Arrested for D.U.I.

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby jmammo » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:26 pm

matchu wrote:Here in America money talks...

..... and bullshit walks.

I have to agree don't drink and drive but hell, I think that we have all thought we could be in control while completely shit faced.
Thank God I always have a designated driver. My dad.
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby the_lung » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:28 pm

Texas Made wrote:I have a friend that is a cop, My roomate got a DWI two weeks ago.
He told me that when they ask you to blow. dont. when they ask for a blood test decline. They immediately arrest you, suspend your liscence for a month.

But, when you go to court they have no evidence that you were under the influence unless the feild sobriety video shows you staggering around. Texas has the toughest DWI laws in the country, to top it of the legal limit is .08. that is less than 3/4 of 1 12oz beer.

So yeah, dont do what they ask you too, you are getting arrested regardless.
Not doing what they ask you too actually helps you at that point.

This makes it easier to get the case thrown out or lowered....
Wish IO would have psoted this earlier.

That is applicable in some states and situations, and terrible advice in others. In Pennsylvania, the Implied Consent law requires you to take the test. If you refuse you will automatically lose your license for up to 12 months due to this refusal. Given that, you still end up with a DUI conviction and the 12 months for refusing to take the Breathalyzer will be in addition to what will result from your conviction. Most lawyers advise their clients to take this test and rightly so.

If it's your first offense for DUI and there was no accident with serious bodily injury , you will be eligible for Fast Track Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD) which will only suspend your license for 4 months, give you reduced supervision fees and court costs, and be wiped from your record if you don't get another DUI within 10 years. So you can take the tests and fail and lose your license for 4 months and participate in ARD, or you can take the felony DUI conviction (on your permanent record forever) with an automatic 12 month license suspension along with a mandatory 48 hours in jail.
the_lung
Noob

Postby bigs348 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:06 pm

I thought that you could refuse to take a breathalyzer until your lawyer was present. Which would give you an extra hour or more to sober up. Not sure how it works, I don't drink and drive, and don't plan to ever test the theory.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:42 pm

bigs348 wrote:I thought that you could refuse to take a breathalyzer until your lawyer was present. Which would give you an extra hour or more to sober up. Not sure how it works, I don't drink and drive, and don't plan to ever test the theory.

In CO you can refuse the breathalizer, but then they can take you straight to the station and do bloodwork no questions asked.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Discoman » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:39 am

I blew .08-.07 in Ca. Best lesson I ever got. If you don't learn it the first time, the lesson only gets louder. You don't nor does anyone want that......to be honest whoever, if your friend only turns 23 once which is a joke because 24, 25 ,26 etc will be the same anyway unless he kills or is killed in a drunken accident, fork out the 30 bones for this party of a lifetime.

Seriously the best advice is take your licks and learn from it, If disc golf hasn't taught you that every time you play then you are not paying attention. :?
Discoman
Tree Magnet

Postby Amateur » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:02 am

Discoman wrote:if your friend only turns 23 once which is a joke

That actually was a personal joke.

I totally learned my lesson. Being stripped naked and haiving to give some random cop the batwing at county is pretty dehumanizing. I never really have that much fun going out to bars anyway. I just go to bars because their is nowhere else for me and some of my friends to hang out at.

I didn't wreck my vehicle at all. Noone was injured. I got pulled over for speeding. The cop actually said for as drunk as I blew I was driving fantastically (he followed me for a few miles). Regardless...
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby matchu » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:07 pm

the mayor's daughter was arrested for dwi last year in Houston, have not followed the ordeal, but I will go back to my other statement, about money and it talking and the rich walking.
tis sad that the laws are not enforced equally, good thing these other contries are none the wiser of our corrupt democracy. wink wink
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby dgdave » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:39 pm

Amateur wrote:Being stripped naked and haiving to give some random cop the batwing at county is pretty dehumanizing.

to bad you didn't give him the goat, then you could have kicked him in the ass 2 more times
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:42 am

Whether the breath test was accurate, were you drunk? I find it fortunate that you did not kill a family of 4.

Perhaps the inconvenience of this crime will keep you from getting behind the wheel and endangering others.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:35 pm

You know I don't want to come accross as a d*ck or anything but you should really man up, take the punishment you richly deserve and don't think of yourself as a victim.

There are plenty of real victims out there. Kids who have to grow up without a father because someone else thought enjoying themselves at a party was more important than safety. Widows who now have to support a family by themselves because their husbands were taken from them by someone who reasoned that "I can handle it I have good tolerance for alcohol."

I'm no angel I admit. I drive quite a bit and am guilty of breaking the speed limit a good bit of the time. However I only speed on highways, when traffic is light ( ie @ 4am) and the weather conditions are optimal. I may be breaking the law by doing 75 in a 65 but I feel that I'm still reasonably safe and a danger to no one.

A blood alcohol level of over .30 isn't even close. You must've realized you were impaired just by the sheer volume of alcohol you consumed even if you didn't feel it.

