Global Warming

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Global Warming

Postby Luckyg71 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:27 pm

I think global warming is a big piece of crap. Maybe it has been getting warmer than it has been since 1880 when records were first kept but what about the other million years before that. The last 130 some odd years is only a drop in the bucket in the whole scheme of things. Do you think Scientists during the last ice age were saying that we are causing Global Freezing. I feel that the earth is just Cyclical. It goes through hotter times and colder times. Scientists thought that the world was flat at one point, that didnt work out too well for them, they also thought that we were the center of the solar system, that wasnt quite true either. What will Scientists think of next?
The road goes on forever and the party never ends
Luckyg71
Tree Magnet

Postby MDR_3000 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:28 pm

probably this....

MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby Luckyg71 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:29 pm

lol.
The road goes on forever and the party never ends
Luckyg71
Tree Magnet

Postby domromer » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:35 pm

Watch the movie An inconvenient Truth . it makes a pretty strong argument that global warming is a fact. After watching it, I say it would be pretty hard to say it's all just a coincidence.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Jerry R » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:15 pm

We ABSOLUTELY have to cut pollution, decrease our use and dependence on oil, and protect our environment, and we are not doing enough of any… That being said, An Inconvenient Truth is a bunch of propagandist crap.

I read a lot about this, and when scientists try to bring up natural cycles and natural causes of climate change, they are usually ostracized and shunned. How can we know how much impact humans are having if we don’t understand the natural influences? If we implement Kyoto-like policies based on the shaky science of global warming, we stand to severely damage the world economy. If we damage the world economy, there will not be resources to move beyond our carbon based system. I think this is a much greater risk than a rise in temperature. Also, hungry people don’t give a rip about their environment.

We need to do more to protect our environment, and use less of the earth’s resources, but Global Warming has become dogma. There’s no questioning it without being attacked. Scientists, Environmentalists, and the media stand to lose a lot of credibility over this when there is no catastrophe, and the natural cycle starts cooling.
Jerry R
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Q Sentinel

Postby Jerry R » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:20 pm

Also, we need to conserve petroleum so as to not reduce plastic production. :D
Jerry R
2010 DGR Donator

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:21 pm

Yeah, considering that human existence is just a drop in the bucket as far as the earth goes, and considering the amount of damage we've done to the earth in that time, particularly in the last ~200 years (since the Industrial Revolution), I don't think it's a big leap to believe that we're causing global temperature change. You look at all the harm we've caused the land, water, and air, why is is so tough to imagine that we're affecting the climate? Our population growth is out of control, growing exponentially, constantly demanding more resources which translates to burning more fossil fuels. I think that alone provides some very credible evidence for global warming.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:30 pm

Who profits from the movie?

What is the agenda?

We have done nothing but think of the economy and look where it has gotten us. all the jobs are going to China and we have global warming.

Lets keep doing what were doing, everything is working out fine.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby Jerry R » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:50 pm

domromer wrote:Who profits from the movie?
Don't kid yourself, there are alot of people making money off global warming.

What is the agenda?

We have done nothing but think of the economy and look where it has gotten us. all the jobs are going to China and we have global warming.
Yes this standard of living and lifespan is terrible.

Lets keep doing what were doing, everything is working out fine.I agree, we need to make changes, but recession and depression don't foster the kind of technological advances we need to make those changes.
Jerry R
2010 DGR Donator

Postby domromer » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:03 pm

I can't even argue whether global warming is real. It's like arguing that the sky isn't blue..it's a fact.

I'm done, belive what you want.

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby jmammo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:16 pm

I believe its real and is happening now while I type this. Since I would say they 1920's we have slowly being screwing ourselves over by polluting our air and water. It is finally coming back to haunt us. I think that there is nothing we can do and that we are truly and completely fucked (to put it bluntly). All this save the environment bs is just that bs we have already done the deed and in the near future we are going to pay for it, hell we are suffering the consequences now.

Thats just my .02
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby swel304 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:35 pm

There was some other global warming show on recently that was fairly compelling as well (discovery channel I think). The shows may seem a bit over the top and but its hard to get people to understand something that moves so slow in relation to human life but is moving warp speed in relation to the life of the earth. Sure someone is profiting but trying to convince yourself It doesnt exist Is like saying smokeing a pack a day doesnt harm your health. Its not like these environmentalist groups are saying lets sink the economy, live in trees and wipe our asses with our hands. It could have an adverse effect on the economy but it could also have an adverse effect on life, even if we dont see it in our short lifetime. Not to mention the longer we as a society put off the solution the more it will impact the economy. I think the bigger message is to start working now so it doesnt come to recession depression and starvation. If there were more incentive to move to "green solutions" the new indsutries created could balance the decline of things like big oil. Yes the world works in cycles, and we are helping it move along at about 1000X its natural speed.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:16 pm

Something is certainly going on. I live in south Texas. Here, it is getting colder. 2 years ago we had the first snow ever that didnt melt before it hit the ground. This year we have had the only real winter. Granted its 55 outside. But normally we average 10 days a year less than 65.

There is certainly something different. The summer is so hot it's dangerous now. Who knows.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:18 pm

While I haven't totally made up my mind on this issue I do believe that most enviornmentalists overstate man's effect on things like the ozone layer and global temperature.

There are many naturally occurring events such as volcanic eruptions that have a far greater impact on the atmosphere than the exhaust from 100 million SUVs or 10,000 manufacturing plants. I do believe we should try to control the amount of pollution and emissions but I think many of the special interest groups go off the deep end with their rhetoric and finger pointing.

The earth is constantly changing and whether or not man existed it would still change and I'm sure many of these changes are cyclical. In the same way comets appear every X amount of years and weather events such as El Nino there likely are other changes that cycle every 500 years or so.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Blake_T » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:21 pm

it's much easier to bring about change in areas such as northern europe. it took a documentary on the death of seals because of the pollution effects of paper bleaching, and within 5 years, you coudln't get new bleached paper in a few countries in that region.

change requires people who care enough to adjust habits and politicians who won't lump agendas together (e.g. republicans lumping environment with gay rights, democrats lumping pollution with organic foods, etc.)

without massive change on the parts of government, corporations, and individuals, there is no feasible solution in the near future. if you make it expensive to pollute domestically, then they outsource to someplace where they can party like it's 1899. if that place steps it up, move, rinse, repeat.

with the party system set up as it is, it continues to polarize people who show any bit of interest in how things are and any common ground becomes next to impossible.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.