Grateful Dead

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Grateful Dead

Postby domromer » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:37 pm

I just started listening to the dead. I always avoided it, I had tons of hippy friends who loved them so I had to hate them. Well after hearing a few songs I'm really hooked.

I've been downloading alot of thier stuff off limewire. What songs do you guys like? What should I download?

So far St. Stephen is my favorite, so far.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:52 pm

Thats funny, I got a TON of $hit from my buddies because I didn't care for the Dead or Led Zeppelin. Now I kinda like the Dead, Sugar Magnolia is one of my favorites. As for Led Z.-GREAT music, HORRIBLE singer!
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

Postby jorr16 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:04 am

Mr.SmOOOth wrote: As for Led Z.-GREAT music, HORRIBLE singer!

BLASPHEMY!!!!! :shock:
J
When walking up to tee
Strive to be bogey free

Discs for Trade/Sale
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... php?t=3395
jorr16
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:35 am

Mr.SmOOOth wrote:HORRIBLE singer!
. . . :evil: as long as you admit rock would not be quite the same withouth them . . .

Even I can play stairway to heaven on guitar
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby jmammo » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:11 am

God, I love love the dead so much. I would just download the whole American Beauty CD and Shakedown Street. I think my favorite song would be Box of Rain.
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby deaddisc » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:20 am

I too love the dead, see my login name. I would say that some of my favs are; King Bee, Going down the road feelin bad--> not fade away, Shakedown St,& I know you rider.
That should get you started, but really any live dead from the 60's and 70's is sure to be a great disc. By the way --> means jam into.

Also, for the post saying that led zepplin has a horrible singer; you seriously must be deaf because robert plant is one of the all time best singers of any genre. If you dont like led zepplin then I completly disagree with your musical taste. To each their own I suppose
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby sleepy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:57 am

Some of my favorite Dead songs, in no particular order:

Ripple
Uncle John's Band
Black Muddy River
West LA Fadeaway
Brokedown Palace
Friend Of The Devil
When Push Comes To Shove
New Speedway Boogie

I like the Dead when I feel like singing along to the music and just relaxing...great for driving with the windows down in the summertime! :cool:

domromer wrote:I've been downloading alot of thier stuff off limewire. What songs do you guys like? What should I download?

If you know how to use BitTorrent, check this out...should last you a while! :wink:

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:20 pm

While they put out a bunch of great albums, I'm sure any real deadhead will tell you that you had to see them live to get the real experience. I'm not a deadhead, but I do like them, unfortunately started to like them right before Jerry dies. :( But anyway, one of the awesome things about them is that they allowed bootlegging at their shows (as do many hippiefied jam bands). For anyone interested, check this place outhttp://www.furthurnet.org/index.php They've got TONS of Dead stuff, as well as Phish, String Cheese, O.A.R., etc., and other bands that aren't part of the jam band genre (there's some Radiohead stuff, for instance). A lot of them are in CD quality format, look for the soundboard recordings for the best stuff. And best of all, it's all LEGAL! :D
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:51 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:
. . . :evil: as long as you admit rock would not be quite the same withouth them . . .

The WHO gets my vote for band that helped shape rock music. Although a guy I throw with told me that back in the day Plant had an amazing singing voice. Some BBC sessions album or something.
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jorr16 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:37 pm

Although a guy I throw with told me that back in the day Plant had an amazing singing voice. Some BBC sessions album or something.

yeah the BBC sessions disc is very good...if you haven't really listened to led zeppelin, the singles they have don't showcase all of plant's talent, you really need to listen to all of their stuff to see how good he was...you can't go wrong with any of the live stuff...
Sorry for the thread jack... :wink:
J
When walking up to tee
Strive to be bogey free

Discs for Trade/Sale
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... php?t=3395
jorr16
Tree Magnet

Postby sleepy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:49 pm

Tim_the_Enchanter wrote:While they put out a bunch of great albums, I'm sure any real deadhead will tell you that you had to see them live to get the real experience.

I was 15 in 1995 and wanted to go with a group of friends and their older brothers to see the Dead when they were in town. My mom said I had to wait a couple more years until I was a bit older.

What happens the very same year?? Jerry dies. :cry: :x

I recommended the live albums in that torrent first because I think it takes a bit of listening for the Dead to first grow on you before you can appreciate their live stuff. I kind of think that's true for any artist, really...

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:49 pm

haha, I'd always assumed you were older...I guess the avatar threw me off. Yeah, I agree listening to the studio stuff is good to do first if you're not familiar with them, but live stuff is always good once you do know the songs. Especially since they won't be making any more albums anyway. :( All of the Dick's Picks CD's I've heard have been good too (check out your public libraries people, they're a great source for free music, particularly with the well known bands :D)
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby bigs348 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:08 pm

Uncle John's Band. That's about the only Dead song I like.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:18 pm

Mr.SmOOOth wrote:
Thatdirtykid wrote:

The WHO gets my vote for band that helped shape rock music. Although a guy I throw with told me that back in the day Plant had an amazing singing voice. Some BBC sessions album or something.

If we are saying who individually shaped rock most i would say bob dylan, however Zep left a BIG dent.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:22 pm

I'll see your Bob Dylan and raise you a Jerry Lee Lewis! Sorry, I'll stop now. 8)
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.