Automatic knives

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Automatic knives

Postby wannabediscstar » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:01 pm

I have seen a few firearm related topics in here and was wondering if any of you guys had any experiences ordering auto's online . I have been toying around with making some fixed blades using stock removal ( maybe one day forging ) and been slobering over an auto for a while . Do they ask for proof of active military - police ? Just wandering if any of you guys have been there , done that . :lol:
wannabediscstar
Noob

Postby NoLifeLeft » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:55 pm

I used to work at a place that sold autos. They always required proof of active mil. or law enf. and kept records as proof.

If you don't mind me asking...Why an auto?
Autos really don't usually offer anything you can't get from a WELL MADE spring-assisted for much cheaper and without the hoops to jump through.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby Glock23 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:38 pm

I agree. Autos aren't worth the hassle. My daily carry is a kershaw blur. under $100, and spring assisted.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby wannabediscstar » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:44 pm

If you don't mind me asking...Why an auto?

Don't know really , just fascinated with the concept I guess . I lead a pretty responsible existence so it wouldn't be carried , mainly fondled . :lol: And as far as carry I like assisted all right . Kershaw's got one I have been eye ballin :shock: but I also like cold steels recon series as far as toughness and value . I edged my buddys tanto recon and was massively impressed with the product . Probably the first tool man ever used was a hammer ( rock ) to shape and sharpen a cutting device ( rock ) Its almost enlaced in my dna I guess .
wannabediscstar
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:37 am

Glock23 wrote:I agree. Autos aren't worth the hassle. My daily carry is a kershaw blur. under $100, and spring assisted.

Isn't spring assisted illegal? Do y'all mean tension rods? That's what my Kershaws have.

Also, I love these, but you can work with any single-hand open knife to make it faster. My Cold Steel are about as quick as my Kershaws.

I would recommend getting a knife you can carry, like a Kershaw, rather than one to just have at the house.

Cold Steel has some nice knives. I like their voyagers best, but I just bought the tru-lite (which reminds me of the old style switch blades). They also have something called the AK 47, or something like that. It didn't feel right in my hand though.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby NoLifeLeft » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:54 pm

Kershaw is an absolutly great company. I've owned a Whirlwind since shortly after they came out(98 or 99). Finally the spring gave out and broke, so I called Kershaw and they were VERY helpful. They said I could ship the knife to them or if I was comfortable installing it they would just send me a spring. I opted to have them send me the spring. I called them on a Monday or Tuesday, I had TWO springs in my mailbox on Thursday. No charge, no questions about serial # or use. I've been a diehard Kershaw fan every since.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:45 am

The Whirlwind is a very nice, fast knife. Also, get yourself a chives by Kershaw; it's a 30 dollar, smaller knife also assisted.

You can still modify a knife to be faster. One of the best things to do to a knife is take a router and cut out part of the grip around the opening knob. That's what's wrong with my Tru lite right now. Also, you can open up the screws a little to speed it up.

Of course keeping it well oiled is essential. I have no hair left on my arms from showing people how sharp I keep my knives.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby wannabediscstar » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:40 pm

I have no hair left on my arms from showing people how sharp I keep my knives.

Thats funny ! :lol: My wife got uber pissed when I explained the misterious stubble patches on my arms when I first leared ( note : Not Mastered ) edging a blade . Ahhh yes , the universal display of sharpness , not much for attracting mates . :D But I have always liked the feel of Kershaw products and hearing all of the props you guys shoot to them I'll be making a purchase soon .
wannabediscstar
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:29 pm

wannabediscstar wrote:
I have no hair left on my arms from showing people how sharp I keep my knives.

Thats funny ! :lol: My wife got uber pissed when I explained the misterious stubble patches on my arms when I first leared ( note : Not Mastered ) edging a blade . Ahhh yes , the universal display of sharpness , not much for attracting mates . :D But I have always liked the feel of Kershaw products and hearing all of the props you guys shoot to them I'll be making a purchase soon .

It's a great knife, especially to knife enthusiast. Don't over look Cold Steel. The only thing to watch out for is that they started making some in Taiwan. So check to see if you are buying a Japanese or Taiwanese Cold Steel. They say the quality is the same, but its hard for me to believe that since the ones made in Taiwan are about half the price. In case you lost it in my rambling, you want the japanese ones.

I've also had benchmade; ok, nothing to write home about, but saved my life several times. Smith and Wesson, didn't like them too much. Spiderco, nice but expensive, sold it to pay my car bill. And a few others not worth mentioning. I had a Kabar, but someone offered me an outrageous amount of money for it, so I sold it.

Kershaw is like a legal switchblade. Still, Cold Steel (voyager with the tanto blade) is my favorite knife.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby NoLifeLeft » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:00 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:Also, get yourself a chives by Kershaw; it's a 30 dollar, smaller knife also assisted.

Actually, I purchased a Leek, its thin like the Chive but longer. It fits my hand better than the Chive. Another fantastic knife.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mothrows » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:37 pm

Way to go guys. I didn't even know that I wanted a knife til I read this thread. :)
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:05 am

NoLifeLeft wrote:
TexasOutlaw wrote:Also, get yourself a chives by Kershaw; it's a 30 dollar, smaller knife also assisted.

Actually, I purchased a Leek, its thin like the Chive but longer. It fits my hand better than the Chive. Another fantastic knife.

If it's Kershaw, it will be a fine knife. With the chive available at wal mart for 25-30 bucks, I would get one anyway. Hide it in your sneaker as a back up. I sometimes put mine in my hat. They never check my hat....
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:08 am

mothrows wrote:Way to go guys. I didn't even know that I wanted a knife til I read this thread. :)

Next best thing to carrying a gun. Get yourself a nice one. Remember you're buying a self defense knife, so don't go bottom of the barrel cheap. The way I see it: I can carry the 10 dollar knife from the dollar store or a nice Cold Steel worth 10 times more; my life is worth more than 10 dollars, no?

To summarize, I see these as self defense knives, so getting one that holds its edge and can be honed easily is important.

Oh, keep some porcelain rods, and just run it through every time you pur it in/out of your pocket. It stays sharp forever.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mothrows » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:04 am

How much do the rods cost?
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby J2 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:17 am

heh, i always thought of a knife as a tool, not a weapon.
J2
Noob

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.