Beer

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby sleepy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:18 pm

krusen wrote:Nut Brown Ale....I just had some last night. I thought it was very good...maybe better than Newcastle

Ah yes, that's it. Thanks!

Man, only 45 more minutes till the weekend...beer sounds gooooooood. <droool> :D

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby krusen » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:41 pm

Ahhhh...Friday. A good time to think about beer.
Last week I bough some Guiness, Woodchuck Cider, and Bass Ale to make some Snakebites, and Black & Tans.
I guess I'm a little early for St. Paddy's day, but I don't care.
After about 6 mixes, I can finally pour the Guiness on top w/o it getting mixed together...yaay for me.
I recommend trying this out if you're a beer conniseur....good stuff.
Pour the cider (snakebite) or the ale(black & tan) in first. Then pour the Guinness ever so slowly over the back of the spoon. It helps if you put your thumb high on the handle so it doesn't flow down the handle. If you do it right, a sip will start of with the choclatey taste of Guiness and finish with a crisp refreshing taste of ale or cider. A snake bite almost tastes like a wiskey coke.
ENJOY!
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby sleepy » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:08 am

Had my very first black & tan at the bar last night. Pretty tasty. Is there a set combination of the beers that make up the black and tan? I'm assuming Guiness for the black, but what (traditionally) is the tan? I almost ordered a black & blue, which uses Labatt Blue in place of the 'tan'.

I won't call it my new favorite just yet or anything, but definitely something to add to the list of possibilities when they ask "What'll it be?" :D

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby krusen » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:24 am

sleepy wrote:Is there a set combination of the beers that make up the black and tan? I'm assuming Guiness for the black, but what (traditionally) is the tan?
sleepy

I think Bass is the traditional "tan" part of the equation, but you could probably substitute any ale of your preference. I had to ask at the liquor store, and they told me to use Bass. The reason I bought all those ingredients was that I read an article about ways to mix Guinness. I think the author said he prefers Harp to Bass. I believe Harp is a lager, so you could probably mix Budweiser with Guiness if you wanted, but to me that's sacriledge (sp?).

When I was going to school in Fargo, a local pub mixed Guinness and Woodchcuck and called it "Poor Man's Black Velvet". According to the article I read it's called a Snakebite, but it kinda does taste like a whiskey coke.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Postby Smyith » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:04 am

actually harp is the original part of black & tans. bass & guiness is called something different but i cant remember exactly what its called. and there is a huge difference in the taste b/w the 2 styles. i prefer harp over bass.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:51 pm

Black and tans are traditionally bass and guinness, but you have to be careful or you make beiges. Please post any methods you know of keeping them separated.

Harp and guiness, crap it just slipped my mind what it's called.

A half and half is celis and guiness.

Many bars substitute the ale used. Be careful or you get some nasty stuff. For example one of the local bars had a Heiny tan (guiness and heinken), talk about nasty.

To me guiness and budweiser doesnt work either. I've tried Beck's and guiness; although it's okay, it is not a black and tan. I had one with mickey's and guiness that wasn't bad. But I still love bass...(did I remember to type the
'b'?).

Tell me about the woodchuck ale? I can't get it here, so please give me suggestions I can substitute for it. Cider? as in apple cider?

I did try an apricot beer last weekend.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:54 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:Black and tans are traditionally bass and guinness, but you have to be careful or you make beiges. Please post any methods you know of keeping them separated.

Harp and guiness, crap it just slipped my mind what it's called.

A half and half is celis and guiness.

Many bars substitute the ale used. Be careful or you get some nasty stuff. For example one of the local bars had a Heiny tan (guiness and heinken), talk about nasty.

To me guiness and budweiser doesnt work either. I've tried Beck's and guiness; although it's okay, it is not a black and tan. I had one with mickey's and guiness that wasn't bad. But I still love bass...(did I remember to type the
'b'?).

Tell me about the woodchuck ale? I can't get it here, so please give me suggestions I can substitute for it. Cider? as in apple cider?

I did try an apricot beer last weekend.

Woodchuck is a relatively sweet hard cider from Vermont. Other popular ciders are Hornsby's, Woodpecker, Strongbow (they come in pint sized cans, like Guiness), Hard Core and Ace. From what I understand, hard cider is technically some sort of malt beverage (like beer or wine coolers) but it has a stong apple flavor. They aren't bitter like beer and aren't nearly as sweet and heavy as wine coolers. While they do range in sweetness and taste, they're normally somewhat tart and higher in alcohol content than most light beers. I find that most of them, especally Woodchuck, are difficult to drink more than a few of at a time. They get too sweet and tart and don't sit well in the stomach. Woodpecker and Strongbow are my favorites.

As for the Black and Tans, you can also experiment with other stouts as well. Beamish and Young's are both good.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:24 pm

Thanks amigo. I'll hit the specialty stores until I find one of those. Hornsby sounds familiar actually.

Ace too, but I believe I had it in Kansas.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Smyith » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:20 pm

http://www.ivo.se/guinness/bnt.html
all about black & tans and how to pour them
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:14 pm

I stopped by the local liquor store, and they had woodchuck on clearance! 2 bucks a sixpack. I assume the one I should be using is the amber?

There are several varieties: granny smith, red apple or soemthing like that.

Oh sweet nectar!
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:06 am

TexasOutlaw wrote:I stopped by the local liquor store, and they had woodchuck on clearance! 2 bucks a sixpack. I assume the one I should be using is the amber?

There are several varieties: granny smith, red apple or soemthing like that.

Oh sweet nectar!

They are all pretty similar, if I remember right. I think my favorite was the Granny Smith, though.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:22 am

I bought them all. I would imagine it's the amber that is mixed with guiness. They taste like wine to me, especially the granny smith.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jwt4412 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:06 am

I would give my opinions on Beer, but it such a hot and heated subject with such strongly held beliefs... I wouldn't want to offend anybody... :wink:
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby krusen » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:44 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:I bought them all. I would imagine it's the amber that is mixed with guiness. They taste like wine to me, especially the granny smith.

I was confused as well when I was at the liquor store.
I used the amber. Not sure if it really matters that much except for personal preference. Let us know which you prefer.

One more week till St. Paddy's day! Time to buy some Jameson to drop in the Guinness for some Irish Car Bombs
krusen
Tree Magnet

Postby Smyith » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:00 pm

krusen wrote:One more week till St. Paddy's day! Time to buy some Jameson to drop in the Guinness for some Irish Car Bombs

Can't forget the green dye.
Smyith
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.