new vist laptop yay/boo

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

new vist laptop yay/boo

Postby swel304 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:43 pm

so I smoked my desktop today. Ive been wanting and laptop anyway for work and whatnot so I went out and god one. I know most of you are going to laugh because its a toshiba sattellitel. So far its pretty damn nice though. If I put any game on it they wiil be fairly old so that shouldnt be aproblem. The biggest irritant is getting useed to vista. everything is so different. I guess I will get used to it. Im having alot of trouble typing on this keyboard also :lol: So does anyone else use vista yet? opinioins?
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby swel304 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:35 pm

well...... its pretty. I cant say Im in love with vista yet but it sure looks nice and seems to run very fast. That max/pc commercial isnt a lie though. it has to ask if its ok to do anythink. You press "S" allow or deny. You hit the space bar allow or deny. You need to piss allow or deny? :roll:

Incidentally, the toshiba was a piece. The eject button for the pc card slot was broken off and down inside the machine. The tag said up to 2 gb of ram but when I went to upgrade it had both slots full, 2x512's. so two 1gb cards were 160 each so for the extra 300$+ I just went with another maching for less money than the upgrade. Better machine at that (gateway) that already had the 2 gig in it..

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Donkeypuncher » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:54 pm

Good, I didn't want to be a dick and tell you how much that laptop sucked. Dell and gateway are good places to get it from, and usually fix anything like that. I'm not a fan of vista, I don't need graphics to look on the internet and the desktop annoys me. If you're a hardcore gamer, you will have to get vista because it's the only OS that can run direct x 10. All the new badass games will use DX10 so you're screwed if your have xp or 2k. Being able to put a video as your background is pretty cool, but I'm not sure if the features justify that jacked up price tag.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby swel304 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:50 am

Donkeypuncher wrote:\ I'm not a fan of vista, I don't need graphics to look on the internet and the desktop annoys me.

I knows what you mean but people said the same thing about xp when it relased. vidaa will get better.

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Donkeypuncher » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:13 am

I didn't like XP either, I'm still rockin' windows 2k and I have yet to have any problems. XP is just windows 2k with some makeup on it, and it just seems to choke up with all the features they added. I guess I'm just old school, but all my pc's run better when I swap it to 2k so I stick with it. All my pc's are at least 2.4ghz with plenty of ram so I'm sure xp was the culptrit.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:00 am

If I remember correctly, Windows xp is basically Windows NT. At least this is what the techs at work told me years ago.

Vista looks too busy for me. I'll probably upgrade to it when I get my next system. Props to Dell. I've been running a Dimenstion 4500 for 5 years not; other than the hard drive filling up, I've had to problems with it.

The reason Vista is faster is the new processor speeds and ram. I upgraded my old Dell to 1 gig of ram and thought it was in heaven. To go to VIsta, I will need 2gig. Hence, I believe the speed is due to the increased memory rather than operating system.

It was the same deal with xp. To upgrade to xp, I believe I needed to add a ram chip. Of course, my computer got faster.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jones » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:28 am

XP Pro is more like a grown up Windows 2000. It has a lot more bells and whistles, and may run a bit slower if your computer doesn't have enough resources. The difference between XP Pro and XP Home is more in the guts than in the looks. XP home is not anywhere near as complicated than XP Pro; XP Pro has a lot of different code in place to prevent lock ups and crashes than XP Home does not.

I don't have much experience with Vista but I am to guess that the cheaper versions(Home, etc) are similar in this regard and to stay away from them if you can. I know Vista Home doesn't support the 3d effects that some of the upper end versions do. Although for just internet and e-mail it wouldn't be a bad choice if you are looking to get out cheaper.
-
These new discs are dumb...
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby sleepy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:43 am

You could always run Linux.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Rooster » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:34 pm

sleepy wrote:You could always run Linux.

sleepy

or do the right thing and get a mac.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby J2 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:06 pm

Rooster wrote:

sleepy

thats funny :roll:
J2
Noob

Postby swel304 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:02 pm

Rooster wrote:

sleepy

exactly, computers that can be used for so little dont ever break down. :roll:
well circiut city had to replace a slew of pc's for me but I finally got what I wanted and more.
17 inch monitor
2 gb rm
256 dedicated video ram (nvidia go 7600)
a sweet mouse pad deal that even has the scroll line on it.
all kinds of fancy buttons for sound/dvd/ ect...
even a full size keyboard with the numberpad
litescribe burner
and many other usefull features.
Still not to crazy about vista but I think it will grow on me.
it even has a build in webcam that I will never use
and if I buy the optional usb antena I can watch local tv on it.

1400$ is a bit steep but Id hate to buy something and regret not spending the extra cash in a few months. it even came with a remote that will hide away in the pc card slot. this thing is just sweet.

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.