This thread reminds me of another I read on a different board where a teenager vandalized a neighbor's home because he didn't like him. When he got busted by the cops he started a thread looking for sympathy and acted like the cops were picking on him.

If you commit a crime and get caught don't post a thread looking for ways to duck your punishment. Don't be stupid. Think before you act, especially when your actions can seriously harm others. I'm hoping that your episode with the law helps you to make better decisions in the future. Drinking is fine if that's what you choose to do with your money and your liver, but make arrangements in advance for a designated driver or just call a cab and get your car the next day.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Drew » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:23 pm

both of my roommates got dui's within a week of each other. one of them also caught a posession charge. now i am the only one that can legally drive because their hardship licenses expired. down here in fla the law is .08 and the cops are very strict about enforcing it especially down here in sofla. last time i went out to downtown ft. lauderdale something i used to do all the time my brother was arrested for spitting on a cab, which he didnt do, and the cops drug him away as he was hugging a girl he hadnt seen in a while. when i tried to question what he was being arrested for they threw me in cuffs. luckily some girls we were with negotiated our release, and they ended up not pressing charges on me just goes to show you that when out drinking and drinking heavily trouble is really inevitable.
Drew
Tree Magnet

Postby matchu » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:05 pm

unfortunately the times are long gone when one could go out and have fun maybe meet a girl over a drink. ALL I WANT TO KNOW IS WHERE ARE THOSE DAMN HIPPIES NOW! WE SURE COULD USE THEM. oh yeah, they are the ones in charge... funny stuff
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Amateur » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:46 pm

roadkill wrote:You know I don't want to come accross as a d*ck or anything but you should really man up, take the punishment you richly deserve and don't think of yourself as a victim.

I never thought of myself as a victim. I am taking the punishment like a man. I stayed in jail overnight and posted my own bond with my own cash. I've paid my tickets and have hired an attourney on my own. Gee, what else do I have to do to man up?

I don't want your sympathy either. I hope I did not insinuate otherwise.

I didn't mean this thread to be a podium for all the saints :roll: who have never driven when they've had too much to drink. All I wanted was some real world experience from my DGR brothers who have been through this personally.

Real quick, let's stop thinking about the thousands of innoccent people I didn't kill.
Glock23 wrote:According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2005, 16,885 people were killed in alcohol-related crashes - an average of one almost every half-hour. These deaths constituted approximately 39 percent of the 43,443 total traffic fatalities.

I don't think I'll ever drink again. So drinking and driving is therefore impossible. Do you think this number is going to go up or down?

Domromer wrote:My sister was killed by a drunk driver
You have my deepest condolences. My 15 year old niece was recently killed as a passenger in a car with an underage drunk driver. The boy driving lived. My family has since forgiven him, but it took a while.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby roadkill » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:01 pm

Amateur wrote: I never thought of myself as a victim. I am taking the punishment like a man. I stayed in jail overnight and posted my own bond with my own cash. I've paid my tickets and have hired an attourney on my own. Gee, what else do I have to do to man up?

I don't want your sympathy either. I hope I did not insinuate otherwise.

I didn't mean this thread to be a podium for all the saints :roll: who have never driven when they've had too much to drink. All I wanted was some real world experience from my DGR brothers who have been through this personally.

Real quick, let's stop thinking about the thousands of innoccent people I didn't kill.

I don't believe those of us who are extolling the risks and serious consequences of drinking and driving are trying to be holier than thou "saints".

Reading your initial post appears to show a lack of remorse. In your initial post you refer to your experience as "bullshit". You detail all that you had to endure from the amount of your fine and descriptions of your cellmates and saying you didn't belong. You then go on to question the accuracy of the breathalizer. You then refer to how much alcohol you consumed at a previous gathering and blew into a breathalizer for entertainment value.

We all make errors in judgement and mistakes from time to time. The key to maturing and becoming responsible is to learn from our mistakes and make better decisions the next time a similiar situation arises. But there are some people who fail to recognize the seriousness of certain issues and fail to learn from their experiences. It's my opinion that a person who recognizes driving while impaired for what it is does not start a thread telling everyone in cyberspace about the incident and asking for advise from anyone who might've been through this "bullshit". Instead a remorseful person wouldn't tell anyone about it because they'd be ashamed of what they did. A remorseful person would see it as a wake up call to do things differently in the future. If you enjoy drinking, there's nothing wrong with it if done responsibly. I just lose respect for people who do something blatantly irresponsible and then broadcast it to the world in hopes of getting advise that helps them to skirt the consequences.

I'm sure you're a decent guy and I'm not trying to break your balls, I'm just calling it the way I see it based upon what I inferred from your opening post and the fact that you even started a thread based upon this incident.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:59 am

Amateur wrote:
[.

The concern on my part was that it doesnt happen again. Rather, is there a possibility it will happen again?

I'm sorry about your license; I'm sure it's tough. Certainly, we shall stop thinking about everyone you haven't killed.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.