verntrilo

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

verntrilo

Postby swel304 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:33 am

ok so I got my new laptop and world of warcraft. I got a buddy that plays and my first night on he gets me in his clan (kind of like a disc golf club for computer geeks for anyone who doesnt know what I am talking about). Now of course you can talk by typing but this is a new age, we might as well chisel our messages in stone right? So the guild is using a nifty little program called ventrilo , and i have to say it works reallly well. I remember trying an early version of it a few years back playing everyquest and it was just a mess. So it got me thinking, how bout a dgr ventrilo chat room. We can set it up and anyone with a mic can log in and talk away without torturing thier fingers to talk about the coolest new disc! :lol:

Anyway I would probobly have to have a girl from the guild help me set it up, and she said she had no problem with that (she called me on my cell phone last night just to help me get into the guild vent), so if there is any intrest please respond here. I for one think it would be pretty cool. I mean this thing has clearer sound quality than my cell, its just so friggin sweet.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby jamsisjams » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:40 am

Do it. :!:
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jmammo » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:47 am

Yup I suggested that a few times in the DGR Phone Consultation thread. I would defiantly be up for it. I use vent. with my CoD2 clan and when I play BF2
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Fritz » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:16 pm

Ventrilo kicks ass. I use this everyday to talk with my friends, I figure why use cell minutes or tie up a phone line when I can use it for free over the internet while I game, surf forums etc...
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby AciDBatH666 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:33 pm

My WoW guild uses Teamspeak. I think Vent comes thru clearer, but they pay the server bill so its whatever they want.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby swel304 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:12 pm

i didnt know there was payment involved. vent is super clear. its like sitting right next to the person you are talking about. If its not expensive maybe we can set up a donation fund for it and get it going. I think it would be sweet.

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby AciDBatH666 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:50 pm

Well its hosted on our server, which is online 24/7. Its the server we have to pay for, not for Vent itself
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Postby swel304 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:04 pm

could it be hosted on the dgr server space?

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby swel304 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:06 pm

ok I asked some guildies about vent a bit ago. Its 120$ a year for a vent server. kinda pricey but it works really friggin nice. I dont know if blake would be willing to take donatations to start something like this but id be happy to pitch in. with all the regulars here 120$ shouldnt be hard to come up with.

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby rusch_bag » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:46 am

I have 15 different vent servers saved onto my vent right now. Some of them are being used and others are not. Some of them don't even have any rooms set up. I'm sure it wouldn't really matter if you guys were to "borrow" one of these not very frequently used servers. You wouldn't have any control to kick people out or create your own rooms but it's something.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:21 am

Vent and Teamspeak are cool. You have to secure it, or you get people on there making random noises and such. I don't use a mic anymore. Too many people found my accent funny.

I would figure the people on this forum are not like that. Of course, the way I see it, they are the ones with the accent, not I.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby swel304 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:03 am

well post the info and tell me how to connect. you can make fun of my hillbilly accent all you want.

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby AciDBatH666 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:52 am

yeah there are plenty of other servers you could use. Hell, you could host your own if you want, but once you shut it down no one will have access to it anymore. Thats the only reason some ppl get theirs hosted. But if you only want it up for certain occasions you could just host it yourself whenever something comes up.

I really don't think too many ppl would join up. I really don't have any urgings to get connected and basically have a conference call setup going of a handful of guys talking about disc golf. Just doesn't seem to appealing to me.
I just don't see many benefits other than for a DG consultation from Blake maybe.
But who knows.
I'd join up, but I wouldn't really talk.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:16 am

It would be good for consultations from Blake and others. Also, it could be a way for us to BS since many of us have similar interests.

I would certainly go get a mic for it. For those that don't know, both TS and vent are free downloads. But, you need someone to host the server. It needs to be someone who doesn't turn off their computer.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.