avoid ciruit citty like the plauge

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby kvanorsdel » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:48 pm

krusen wrote:
mothrows wrote:While we're talking about stores I'd just like to add that wal-mart is the evil empire that's trying to take over the world.

I used to think so, but they donated $1000 to our local course.

That ought to buy them a couple years of relief from my hateful wrath.

Our local Wal Mart donated 18 Rubbermaid garbage cans last year to our clubs Adopt-a-hole program at Elver Park (about $250 worth). Their donation made a huge difference with the amount of trash that ended up on the course.

We are hoping the Wal Mart on the otherside of town near another one of our courses will do the same thing this year.

Jumping on the "smash wal mart the evil empire" bandwagon is just to easy for some. There are plenty of global domination companies out there to pick on as well.
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby swel304 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:33 pm

when I go to a wal mart I dont expect an employe to know jack about anything other than whats on thier paycheck. not to say anytthing about them or call them the "evil empire" they just arent well trained in products. there is a reason its the cheapest place to buy anything.

Now with the laptop fiasco.... I went to two circuit cities. The first one was just a collection of jackasses that didnt have a clue about any product other than the price. The kept telling me oh yeah this one is great for games even though it was using the intel graphic accelerator (64meg shared) which is junk. I even got a guy after the 3rd return with the nerve to tell me "well if you know so much about computers you should know all the ones with the nvidia logo are 64 meg shared :roll: which btw is not true).

So I went to a second CC where all the pc sales guys knew a tremendous amount about what they were selling. Not to mention they could talk to you without being rude.

I agree that building your own is the way to do, ive build my last 5 desktops and they all worked great, and if anything went wrong it was nothinig to fix myself. getting a laptop is a bit different, its just not that easy to build a nice laptop and expect it to run well.

I am also curious about how many of you have a vista machine. Im really starting to come around to it. its just pretty sweet even though I have trouble finding anything. :lol: Granted the hardware is sweet but this thing runs pretty damn fast even with a crapload of tsr's in the taskbar.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby domromer » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:41 pm

well, walmart makes it so easy with the total destruction of mom and pop type shops. Plus relying on medicare as their employee health care plan, helps keeps those pop-tarts nice and cheap!

The only people who benifit from Walmart are those in China. We subsidise walmart with our taxes as most of the employees are either on food stamps or welfare. Or both!

So yeah it is pretty easy to bash walmart.

But is sure is nice that they gave you those trash cans.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:20 am

Wal Mart is not known for hiring quality employees. Your qualification for working at Wal Mart is: you can't find a job anywhere else.

The best part is that the managers know this, and expect stupid things from their employees. I've had male employees walk into the changing rooms while my ex wife was changing clothes. I caught one checker "forgetting" to scan items of someone before me; when I called him on it, he offered to do the same for me. The manager simply nodded his head; expected that behavior from that employee.

Of course, where else can I get a 30 pack of Busch beer for 12 bucks?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby swel304 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:59 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:Wal Mart is not known for hiring quality employees. Your qualification for working at Wal Mart is: you can't find a job anywhere else.

The best part is that the managers know this, and expect stupid things from their employees. I've had male employees walk into the changing rooms while my ex wife was changing clothes. I caught one checker "forgetting" to scan items of someone before me; when I called him on it, he offered to do the same for me. The manager simply nodded his head; expected that behavior from that employee.

you forgot the only other requirement, passing a piss test. beyond that, they will write you name on the app for you if you cant do it yourself :lol: LIke I said though, I dont expect a walmart employee to know anything about a product other than the price (and they usuallly have to look that up). Hell Im impressed to see one tie his shoes withtout help! :lol:

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Smoke » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:44 pm

Like Rodney Carrington said " The only requirement to work at Walmart.....is must be breathing "

I had a small amount of experience with Walmart, actually just an interview ( ya I know I must have been drunk to want to work at Walmart. I didn't take the job though, kinda sad when the person giving you your interview was trying to recover from a hangover, and actually admitted to having one.
I'm neither a bear, nor a cheetah..I'm a WOLVERINE!

