Bourban, wiskey or wisky

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Bourban, wiskey or wisky

Postby Timko » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:18 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:What are some other good mixed drinks to try with the rye? I'm going to get some ginger ale on hand soon because I love a nice pikesville and ginger.

Sazerac.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sazerac

Use my tips above to make it perfect. Mine are quite sweet, and the Absinthe smell actually covers up the whiskey flavor on your tongue. You don't feel it until it gets to your throat, which I think is a quality of a good Sazerac.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:53 pm

Timko wrote:
uNicedmeMan wrote:What are some other good mixed drinks to try with the rye? I'm going to get some ginger ale on hand soon because I love a nice pikesville and ginger.

Sazerac.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sazerac

Use my tips above to make it perfect. Mine are quite sweet, and the Absinthe smell actually covers up the whiskey flavor on your tongue. You don't feel it until it gets to your throat, which I think is a quality of a good Sazerac.

Word. I saw you mention it in this thread and I've been wanting to try it. What's holding me back is my inability to locate any absinthe, I have everything else. Are the absinthe substitutes just as good or should I hold out for the real thing?
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Timko » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:58 pm

Pastis works. It's typically labeled "Pernod" (which is a distillery in France). That would be the best substitute.
Timko

Postby jnecessary » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:05 pm

Timko wrote:I will buy a bottle from you if you can get me one.

Oh, I picked up a 4 Roses Single Barrel for cocktails and a little less aggressive whiskey for my friends.

I got it from the only place I knew of that had any stock and that is because they called me when it came in. They tried to sell it to me for $75 a bottle and I said they were crazy and started to walk when the dude asked me to come back and sold it to me for an acceptable price. I wouldn't be surprised if it has sold out at that price though. Dirty John's had 60 bottles Tuesday morning, opened at 7:30 and sold out before 9am!

On the Sazerac, have you tried it with Pernod instead of absinthe? Not sure where I would get absinthe unless it is readily available now. I have both types of bitters though so that is all I need. I made my own simple syrup from some organic cane sugar so it is dark but still tasty.
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby jnecessary » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:05 pm

Oh, I picked up a 4 Roses Single Barrel for cocktails and a little less aggressive whiskey for my friends.

I got it from the only place I knew of that had any stock and that is because they called me when it came in. They tried to sell it to me for $75 a bottle and I said they were crazy and started to walk when the dude asked me to come back and sold it to me for an acceptable price. I wouldn't be surprised if it has sold out at that price though. Dirty John's had 60 bottles Tuesday morning, opened at 7:30 and sold out before 9am!

On the Sazerac, have you tried it with Pernod instead of absinthe? Not sure where I would get absinthe unless it is readily available now. I have both types of bitters though so that is all I need. I made my own simple syrup from some organic cane sugar so it is dark but still tasty.
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Timko » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 am

jnecessary wrote:

I actually got my last bottle from John's as well. If you can get it, please let me know.

I can readily buy absinthe, so I normally use it. But you can use pastis.

Note on Pernod: It's a distillery, not a type of alcohol. In fact, Parnod Fils is one of the oldest reputable absinthe makers in the world. Their stuff now isn't good, put a bottle of Jade PF 1901 is a pretty fantastic recreation of their original blends.

The darker color from organic sugar would really make the drink pop I think.
Timko

Postby Timko » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:57 pm

Timko

Postby jnecessary » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:55 pm

sounds tasty! What the funk I was gonna pick up some absinthe but they only have large bottles and it cost too much
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
--My PDGA--My Trade List
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:53 pm

If you are lookin for states legal absinthe La Tornament is my favorite. about 55$ a 750ml
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby jnecessary » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:45 am

really looking for a small bottle, but doesn't seem to be readily available :(
--My PDGA--My Trade List
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Timko » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:43 am

I've never seen Absinthe sold in pints, only 5th's.
Timko

Postby Dump truck » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:12 am

Just be careful about drinking very much absinthe straight. I wound up in the titty bar on christmas eve/christmas...
omega/rhyno/comet/torque/hornet/valk/pd/nuke/destroyer
Dump truck
Tree Magnet

Postby Timko » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:12 pm

I used to drink 1/2 glasses an evening (before going out to the bars) every night when I lived in Australia. I was a bit of a drunk over there though :).
Timko

Postby garublador » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:24 am

Timko wrote:Right now, I've got a bottle of Maker's in my cupboard. I prefer bourbon when I'm drinking liquor; rocks or neat.
I've just started getting into bourbon myself. I've been drinking my other whiskeys with just a tiny bit of water but I've found that I need a bit more water for Maker's to get it to really come alive. Is that normal for bourbon or more specific to Maker's, which I noticed is a bit higher proof than most other whiskeys I've had? I know I could (and will) just experiment myself, but I'm interested to hear what more experienced bourbon drinkers think.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:08 am

Just snagged a bottle of Makers in my office gift exchange! My whiskey holdings are beefing up, I'm currently rolling with:

Elijah Craig 12 y/o
Makers Mark
Jim Beam Rye
Pikesville Rye
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.