Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby steezo » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:35 am

st. arnolds - awesome beer-
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby krusen » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:24 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:I can get fat tire here. I like it.

New Belgium is going to start distributing to MN and IA. Hopefully that means more than just Fat Tire since I like some of their other beers better.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:36 am

Is it Friday yet?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby RustyP » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:03 pm

Tried a new Belgian beer the other day...Ommegang. Very nice flavor, but not quite as expensive as Chimay, Maredsous, etc. PLUS, one big 750ml bottle gets me nice and toasty feeling (8.5% alky-holl).

Yum.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Hoey » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:18 pm

sorry if it's already been mentioned, we just got a new beer 'round these parts from WI, I believe it's Leinenkugel. I must've butchered that name, but the beer was super smooth! It's like a blue moon, but "friendlier" in my opinion.
Anyone else like this one?
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby deaddisc » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:56 pm

bogies are free wrote:sorry if it's already been mentioned, we just got a new beer 'round these parts from WI, I believe it's Leinenkugel. I must've butchered that name, but the beer was super smooth! It's like a blue moon, but "friendlier" in my opinion.

Ive seen this at a couple restaurants in MA, maybe ill give it a try based on your reccomendation. I like blue moon, so at least I know I'll like the genre of beer that it falls into. The color on the ads looks a lot like sam summer, or some other flavorful yet light beers.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:34 pm

I was liking blue moon, but they are twist offs, which means I can't reuse the bottle.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Hoey » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:15 pm

deaddisc wrote:
bogies are free wrote:sorry if it's already been mentioned, we just got a new beer 'round these parts from WI, I believe it's Leinenkugel. I must've butchered that name, but the beer was super smooth! It's like a blue moon, but "friendlier" in my opinion.

Ive seen this at a couple restaurants in MA, maybe ill give it a try based on your reccomendation. I like blue moon, so at least I know I'll like the genre of beer that it falls into. The color on the ads looks a lot like sam summer, or some other flavorful yet light beers.

yeah, I think you'll like it. Try an orange slice with it. I'm usually not into s**t like that, but it was recommended... yum.

Lovin this thread
lovin good beer.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue May 08, 2007 2:07 pm

I've grown quite fond of wheat beers and Hefenweizens myself.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue May 08, 2007 10:09 pm

I am also a fan of wheat beers. Most of our local brews have a good wheat beer, sunshine by new belgium being my fav. but theres also Blue Moon, easy street and white rascal.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Robbie » Tue May 08, 2007 11:20 pm

I like Boddingtons on tap
Fat Tire
Blue Moon - Hoegarden
Shiner Bock
and just about anything Abita
Robbie
Noob

Postby JR » Wed May 09, 2007 7:28 am

[quote="Tim_the_Enchanter"] Anybody tried the super strong Sam Adams beers? The only one that I've ever tried was the Triple Bock (18% ABV), which frankly, I thought tasted like oaken ass. They say it's supposed to be sipped like brandy, but I think brandy tastes way better (and I'm not even a fan of brandy). The Utopia is 25.6 ABV (!!!!)...that's creeping up on liqueur territory, though if it's anything like the Triple Bock, just give me Jager any day. :?[/quote]

I had tried to keep this forum as DG place for me but thanks so much for corrupting me :-) With a knowledge base(and forgetting most of 'em) of around 2750ish different beers tasted I had to comment on this.

I've had the triple Bock and Utopias. Note the plural. Oak is not what comes to mind from the 3xgoat. Maybe the one you had was off? On the other hand both of these are extreme products that don't cater well for masses and their lack of experience. Many high end products are designed for connoisseurs only and are rather extreme in one or more aspects of taste. And fry up the unaccustomed taste buds.

www.ratebeer.com is where you should go to if you plan on buying expensive beers. Knowing your taste is important. I don't recommend buying extreme products without getting to know what you dislike and like from friendlier products. Don't be shy to ask recommendations from staff and if possible try to describe what sort of taste you're after. Like mention your favorite and describe which way and how much you'd like to change some aspect for your next beer.

Utopias is for port and sherry fans. And if you like very malty sweet beers. Words don't fully do justice to this. It is easily the best tasting beer I've tried with a fairly large margin.

Somebody else recommended Belgian Chouffe for smooth taste. You've seen nothing until you try the larger bottle sizes :-) If you like LaChouffe or McChouffe in small bottles you're in heaven after taking the first sip of the larger bottles. The larger the beter the taste is. In all Belgians so far. Chimays aren't the same once you taste them from tap or large bottles. Do try to get 3 liter bottle of St Feuillien dubbel if you like malty beers. Or a 6 or 9 liter triple if you like ultra pure Belgians in triple fashion. Even the 0.75 l bottles are fairly bland after trying those large bottles. Gulden Draak and Piraat work in 0.75 l but 1.5 l is heavenly.

If you like Champagne try Deus. Or John Martin Cuvee or Malheur. They are beers but they utilize champagne yeast. Deus beats most champagnes.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Wed May 09, 2007 7:45 am

[quote="Thatdirtykid"]I am also a fan of wheat beers. Most of our local brews have a good wheat beer, sunshine by new belgium being my fav. but theres also Blue Moon, easy street and white rascal.[/quote]

Wheat beers=yummy! Paulaner dunkles hefe weizen, Ayinger same and Weihenstephaners>mmmm, drool, beeeerrrrr. (Homer Simpson). I usually don't care for Wits. Hoegaarden is ok if you're thirsty and the wheather is hot and it is served chilled from frosty glass. Witheer actualy tastes good.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed May 09, 2007 8:37 am

I like trying new stuff, but along with that comes the chance that you don't like something. I got a hold of a barley wine a few weeks ago, and it was absolute ass. It got me drunk, but not worth a flip in the taste department. When you start dealing with high AV beers, they require long aging periods to mellow out.

They are not my favorite.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed May 09, 2007 10:51 am

JR wrote:I've had the triple Bock and Utopias. Note the plural. Oak is not what comes to mind from the 3xgoat. Maybe the one you had was off? On the other hand both of these are extreme products that don't cater well for masses and their lack of experience. Many high end products are designed for connoisseurs only and are rather extreme in one or more aspects of taste. And fry up the unaccustomed taste buds.

Maybe I was off with the type of wood, but the flavor of ass was unmistakable. :D This was years ago, so maybe I'd have a higher appreciation for it now, but somehow I doubt it. I guess it was similar to brandy, and I'm not a big brandy drinker, but I'd rather have brandy or port than the Sam Adams any day. I did try some of the Brother David Triple Abbey (10% ABV) ale a while ago, and that was to die for. I've had a couple barleywines before too, with mixed results...some good, some not so much, but in either case you only need 1 or 2 bottles to be set straight for a while.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.