"Must get past the first tree....um the second one too." - Bill
"Start the lawnmower..smack the midget." - D, when talking about how to throw
"No Low Putts!" - Hell if I know
Smoke
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby kvanorsdel » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:50 pm

swel304 wrote:
TexasOutlaw wrote:Wal Mart is not known for hiring quality employees. Your qualification for working at Wal Mart is: you can't find a job anywhere else.

you forgot the only other requirement, passing a piss test. beyond that, they will write you name on the app for you if you cant do it yourself :lol: LIke I said though, I dont expect a walmart employee to know anything about a product other than the price (and they usuallly have to look that up). Hell Im impressed to see one tie his shoes withtout help! :lol:

While I don't want to get into an argument about the pros and cons of wal mart, because everyone is allowed to have their opinions. You should probably try to know a little something about what you are talking about when making your anti-wally world posts.

If you have any type of criminal charges on your record especially within a year of applying you will be Red flagged by their computer system and not even get a call about your application. So there is some discrimination in who they hire. Just ask my brother in-law he has had to join the Navy

I don't see it any different shopping at any big box store. the employees they have are hit or miss depending alot on store location. This includes the Managers at all levels as well as the on the floor staff. I'm guessing we can all think of people in our own workplaces that are do nothings that are only there to collect a paycheck.

Each Big Box store has the ability to put small businesses out of business if one opens up in their vacinity. There just happens to be alot more Wal Marts in the world than Circut Cities.
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby swel304 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:37 pm

is it possible to say something on this board without offending someone?

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:39 pm

nope!
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Amateur » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:26 pm

where's roadkill...
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby garublador » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:16 am

When I worked at Best Buy the only qualifications I had were that I passed the pee test an didn't have a criminal record. I guess I did push carts around at Target for a year, but that wasn't part of my duties at Best Buy. Apparently that's all you needed at the time to sell home and car audio and cellular phones. I was pretty much on my own to learn everything about the department and the products. They did show me a short video on how to sell computers, but for some odd reason that didn't help me much.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby swel304 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:21 am

"excuse me sir but befor we can let you sell overpriced electronics and wear a snazzy blue shirt, I'm gonna need you to pee in this cup. yeah, hmmm, that would be great"

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:49 pm

Write a nice, concise letter to corporate. They don't want bad press these days.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:45 am

kvanorsdel wrote:Jumping on the "smash wal mart the evil empire" bandwagon is just to easy for some. There are plenty of global domination companies out there to pick on as well.

Funny you should mention a Rubbermaid donation from Wal-Mart, considering the history those two companies have. Google Rubbermaid+Wal-Mart.

In my experience Big Box stores are more concerned with growth than with delivering service value. This works like a charm on your average cheapskate who thinks they're outsmarting the rest of the population when they get a piece-of-junk laptop at crackhead prices - after waiting in line with 10 other cheapskates and weathering the 'ol service agreement up-sell. The revenues the company makes in volume aren't passed along to employees, as you can see by the fact that the employees selling items couldn't care less whether you walk out of the store empty-handed or not. They're watching the clock.

Having said that, a 30-pack of beer for $12 is a beautiful thing. Just not Busch "Canned Headache" beer.

IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Postby garublador » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:52 am

swel304 wrote:"excuse me sir but befor we can let you sell overpriced electronics and wear a snazzy blue shirt, I'm gonna need you to pee in this cup. yeah, hmmm, that would be great"

I acutally did the pee test twice, once when I was first hired and once a few years in when I was coming back for the summer, and at my last count, I filled out 5 applications. The hiring manager kept loosing them. Actually by the time I left (~4 years) every single person that had anything to do with hireing me had been fired or asked to quit.
garublador
Disc Whore

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.