Automatic knives

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby wannabediscstar » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:33 am

heh, i always thought of a knife as a tool, not a weapon
Close quaters it can easily be the most efficent weapon . Plus its a very versitiale tool , I feel naked without .
wannabediscstar
Noob

Postby J2 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:42 am

i know it can easily be a weapon, but ive never run into a situation where it was needed.
J2
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:05 pm

mothrows wrote:How much do the rods cost?

Not more than 10 bucks. I have several sharpening items. I run them through those every day just for honing. I also have diamond stone from Gerber for when I know I'll be away from the house. Oh, I even sharpen straight razors with them.

I just bought some Lanskey system. THe only reason I did was it lets you control the edge angle.

I always distinguish my "weapons" (your word not mine, for me a fork is a weapon) and utility knives. Trust me, you dont want to pull your knive in a condition red situation if you've been cutting boxes open with it. The intruder will not let you saw to cut him..

Hopefully you never have to use a weopon in such a situation, but I got a great story about Mexico that makes most people want to go get one immediately.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mothrows » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:07 pm

Would you go with the Kershaw Blur or the Whirlwind?
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:14 pm

mothrows wrote:Would you go with the Kershaw Blur or the Whirlwind?

I have a whirlwind. I'll stop by the shop today and look at a blur.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Glock23 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:18 pm

The Blur. The more drastic tanto is nice, it is balanced well, and holds an edge as it should. If you check Wal-mart, the sell them for around $55, which is even cheaper than online. It is a good American made knife, at a great price.

As far as the sharpness of a weapon goes, a slightly dull blade will not require you to "saw". With any amount of thrust or force, and knife will pass through flesh like butter, even a dull one. The % of water in the body makes it an easy medium to cut, and the razer type blade won't be as effective as one with a "fighting edge". Keeping a blade too sharp will cause more harm than good in most situations, especially when its intended use is a weapon. Being able to shave hair isn't a characteristic of a good fighting knife, though it may impress your friends.

I am not personally a fan of Cold Steel, mainy for their marketing and the owner is a dick. They do have some decent stuff though. Kershaw is a nice knife for the money. Emmerson's are fantastic, especially with the wave feature, though they are pricey. Spyderco and CKRT make some nice import knives, and use good steel. Ka-bar is a great fixed blade, but is more knife than most of us will ever need. A 4" blade if plenty for any task.

For some good information read this thread:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=8341
For some information on different makes and models, check here:
http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:35 am

The Blur does look like a nice knife. I carried a straight razor as a weopon for years and did fine with it, so the progression to razor sharp knives is natural to me. I was just raised with the mentality that a knife must be razor sharp.

Of course in a knife fights, the guy that gets slashed survives, the guy that gets stabbed does not. But, I have never gone into a fight with the intention of taking a life. What happens with a super sharp blade is blood squirts before the victim realizes he's been cut.

I have been stabbed and survived though.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:40 am

Not sure what a fighting edge is. To me anything with an edge is a fighting edge, except a serrated blade (meant for cutting rope and such). I know ex- law enforcement down here carry fillet knives as self defense knives.

I have heard bad things about cold steel; I still think it's the best knife I own. Kershaw is still a good knife. What happened there is places like Wal Mart started carrying them which lowered the price where cold steel has to be purchased at a gun store.

My last purchase was a tru lite or something like that from cold steel, and I'm already seeing cheap copies of it.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Glock23 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:05 pm

I have no personal experience with Cold Steel, their owner just puts a bad taste in my mouth. The blades look great though. I may have to check one out. The bad thing about a really sharp and thin blade, is the edge dulls faster, and chips and dents easier than a thicker knife that isn't quite as sharp. I keep an decent edge on mine using a dry Arkansas stone.

Texas, You are absolutely right about the box stores lowering the price on the bigger brand knives. I think Wal-mart is no longer carrying the Blur though, so that stinks. I know a lot of people the big stores, but I would rather pay 50% of the price, as I don't have a lot of cash to spend on these type of things.

My next knife will likely be an Emmerson, Kershaw or Benchmade. I may take a look at the cold-steels now too, it they get such a good grade from you!
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:22 pm

Glock23 wrote:
My next knife will likely be an Emmerson, Kershaw or Benchmade. I may take a look at the cold-steels now too, it they get such a good grade from you!

Benchmade is good too. I had a few that have either given away or lost. In fact, my ex wife took one that saved my life in Mexico when she split. What I liked about them was the thumb lever being easy to work with where I usually file some of the handle off to get my thumb in better (it adds speed to a knife).

Don't know much about Emmerson. And the blur, I went to a hardware store that has a gun section to look at it, so I don't know if target or wal mart would have one.

I see what you're saying about the blades being shipped off, but I just sharpen them til they even out and hone them. On a real bad knife I take a router to it. And remember, I run them through rods every day to keep that edge on them. You do have to be careful handing off your knife to someone who isn't used to that degree of sharpness, but I find that most gun/knife/survivalist down here keep theirs equally sharp.

Do me a favor, check out the Cold Steel Voyager. When you're looking at it, think about how much sharpening/honing it would take before you wore out that knife.

Actually, when I carried straight razors, I liked them kinda rusty and chipped. Tee hee!
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Glock23 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:31 pm

Actually, when I carried straight razors, I liked them kinda rusty and chipped. Tee hee!

If you don't finish 'em off with the wound, the infection will get to them!

I will take a look at the Voyager. I like to feel a blade in my hand before I buy, but I don't think anyone around here carries them. I will have to do some checking. Oh, and that Sig I was talking to you about is amazing! Even with cheap winchester ammo my groups were great!
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:43 pm

Glock23 wrote:

If you don't finish 'em off with the wound, the infection will get to them!

I will take a look at the Voyager. I like to feel a blade in my hand before I buy, but I don't think anyone around here carries them. I will have to do some checking. Oh, and that Sig I was talking to you about is amazing! Even with cheap winchester ammo my groups were great!

The voyager is my favorite model. They have all kinds of things now. I have one called the lobo. Now that one, I would be afraid of chipping the blade. They just came out with a AK-47 model, that I didnt care for, and a tru lite, which I've been carrying.

Still, I always reach for my voyagers.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mothrows » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:33 pm

I've almost decided to get a kershaw blur. The sandpaper grip reviews is the only thing that is scaring me off.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Previous

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.