avoid ciruit citty like the plauge

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

avoid ciruit citty like the plauge

Postby swel304 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:03 pm

Ok so as per my other thread you may already konw I have been looking for a laptop. 4 laptops in 3 days. First I want to point out that the guys in the pc department dont have a clues about what they are selling. the whole plan is to push the most expensive unit on you, which is odd since they dont get dont get any commission.
Anyway, because I was looking for something with dedicated vid mem so I could actually play a game on it I had to keep returning the ones they sold me because they dont have a clues what they are talking about.
This morning I retuned a gateway. The box was a little messed up and I didnt feel like repacking it so I just brought it with me and took the laptop in my laptop bag. In my bag I also had and optical 4 button mouse and a usb cable. I decided to give them one more chance to look at what they had. So I left the bag on the service desk and asked them if they could keep an eye on it so no one thought I was stealing a bag. they said ok so I went on my way. On my way out I picked up my bag and zipped it up. When I got home I went to empty it out and low and behold the usb mouse was gone. Now Im not saying an employee took it but someone did. I argued with them for over and hour to the point of calling corprate and filing a formal complaint. the woman acted like I was a idiot and put me on hold for like 20 min. when she finnally got back she said " well I called the store, they reviewed the video tapes and no one touched your bag so tough shit. So I walked back into the circuit city and said so let me see the tapes then if its true. "well the tapes are in a back room and we cant let you in therer". bulls@#$t. If they accompanied me to said room and showed me the tapes there should be no problem. The woman was just being a B%^#%. Needless to say I wont buy so much as a blank cd from circuit city again. rediculous. I could understand if I was asking for a 1000$ item but we are talking about a 15$ usb mouse for christe sake. What a jack. I bet if I had start screaming and making a scene they would have done something for me.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby domromer » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:19 pm

Fuck Circuit City, They are firing 2300 workers who they say earn too much money. They will replace them with lower paid workers or let them re-apply for thier jobs in 10 weeks.

This was in the NY Times last week.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070328/circuit_ ... html?.v=10
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:43 pm

domromer wrote:Fuck Circuit City, They are firing 2300 workers who they say earn too much money. They will replace them with lower paid workers or let them re-apply for thier jobs in 10 weeks.

This was in the NY Times last week.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070328/circuit_ ... html?.v=10

that would just turn them into best buy. the only real difference between the two is that circut city employees seem to know their product more.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby jmammo » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:09 am

All my expirences with ciruct city have been horrible. None of them, like what was said, have no fing idea what they are trying to sell. I went to go buy a T.V. with my dad one day from there becasue they had lower prices on a model that we where looking a and the guy had to read us out of a book what was the difference between these two T.V's we where looking at. The y are never any help, so I just limit all my purchases to Tiger direct.
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby garublador » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:42 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:that would just turn them into best buy. the only real difference between the two is that circut city employees seem to know their product more.

I find that is highly dependent on location. Whether or not you can find anyone that knows anything is totally hit and miss when it comes to big box retailers.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:10 am

garublador wrote:
Thatdirtykid wrote:that would just turn them into best buy. the only real difference between the two is that circut city employees seem to know their product more.

I find that is highly dependent on location. Whether or not you can find anyone that knows anything is totally hit and miss when it comes to big box retailers.

I'm going to have to agree with you and disagree with kid even though I have the utmost respect for both of you. When I bought my first digital camera about a year ago, I went o best buy and asked a bunch of questions (I know technology, but never had a digital camera before other than helping friends with theirs). The employees at Best Buy in Brownsville Texas simply read the descriptions from the tags of the camera. I kept asking about pixels and zoom and such. They finally handed me some info sheet (which actually helped), but didn't answer any of my questions.

So I read what they gave me, searched on the Internet, and went to Circuit city about 3 blocks away. I expected the same thing, some high school kid trying to earn enough money for beer for the weekend or to buy a game card to play their dungeon master game. I got just the opposite, a young man that wouldn't let me take the camera I wanted (I had learned much from doing my own research) until he explained all the specs and compared it to other similar cameras. I only recently went back to best buy to get a dvd I wanted (over a year later).

As for computers, I don't even bother. My first few computers, I put together myself from parts from catalogs. My last one was from Dell. You call tell them exactly what you want on it (if not , just tell them what you want to do with it) and they make the computer to your specs.

