Movies...

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby roadkill » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:46 am

Okay it's starting to bother me for some reason now. Can we refer to him as Mark Wahlberg? He hasn't gone by Marky Mark since the very early 90's when he was still a little punk trying to sing and dance his way to fame. Now he's a reputable actor with some serious film credits.

We haven't referred to Mohammad Ali as Cashius Clay since the early 70s or called Kareem Abdul Jabbar Lew Alcinder since his days with the Bucks so what's up with the Marky Mark comments?
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1317
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: in the truck
Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby garublador » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:55 am

roadkill wrote: We haven't referred to Mohammad Ali as Cashius Clay since the early 70s or called Kareem Abdul Jabbar Lew Alcinder since his days with the Bucks so what's up with the Marky Mark comments?


Those guys started off with regular names and then changed them. Marky Mark gained popularity with the fake name and is now trying to go back. Once you pick the new, more flamboyant name you gotta stick with it.
garublador
Disc Whore
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:37 am
Location: Urbandale, IA

Postby bigs348 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:04 pm

garublador wrote:
roadkill wrote: We haven't referred to Mohammad Ali as Cashius Clay since the early 70s or called Kareem Abdul Jabbar Lew Alcinder since his days with the Bucks so what's up with the Marky Mark comments?


Those guys started off with regular names and then changed them. Marky Mark gained popularity with the fake name and is now trying to go back. Once you pick the new, more flamboyant name you gotta stick with it.


That goes for symbols, too. If you drop your name and decide to be a symbol, there's no going back. You're stuck with an unpronouncable symbol for life. Yeah, that's right, I'm talking to you, Prince.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 799
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:27 pm
Location: new jersey

Postby garublador » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:08 pm

bigs348 wrote:That goes for symbols, too. If you drop your name and decide to be a symbol, there's no going back. You're stuck with an unpronouncable symbol for life. Yeah, that's right, I'm talking to you, Prince.


I think he probably just got a really good deal on that one guitar and decided to change his name to justify buying it. Either way it's now, "The Artist Formerly Known as the Artist Formerly Known as Prince."
garublador
Disc Whore
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:37 am
Location: Urbandale, IA

Postby some call me...tim? » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:08 pm

And likewise, a certain performer from the same era will never be known as Robert Van Winkle by the masses at large.

I do try to call Mark Wahlberg by his real name though...he's earned himself some cred.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1946
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:01 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby MDR_3000 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:29 pm

roadkill wrote:
We haven't referred to Mohammad Ali as Cashius Clay since the early 70s or called Kareem Abdul Jabbar Lew Alcinder since his days with the Bucks so what's up with the Marky Mark comments?




His momma call him Clay, Imma call him Clay.
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar
 
Posts: 825
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:48 pm
Location: Davenport, IA

Postby Blake_T » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:40 pm

wut's mah name
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi
 
Posts: 5824
Joined: Mon May 31, 2004 12:44 am
Location: Minneapolis

Postby roadkill » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:21 pm

Marky Mark was a young punk who got into all kinds of trouble spent time in jail and was messed up.

Mark Wahlberg is a guy who grew up and did some things that earned respect and has made the transition into a new career in which he has excelled and played by the rules.

John Cougar/ John Cougar Mellencamp/ John Mellancamp

Sean Combs/ Sean Puffy Combs/ Puff Daddy/ Puffy/ P.Diddy/Sean Combs(again)

Society seems to allow many of these performers to change their name at the drop of a hat and yet I don't see a drastic change in their style or attitude.

On the other hand Mark Wahlberg made some positive changes and redeemed himself. Marky Mark was a stage name back in the day for what he was trying to market back then to me it isn't applicable to what he is today.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1317
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:56 pm
Location: in the truck
Favorite Disc: first run goblin

?

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:55 pm

Yeah, they should definitely regulate name changing. It keeps me up at night, all these whippersnappers changing their names willy-nilly.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:14 am

Postby garublador » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:55 am

roadkill wrote:Marky Mark was a young punk who got into all kinds of trouble spent time in jail and was messed up.

Mark Wahlberg is a guy who grew up and did some things that earned respect and has made the transition into a new career in which he has excelled and played by the rules.

John Cougar/ John Cougar Mellencamp/ John Mellancamp

Sean Combs/ Sean Puffy Combs/ Puff Daddy/ Puffy/ P.Diddy/Sean Combs(again)

Society seems to allow many of these performers to change their name at the drop of a hat and yet I don't see a drastic change in their style or attitude.

On the other hand Mark Wahlberg made some positive changes and redeemed himself. Marky Mark was a stage name back in the day for what he was trying to market back then to me it isn't applicable to what he is today.


Those are funny examples because I hear John Mellancamp and Puffy called by all of those names with equal frequency.

I'm not disputing that Mark Whalberg has made lots of positive changes, redeemed himself and has proven himself to be a talented actor and box office draw. I'm a big fan. However, if you ever give yourself a nickname, expect to be called by that nickname for life. Madonna hasn't changed her name dispite reinventing herself countless times, Flea is still Flea, Slash is still Slash and The Edge even stuck with The Edge dispite having one of the silliest names in showbiz.
garublador
Disc Whore
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:37 am
Location: Urbandale, IA

Previous

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron