Tough outdoor pants?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Tough outdoor pants?

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Anyone recommend a good puncture-resistant, rugged outdoor pant that's still suitable for disc golf? One of our local courses is chock full of locusts, multi-floral rose, and nettles, not to mention TICKS.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:37 pm

When im playing rough courses like that I just wear some cheap cargo pants that I get at Walmart for under 10 bucks or so. I can slip in the mud, get caught on thorns, get grease and oil on em and never care.
In situations like that it's my preference to get something cheap rather than get something costly and be afraid of ruining em
Last edited by AciDBatH666 on Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:41 pm

Carhartts are always a safe bet for something thats going to hold up. As far as outdoor pants...most of the big name outdoor companies will provide good stuff, but they're generally pretty expensive. Mountain Hardwear and Arcteryx are two brands that I give a big thumbs up to for their clothing--but you WILL pay for them. Prana makes some halfway decent stuff...all of their pants have the gusseted crotch which helps a lot with flexibility. They're generally pretty stylish too, but I haven't had a pair hold up for nearly as long as any of the brands listed above. Gramicci makes pretty good stuff too, but make sure you try them on before buying...their sizing varies all over the place.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jamsisjams » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:45 pm

Carhartts are the way to go. Look around for deals, however, b/c Carhartt is the brand for rednecks in my area. And by the previous statement, I'm just saying that certain enterprising businesses will attempt to charge more than others.
Tsunami-SOLF--JLS-Wasp-Buzzz--Wizard-Whitler

"Hit me with your wisdom, cow."
jamsisjams
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Texas Made » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:03 am

Carhartt-
the most rugged pants on the planet...
I recomend the Brown Canvas style, they are fairly waterproof,
but they do take a while to break in...
"I dont know if I can sink this putt, theres a Bush in the way- Kind of like the US goverment"...

Texas Made
Tree Magnet

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:47 am

So noted, Carharts it is. For all the Columbia and other outdoor pants I've looked at Carharts definitely look like they'll take the best beating from thorns and nettles.

I picked up RhinoTuff steel insoles too, after having three different golfers tell me about their shoes (and feet) being punctured by locust thorns.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Postby cmlasley » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:18 pm

IowaDiscGolf wrote:after having three different golfers tell me about their shoes (and feet) being punctured by locust thorns.

And making a shish-kabab out of your calf.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:02 am

Wow, I'd never heard of locusts before (besides the insect). I didn't know what you were talking about, but did a quick google search and saw this:

YOWZAH!!! Would not one to lose a disc around one of those trees! Man, you have those on top of nettles, roses, and ticks? What part of the country are you in? We've got the scourge of blackberries here, and occasionally some nettle, but that's about the extent of it. Oh yeah, rain too. :roll:
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:07 am

Tim_the_Enchanter wrote: Man, you have those on top of nettles, roses, and ticks? What part of the country are you in?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's in Iowa. ;)
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:26 am

lol. man I feel lucky now. the worst we get is yuccas and the occasional poision ivy/oak. oh yeah, and the occasional rattlesnake. . .
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:02 pm

The wonderful thing is that locust thorns are notorious for puncturing lawn tractor and automobile tires. They make short work of human flesh, so be careful around them and watch where you're walking.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Postby chris86wm » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:16 pm

I have a friend that stepped on one of those bad boys a few months ago and it went straight threw his shoe and into his foot like a nail. I had to pull the sucker out while he was hopping around yelling like crazy.

During a tournament a guy threw a champion monster into a bunch of them and it punched three holes in the flight plate of his disc.

Those things are definitely nasty
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Postby Amateur » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:48 am

chris86wm wrote: ...it went straight threw his shoe and into his foot like a nail. I had to pull the sucker out while he was hopping around yelling like crazy.
...a guy threw a champion monster into a bunch of them and it punched three holes in the flight plate of his disc.

Woweeee! That's brutal. I'd leave my favorite disc in the middle of a thick patch of that shit.

For real though, with 6 inch thorns how hard are those spikes to see?
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:46 am

i am betting in kinda tall grass, if one is loose of the bush it could be pretty difficult.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.