Maybe a little more money, but you get the computer you want/need. Oh, also if you watch for sales, the price is roughly the same as a circuit city/best buy. A computer with everything my dell came with was 100 bucks more at circuit city the year I bought mine.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mothrows » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:48 am

While we're talking about stores I'd just like to add that wal-mart is the evil empire that's trying to take over the world.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby zealot » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:58 am

f them!
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby krusen » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:07 am

mothrows wrote:While we're talking about stores I'd just like to add that wal-mart is the evil empire that's trying to take over the world.

I used to think so, but they donated $1000 to our local course.

That ought to buy them a couple years of relief from my hateful wrath.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby mothrows » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:33 am

krusen wrote:
mothrows wrote:While we're talking about stores I'd just like to add that wal-mart is the evil empire that's trying to take over the world.

I used to think so, but they donated $1000 to our local course.

That ought to buy them a couple years of relief from my hateful wrath.
Don't tell me that, I want to keep hating them.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby garublador » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:21 am

TexasOutlaw wrote:
garublador wrote:

I'm going to have to agree with you and disagree with kid even though I have the utmost respect for both of you. When I bought my first digital camera about a year ago, I went o best buy and asked a bunch of questions (I know technology, but never had a digital camera before other than helping friends with theirs). The employees at Best Buy in Brownsville Texas simply read the descriptions from the tags of the camera. I kept asking about pixels and zoom and such. They finally handed me some info sheet (which actually helped), but didn't answer any of my questions.

So I read what they gave me, searched on the Internet, and went to Circuit city about 3 blocks away. I expected the same thing, some high school kid trying to earn enough money for beer for the weekend or to buy a game card to play their dungeon master game. I got just the opposite, a young man that wouldn't let me take the camera I wanted (I had learned much from doing my own research) until he explained all the specs and compared it to other similar cameras. I only recently went back to best buy to get a dvd I wanted (over a year later).

As for computers, I don't even bother. My first few computers, I put together myself from parts from catalogs. My last one was from Dell. You call tell them exactly what you want on it (if not , just tell them what you want to do with it) and they make the computer to your specs.

Maybe a little more money, but you get the computer you want/need. Oh, also if you watch for sales, the price is roughly the same as a circuit city/best buy. A computer with everything my dell came with was 100 bucks more at circuit city the year I bought mine.

The funny thing is if you had gone to either of those stores a different day you could have had the exact opposite experience. If the really good guy you talked to at Circuit City hadn't been there that day you may have had the same experience as Best Buy.

I also agree on saying away from big box retailers for computers.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby jorr16 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:27 am

I used to work at our local Best Buy and what some of you guys are saying is true. There really are people that that don't have a clue what they are talking about and are basically thrown in there. I worked in the Media section which was cd's, dvd's, video games, phones, and some office suppiles. Granted it is not hard to sell a cd, but I had no training in the phones or anything like that. I'm not sure if that has changed now but I think your best bet is to get as much info online as you can so you can make the informed decison about what to get.
J
When walking up to tee
Strive to be bogey free

Discs for Trade/Sale
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... php?t=3395
jorr16
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:34 am

the best way to go is to research yourself before you buy. But Around here Circut City employees are tested pretty tough (i know a couple guys who work for them) on their stuff. While some of my little sisters friends (16year olds) work at best buy. . .
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:02 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:the best way to go is to research yourself before you buy. But Around here Circut City employees are tested pretty tough (i know a couple guys who work for them) on their stuff. While some of my little sisters friends (16year olds) work at best buy. . .

You're right about the research. I still like to ask questions though. And I believe employees should be able to answer simple questions.

One of my favorite gripes is when I go and ask for help, and they tell me it's not their department.... Makes me wonder if whoever is supposed to be here is goofing off in said department.

Also, it's not just these franchises. If you go to a pet store chain, these kids don't know a guppy from a cichlid. I saw someone buying brichardies and tetras. Unless they are going to feed one to the other, that just shouldn't happen.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JerryS » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:25 pm

There are sites that specialize in good deals.

http://www.slickdeals.net/

http://techbargains.com/

http://www.fatwallet.com/news/

I watch these places every day and you can find some fantastic deals with a little patience. I particularly like SlickDeals.net.

Jerry S.
DiscGolfCenter.com
JerryS
Noob

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.