Beer

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Beer

Postby Jaysus » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:34 am

Eric O wrote:Since the last time I checked in I've had so many crazy good beers that I have forgotten most of them.

you should check out something like http://untappd.com/

it is pretty neat.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby RustyP » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:40 pm

Eric O wrote:Hey DGR beer lovers. Long time since I've checked out the forums here. Since the last time I checked in I've had so many crazy good beers that I have forgotten most of them. Hundreds of them were local NW offerings but not all of them. The Westy 12 stands out as far as Belgians go. Best quad ever. I also finally got to try some CBS recently. Best Stout ever? It's possible. Best sour with brett imo is still Supplication with stiff competition from a handful of Cantillon varieties. Best without is still Bourbonic Plague from Cascade. :) My favorite in the IPA category is still probably Hopslam. I tried that Surly Wet the other day and was very impressed though. It won out over a fresh Pliny and Heady Topper in a head to head.

None of the wonderful beers you mentioned are sold here in Texas :(

anyone on here ever do any beer trading?
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby pointdisc » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:25 pm

RustyP wrote:anyone on here ever do any beer trading?

No, but you have piqued my curiosity.

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby bucknuts » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:27 pm

Mmmmm, beer trading. Not a bad idea but shipping costs and breaks....not sure. I am not an expert here.

Anybody have tried Spaten Optimator (doppelbock)? I tried it last night. I liked it.

I am looking forward to my two week winter break off from work and plan to try a couple different winter seasonals.
--go out and play disc

Challengers, Buzzes, Eagles, Firebird, and OLFs
bucknuts
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Buzz

Postby Eric O » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:09 pm

RustyP wrote:None of the wonderful beers you mentioned are sold here in Texas :(

anyone on here ever do any beer trading?

I have done a little beer trading through DGR with Robin Hood and one or two others I think. It is kind of expensive and you have to pack carefully, but it's fun to get a package of beer you can't find on your local shelves. I don't do it often due to the inconvenience and the great selection available locally. A friend of mine does beer trades all the time through beer advocate, but he is usually dealing with beers with an aftermarket value between 25 and 200 dollars, which makes shipping fees much less of a factor.

One tip for packing is to use wine shipping boxes with fitted styrofoam packing. I bum them from the local bottle shop.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dump truck » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:38 am

Here you go guys

http://onlinebeerstores.homestead.com/

Rusty, start at the bottom of the list. We're kind of fucked in Texas.

I've place one good order so far through beership. I think the key to getting the shipping costs down is to order in certain increments. 2,3,4,6,12 bottles at a time. At 12 bottles the shipping can get under $4 a bottle.

Yeah it's still hard to find a lot of stuff here but at least this opens up your options a bit.
omega/rhyno/comet/torque/hornet/valk/pd/nuke/destroyer
Dump truck
Tree Magnet

Postby RustyP » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:04 pm

Thanks Dump...looks like only 3-4 of those ship to TX :( I don't know a lot about our state alcohol laws, except that it keeps a lot of great beer out of the state with weird label laws and an ABV cap, and also keeps many great breweries from selling their brews directly to consumers (which means fewer "one-offs" and specialty brews).

I've been reading through all the info and tips on Beeradvocate and Alewatcher about trading. I think that after Christmas and my friends' wedding in January (that is, when Ill once again have money to spend) I'll put the feelers out on DGR to see if i can set up a local-for-local trade to try out some new stuff.

Eric O - how much beer were you sending in a typical trade on here, and roughly how much did the shipping cost? If you don't mind me asking :)
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Eric O » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:15 pm

I think I was sending between 3 to 6 bottles, generally the 500 or 750mL size. I think it usually ran more than 10 but less than 20 bucks. This is from memory so don't put too much faith in those numbers. It's worth it for beer I've really wanted but can't get on the shelves.

I will entertain trades for the right beers. I have access in Portland to Upright, Cascade, Hair of the Dog, Block 15 and many more. We also get most Russian River stuff for those east of their distribution region.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Eric O » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:19 pm

Just got a couple bottles of 08 Abyss. Also picked up a few Mother of All Storms when they came in, before they disappeared.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby RustyP » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:12 pm

Eric O wrote:I will entertain trades for the right beers. I have access in Portland to Upright, Cascade, Hair of the Dog, Block 15 and many more. We also get most Russian River stuff for those east of their distribution region.

Definitely keeping that in mind for the future ;)

Also beer related - I'm currently baking a chocolate stout cake for my wife's 30th birthday party. Super dense dark chocolate / sour cream cake made with Old Rasputin and topped with chocolate ganache. Ive made it several times before with normal stouts but never an Imperial.
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby bcr123psu » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Chocolate stout cake sounds num-yummy.

Speaking of yummy...just polished this off:

bcr123psu
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: The one in my brakes

Postby Roy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:38 pm

Bourbon Barrel Stout. It's that time of the year.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Dump truck » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:52 pm

Yesterday was a good beer drinking day.

Avery Dugana(unfortunately it wasn't too fresh and got poured out....wah,wah,wahhhh)
Deschutes Inversion IPA
Deschutes Jubelale
Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Deschutes XXIII Bourbon Barrel Imperial Porter
Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA
Avery Rumpkin
Stairway IPA (homebrew with simcoe and citra hops)
omega/rhyno/comet/torque/hornet/valk/pd/nuke/destroyer
Dump truck
Tree Magnet

Postby bcr123psu » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:53 pm

Had me one of these here Yellow Snow IPAs from Rogue:

I got excited and poured it like an asshole.
bcr123psu
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: The one in my brakes

Postby Marauder » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:48 pm

I bought some Holiday booze at World Market. Bison Ginger Bread.. Looking forward to having these over a Holiday Ham next weekend.
Marauder
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Amp

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.