Religion: Is it cool?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Religion: Is it cool?

Postby jsun3thousand » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:58 am

it's a funny chart just for the spelling errors.
Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc

Favorite Disc: #63

Postby cfair » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:07 am

That chart always cracks me up. I also enjoy busting the chops of anyone stupid enough to try to argue that the dark age was a result of the rise of Christianity/the idea each civilization is better than the last.
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby vonDrehle » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:00 am

I always see this one as well
vonDrehle
Steward Turkeylink: Has not seen The Godfather and is probably a horrible person

Favorite Disc: River

Postby bcr123psu » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:07 am

That about sums it up for me.
bcr123psu
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: The one in my brakes

Postby jsun3thousand » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:48 pm

cfair wrote:That chart always cracks me up. I also enjoy busting the chops of anyone stupid enough to try to argue that the dark age was a result of the rise of Christianity/the idea each civilization is better than the last.

i like the cut of your jib. i don't know much about the dark ages, but do i agree with you that the idea civilization/society develops on a chronologically, positive linear path is silly. the same can be said for technology and science. things change for the better and for the worse. change isn't analogous to building a pyramid one layer of limestone slabs on top of another. advances in science and technology are often the result of accidents and not the grand unfurling of an idea. the ultimate question with positive linear development models is when do they end or can they end?
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc

Postby vonDrehle » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:53 pm

Watching The God Who Wasn't There on Netflix and it is a pretty interesting documentary.
vonDrehle
Steward Turkeylink: Has not seen The Godfather and is probably a horrible person

Postby Apathy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:05 pm

vonDrehle wrote:Watching The God Who Wasn't There on Netflix and it is a pretty interesting documentary.

Yeah, it's a real stimulating film. Right on par with a documentary I saw titled: "Behind the Scenes: The Making of Chipwrecked"
Apathy
Tree Magnet

Postby vonDrehle » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:44 am

The fact that you would watch "Behind the Scenes: The Making of Chipwrecked" discredits anything you might say. Similar to throwing Discraft or only playing the short layout of a course.
vonDrehle

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:47 pm

Apathy wrote:
vonDrehle wrote:Watching The God Who Wasn't There on Netflix and it is a pretty interesting documentary.

Yeah, it's a real stimulating film. Right on par with a documentary I saw titled: "Behind the Scenes: The Making of Chipwrecked"
He made one decent point in that the whack-job fundamentalist that most Christians would disavow as crazy are in a lot of cases more closely in keeping with what is actually in the Bible than mainstream Christianity. That's a pretty gross generalization, and you can argue in circles because the damn book contradicts itself in a lot of places, but I still though it was a decent point.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby sunspot » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:06 pm

vonDrehle wrote:I always see this one as well

as opposed to believing in this :

sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby jsun3thousand » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:04 pm

sunspot wrote:
vonDrehle wrote:I always see this one as well

as opposed to believing in this :

you do know that "man is but a worm" was a piece of satire created after the release of darwin's book the formation of vegetable mould through the action of worms, with observations on their habits? you do know what satire is?
jsun3thousand

Postby sunspot » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:44 pm

jsun3thousand wrote:you do know that "man is but a worm" was a piece of satire created after the release of darwin's book the formation of vegetable mould through the action of worms, with observations on their habits? you do know what satire is?

I try not to read.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sunspot » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:50 pm

sunspot wrote:
jsun3thousand wrote:you do know that "man is but a worm" was a piece of satire created after the release of darwin's book the formation of vegetable mould through the action of worms, with observations on their habits? you do know what satire is?

I try not to read.

I suppose someone will think I'm being serious in my last post so let me say this: The point that I am stressing is not one that says that everything came from worms, but the premise behind it. That is, of course, you think evolution is a satire of creation.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jsun3thousand » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:05 am

sunspot wrote:
sunspot wrote:

I try not to read.

I suppose someone will think I'm being serious in my last post so let me say this: The point that I am stressing is not one that says that everything came from worms, but the premise behind it. That is, of course, you think evolution is a satire of creation.

so you're for evolution?
jsun3thousand

Postby sunspot » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:59 am

jsun3thousand wrote:
sunspot wrote:
sunspot wrote:

I try not to read.

so you're for evolution?

You wish, handsome.

Let me clarify. Vondrehle is trying to point out what appears to be silly in Christianity. I'm pointing out the alternative, which is also silly. The difference is that one is a caricature of stated theological beliefs while the other is an accurate portrayal of what people believe. In an ironic way, the satirical picture of Darwin's fascination with worms in an evolutionary way is close to what it actually seems to be, silly.

Working Stiff wrote:He made one decent point in that the whack-job fundamentalist that most Christians would disavow as crazy are in a lot of cases more closely in keeping with what is actually in the Bible than mainstream Christianity. That's a pretty gross generalization, and you can argue in circles because the damn book contradicts itself in a lot of places, but I still though it was a decent point.

Really, how so?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.