Global Warming

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:42 pm

I generally get a bit of shit when i mention this, but global warming is being greatly exaggorated by the fact we are still coming out of an ice age. Its the way the world has been working for longer than theres been life, the polar caps freeze and then melt. If you havent checked but the polar caps are still quite frozen, and they have been thawing slowly for hundreds of thousands of years, were just making it happen alittle faster. I know our resources are limited, everything from fossil fuels to the fact were horticulturalists, but due to the worlds population sizes we do not have the technology for a cure all end all answer yet. And yes I am aware that how much of our resources we use are much more than we need, that could be changed, but its effects would not be as drastic as assumed.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:45 am

Over population is a human condition; we are like mice in that regards, even out children are breeding. We are just multiplying unproportionally to our death rate.

That's why I do my part by drinking and smoking.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:08 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:I generally get a bit of shit when i mention this, but global warming is being greatly exaggorated by the fact we are still coming out of an ice age. Its the way the world has been working for longer than theres been life, the polar caps freeze and then melt. If you havent checked but the polar caps are still quite frozen, and they have been thawing slowly for hundreds of thousands of years, were just making it happen alittle faster. I know our resources are limited, everything from fossil fuels to the fact were horticulturalists, but due to the worlds population sizes we do not have the technology for a cure all end all answer yet. And yes I am aware that how much of our resources we use are much more than we need, that could be changed, but its effects would not be as drastic as assumed.

It's a good point that it's a combination of a natural cycle and human intervention, but my understanding is that the natural cycle has been very noticably affected by humans. It's a fair assumption that the warming won't last forever and it is something that would have happened eventually, but the real, long term question I have is what effect will us messing with the cycle have in the future? Are we speeding up the whole cycle, or is messing with the cycle going to cause some massive anomoly? Are we ready for a drastic climate change? I don't really know, but I think those are the questions that people tend to ignore when it comes to global warming. Most of it seems to center around which politician is pushing what side, which I agree in the grand scheme of things probably doesn't matter.
garublador
Disc Whore

Previous

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.