Movies...

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:02 pm

Nice! :D
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

Postby Eric O » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:15 pm

Mr.SmOOOth wrote:Anyone here like 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'? I read the book 20 years ago so I didn't know how the story would work on film. When I saw it I was floored at how well all the actors did and how closely the movie followed the book. That is one of my top five that almost all my friends can't sit through.
Thumbs up to the book, thumbs down to the movie. Hardcore drug binging is better depicted in writing than on film I guess.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:18 pm

I concur.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby bigs348 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:07 pm

So I just saw "300" and I have to say that it was amazing. I was thinking it might be kinda cool, a little edgy, have some good scenes, but it blew my expectations completely out of the water.

Think equal parts Braveheart, Gladiator, Troy (except without as much suck), and Lord of the Rings. It was really, really friggin' cool. Frank Miller is awesome, and they did another great job of adapting his graphic novels to the screen. Gerard Butler is astounding -- the similarites to Russel Crowe as Maximus are obvious, but Butler really makes this character his own and the performance is just ridiculously good.

As I told my dad when we left the theatre, I've seen better movies, but this is the most awesomest movie I've ever seen. Essentially, I wouldn't say it's like Oscar material, but it's one of the coolest and most enjoyable times you'll spend at the movies.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby domromer » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:15 pm

sweet I'm going to see it tomorrow at the Imax!!
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby roadkill » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:13 pm

I saw 300 this past saturday.

Pretty intense stuff. Lots of battle action. Good bit of freak show with the persian's battle hardened genetic freaks. Even some boobies.

It definitely isn't a kid's movie as it's pretty gorey and some of the characters are rather grotesque. It's just amazing how many parents take their children (8-12 yrs old) to see movies like this. I really think it would be disturbing to most under 18.

I did enjoy it even though there were a couple scenes I found difficult to stomach.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby mothrows » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:05 pm

I can't wait for Shooter to come out. I love all of Stephen Hunter's novels and it sounds like they're going to stay pretty true to the story.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby bigs348 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:30 pm

mothrows wrote:I can't wait for Shooter to come out. I love all of Stephen Hunter's novels and it sounds like they're going to stay pretty true to the story.

My best friend is in Shooter. He's one of the FBI/Swat guys, I'm looking forward to seeing it. He was also in Invincible. He lives outside Philly and Marky Mark decided to film a couple movies in Philly recently so his agent got him in.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

movies

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:45 pm

I thought "300" was a funny joke for Hollywood to play on audiences, when you think about what demographic this movie drew the strongest positive reactions from.

"Shooter" should be a decent flick. I like Marky Mark, he earned my respect in Boogie Nights: "Have you heard the tapes? Have you even heard them? We're guaranteed a record deal. Our stuff is that good!"

Leo got robbed of the Oscar for "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" That was the pinnacle if his career, playing Arnie.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Re: movies

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:39 am

IowaDiscGolf wrote: I like Marky Mark, he earned my respect in Boogie Nights: "Have you heard the tapes? Have you even heard them? We're guaranteed a record deal. Our stuff is that good!"

That doesn't sound like that line would be in Boogie Nights....maybe Rockstar?
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

it's good sh*t

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:36 am

Recall the scene where Dirk and his buddy Reed (played by John C. Reilly) are trying to record a rock demo? "Feel, feel, feel, feel my heat...." Dirk's trying to talk the owner of the studio into giving them their recordings without them having to pay for them first.

That whole rock demo studio sequence is hilarious.

I only found it hysterical because I've known real people like that.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:23 am

ah yes. I must be slipping in my old age.
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby redspexxx » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:32 am

has markey mark died in any movie besides the perfect storm? i was having an argument with a friend of mine after watching the departed...
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:41 am

'Fear' maybe? I don't remember how it ends.
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby garublador » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:42 am

redspexxx wrote:has markey mark died in any movie besides the perfect storm? i was having an argument with a friend of mine after watching the departed...

Did he make it all the way through Fear?
garublador
Disc Whore

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.