little spicy for sipping.

For recommendations from those who obsess over drinks as much as folks here obsess over DG:

All about rye whiskey

All About Bourbon Whiskey

Scotch Whisky: The Topic
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby mark12b » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:59 pm

man, our liquor laws in WA won't let costco sell hard liquor at all. :cry:

this book is another great resource for a liquor nerd (i have the 1st edition, haven't seen this one):
http://www.kindredspirits2.com

here are some reviews of single-malts beginning with "A":
http://www.kindredspirits2.com/excerpt- ... its-2.html
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BradC » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:30 am

Great thread!

Favorite Scotch whiskys:

Laphroaig and Tallisker. 10 years, as the nice older bottles are just too damn pricey.

My favorite though, is bourbon.

In no particular order; Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Maker's Mark, Basil Hayden, Bookers...

Some good suggestions in this thread, good taste guys!
BradC
Noob

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:17 am

Monocacy wrote:
uNicedmeMan wrote:Has anyone tried Wild Turkey Rye?

Yup. Excellent in cocktails, but depending on your taste, perhaps a little spicy for sipping.

Righto, might wait on that unless I can find some absinthe to make a Sazerac with. It sounds awesome:

Timko wrote:My current cocktail fascination is a Sazerac. It's an old US drink from the 1800's with bitters, bourbon, and sugar, with a hint of absinthe washing the glass to give it a fantastic floral bouquet. Some of my female friends who can't stand the taste of bourbon enjoy this.

I've read that rye's are often used to make Sazeracs as well.

I'm going to make a trip to the mega big we have everything ever liquor store tonight and I think I'm going to pickup the Wild Turkey Rare Breed to try and another cheaper bourbon for regular consumption. The cold weather and falling leaves has me wanting some whiskey :D . I was thinking about trying some scotch but I dunno if I'm ready for all that yet, I'll just stick to my bourbons and ryes.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby J-Bolt » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:22 am

Timko wrote:
J-Bolt wrote:While my daily drinks are usually blends(egad!) and soda, when sipping the good stuff I keep a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle's 15yr Family reserve. Always have a bottle on hand.

I had a special cask of this at an upscale restaraunt here in KC (Jullian, home of the Next Iron Chef Celina Tio), and was very, very impressed with this blend. How much does a bottle of this run?

Here in MD it runs a little over $50 +tax for the 15 yr.

I just ordered a case(kind of hard to get, dont think they make much) from a buddy in the biz and am getting it for ~$44/bottle :-D

Let me know if you have trouble finding it.
J-Bolt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Vacant

Postby garublador » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:15 pm

Timko wrote:My favorite is a small batched called Templeton Rye.
Rumor has it it will be available again in the next couple of months.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:52 am

They didn't have Wild Turkey Rare Breed or Wild Turkey Rye at the liquor store last night, what gives?

Instead I picked up some Elijah Craig because it's been mentioned a few times in this thread and the price was right. Pretty damn tasty and a nice bottle to boot! I also picked up a bottle of Pikesville Rye, dry and sweet vermouth, some peychaud bitters bitters and a Gotham Shiraz for the girlfriend. She was pumped about the wine so she mixed me up a perfect manhattan with the Pikesville that was just a pleasure to drink on.

What are some other good mixed drinks to try with the rye? I'm going to get some ginger ale on hand soon because I love a nice pikesville and ginger.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby jnecessary » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:09 pm

garublador wrote:
Timko wrote:My favorite is a small batched called Templeton Rye.
Rumor has it it will be available again in the next couple of months.

I picked up two bottles today on my lunch break. One as a gift and one to enjoy myself! I'll be trying out the Sazerac soon. I started a Maker's Manhattan kick though so it will have some competition. Amateur home bartender in the making here.
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Timko » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:13 pm

I will buy a bottle from you if you can get me one.

Oh, I picked up a 4 Roses Single Barrel for cocktails and a little less aggressive whiskey for my friends.
Timko

Postby Timko » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:16 pm

Also, if you want to learn to make a Sazerac, I will tell you a few tips.

1. Don't leave the absinthe in the glass. It tastes way too strong at the end of the drink.
2. Bitters proportions are personal but I put 5 dashes of Peychaud, and 1 dash of Angostura.
3. This is KEY. Don't use sugar. Make a simple syrup. When you're ready to make the drink, take 1/2 to 3/4 tablespoon of the syrup, put it in a dish, and put it in the microwave for 10 seconds. Put your whiskey and bitters in the mixing glass (NO ICE YET), put in the hot syrup. It infuses instantly. Then put in the ice and go ahead.
Timko

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.