Home Brewing

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Home Brewing

Postby Terrence » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:14 pm

I'm just getting into it this winter, and even though I haven't tasted any of my brew yet, it's been a lot of fun so far. I've got a batch of amber ale in the secondary fermenter that's a week away from bottling. I just brewed a mild nut brown ale tonight.

So far I've been working with malt extracts and specialty grains. They're very easy to work with and aside from fermenters and the like, no other special equipment is needed. Anyone else make their own beer?

Here we are siphoning the Amber ale from the fermenter bucket to the glass carboy. My brother is enjoying a Sam Adams boston lager.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby redspexxx » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:37 am

no, but i do want to try. my friend has a home brew kit. where do you get things like hops and malts?
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Terrence » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:23 pm

For our first batch, we drove to the nearest home brew supply. They had the ingredients for every brew under the sun there. Since the store is 100 miles away I just ordered a recipe kit from www.northernbrewer.com for the second batch. The recipe kits include detailed instructions and come with really awesome liquid yeast packs that activate themselves.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Postby NoLifeLeft » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:45 pm

I've been brewing for over a year now. I was actually in the middle of setting myself up with a kegging system until my wife's car decided to blow-up. :roll:
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby garublador » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:47 am

I see you have the "Ale Pail". My father in law has taken up wine making recently with pretty good results. Apparently the secret is to keep everything very clean and sterilzed and to follow the directions. I guess making beer is a lot like making wine but it has an extra step and it takes less time. It's something I'd like to get into sometime, but I have too much going on at the moment to start.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Terrence » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:50 am

Yep, since I've dove into this hobby, I can't count how many times I've read or heard that sanitation is the first ingredient in good beer. I think I've been quite sanitary so far, and with no foul smells yet I'm fairly certain the beer isn't infected.

Since homebrew is unpasturized, the yeast remains active after bottling. Most brews' flavors will smooth out and clarify over a period of months and sometimes a year after bottling. I'm going to do my best to wait about 8 weeks to start enjoying my first batch, but I'm trying one two weeks after bottling.
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:34 pm

You have me interested. Gone are the days of making it in the bath tub it seems.

Is Northern Brewer the best place to shop?

I'm looking at the starter kit, and everythign else I will need. Maybe you can better give me a ball park price.

I don't remember ever bottling beer. I remember having pitchers and buckets of beer though. It's a wonder we never got sick.

Also, let me know what kind you made and how it tasted.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby redspexxx » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:01 pm

i think im really gonna do this. i just cant decide what beer to make. i was thinking rye pale ale...
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby NoLifeLeft » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:48 pm

NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:42 pm

redspexxx wrote:i think im really gonna do this. i just cant decide what beer to make. i was thinking rye pale ale...

Me Too ! I'm so excited!

Is the Ale Pail superior to the kit sold from more beers? I would think the frees shipping would make a difference.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Terrence » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:05 pm

TexasOutlaw:

You might save some money by finding a good home brew supply near your area. My brother and I bought the equipment you see in the photo and all of the ingredients to make that batch for $70. Check for a store nearby first.

I ordered a recipe kit from northern brewer and it's top-notch. All of the ingredients are fresh and the yeast is in the convenient liquid form. The recipe included instructions. Shipping costs from MN to TX might be more for you though.

As for bottles and bottling, the easiest way to acquire enough bottles (roughly 45 needed to fill a 5 gallon batch) is to drink a lot of good craft brews while the batch is brewing. All you have to do is wash the empties out and sanitize them.

We brewed an American Amber Ale for the first batch. It was bottled yesterday, so I'll get to taste the finished product in a couple more weeks. The flavor of the "green", uncarbonated fermented beer kinda resembled Bass Ale or similar full flavored Ales. Most home brewers brew Ales because Lager yeast requires steady temperatures of 50-55 degrees so a huge refrigerator is requires to hold that temp. Ale yeast can ferment just fine at 70-75 degrees.

I'm sure most fermenter buckets are the same. It is convenient to have a bucket with a spigot attached for bottling though.

Want to see a thurough demonstration of the entire extract brewing process? Check out the extract brewing DVD from www.basicbrewing.com . It helped me understand the entire process to see it all happen. In a nutshell, If you buy a recipe kit and follow the instructions and keep everything sanitized, you WILL get good beer.
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:59 pm

I don't know of any places to purchase supplies locally. And yes, shipping would eat my lunch; the calculated shipping was 54 bucks.

Thats why I was considering the More Beer place because they offer free shipping.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Terrence » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:30 pm

That deluxe kit on morebeer looks perfect. The glass secondary fermenter is nice to use since the beer sits in there for at least two weeks to clarify. Glass is easier to sanitize and it can't form scratches for bacteria to hide in. That's a lot of nice stuff for $99 shipped, if you really want to dive into the hobby that set up will provide everything you need. Recipe kits are usually $25-$30.
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:17 pm

Aww crud. Home brewing is something I've kind of always wanted to do, and all this talk is kind of wetting my whistle (so to speak). Just did a quick google search and found out I have a home brew supply shop in walking distance from my place. :evil: Ahhh, well, I guess it's always good to have more than one addictive hobby. :roll:

just searched on good ol' craigslist, is this a good deal?
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/for/278599904.html
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:03 pm

I ordered it today, along with an ale kit and yeast. I have to admit: the yeast kit from Northern Brewer looks easier to use.

The price was great; 122 bucks for the deluxe kit, a starter ingredients, and yeast. Now I have to start collecting bottles.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.