is this for real?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

is this for real?

Postby swel304 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:29 pm

Ok I stumbled on another site that gives awards for most frivolous lawsuits. Most of them I can believe actually happend even though they are a little off the wall but this one just seems over the top. Has anyone heard of this from a reliable source, or can otherwise confirm it as truth?

7. This year's favorite could easily be Mr. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having driven onto the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly, the R.V. left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the owner's manual that he couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new motor home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons buying their recreation vehicles.

How in the hell could a jury award this idiot that kind of money, not to mention another RV instead of taking away his licence?

here is the link for anyone who likes reading about morons getting rich. http://ebaumsworld.com/stella.shtml
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Solty » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:41 pm

Welch....

i heard about that lawsuit as well...i too dont know if its legit....but neat nonetheless...
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby bigs348 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:49 pm

I've heard of this before, too. Back when cruise control first came out, there were several occasions with Japanese vacationers who would come to the US and rent an RV, set the cruise control, and then go in the back to go to the bathroom...
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby swel304 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:59 pm

It curise control not auto pilot! :lol: How dumb do you have to be to see the cruise button and think oh wow ive never heard of that but I bet it drives the car for me. There should be an all encompassing legal definition for idiot so people like this cant profit from it. maybe I could have someone throw a disc at my face and sue innova for the medical bills and the the lack of a dont stand in front of warning.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby djalizwan » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:09 am

Remember, the jury of his peers was probably other people from Oklahoma who thought they could do the same thing with their Winnebago, except they could not afford one.

I'm sorry, that was way to tempting. :twisted:
djalizwan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby garublador » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:35 am

garublador
Disc Whore

Postby redspexxx » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:41 am

djalizwan wrote:Remember, the jury of his peers was probably other people from Oklahoma who thought they could do the same thing with their Winnebago, except they could not afford one.

yea, i couldnt see anyone from texas doing that... :wink:
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby roadkill » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:11 am

While I don't have proof it's true I do believe it is. I heard about it a long time ago on a radio broadcast. That guy must've had some incredible lawyer. Either that or the jury was getting a kickback from the plantiff.

They are working on technology that will enable cars to have auto-pilot abilities. There's already a Lexus model that parallel parks itself. The auto pilot technology that's being developed uses speed and distance sensors as well as gps to control speed, apply brakes and get you to your destinations. Being that I'm a control freak I would never trust it myself but I suspect in about 15-20 years this technology may be avaliable in some (expensive) production models.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby garublador » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:20 am

roadkill wrote:While I don't have proof it's true I do believe it is. I heard about it a long time ago on a radio broadcast.

Again, Snopes is your friend:

http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/cruise.asp

These are urban legends. They aren't true.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby roadkill » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:01 pm

Garu,

Okay I just visited snopes. Yes, according to them this event was a widely circulated fabrication. The site's pretty cool, I bookmarked it for future BS detection,
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Amateur » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:50 pm

SIMPSONS DID IT!

sorry couldn't resist
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby djalizwan » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:09 pm

djalizwan
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby garublador » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:12 pm

roadkill wrote:Garu,

Okay I just visited snopes. Yes, according to them this event was a widely circulated fabrication. The site's pretty cool, I bookmarked it for future BS detection,

It's a great site. It makes you feel kind of dumb the first time you look through it, but it's a great way to hone your BS detector.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:28 pm

I can see it possibly happening, because to prove someone guilty for something it has to be without a reasonable doubt that they could have prevented it. Liabilities are a bitch, especially with people who lack something, common sense, which would result in their death quickly if Darwin's theory applied to social adaptation as much as it does for biological adaptation.
"When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee"
-Dr. Stancil Johnson
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.