Camping

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Camping

Postby Robbie » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:08 pm

Looking to buy some camping gear (tents and sleeping bags)

I need a 2-3 person tent and id like a coffin type sleeping bags. Any recommendations ? This is kind of a test run on camping to see if we really enjoy it so Id prefer to spend as least as possible..
Robbie
Noob

Postby domromer » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:50 pm

big agnes makes great sleeping bags.
I really like MSR Tents. Hubba hubba for 2 people and the Mutha Hubba for 3.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Re: Camping

Postby Solty » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:15 pm

Robbie wrote:Looking to buy some camping gear (tents and sleeping bags)

I need a 2-3 person tent and id like a coffin type sleeping bags. Any recommendations ? This is kind of a test run on camping to see if we really enjoy it so Id prefer to spend as least as possible..

walmart has ozark trail stuff...real cheap.....good for buying new stuff year after year....so yea...pretty cheap
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Robbie » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:02 pm

Is the Dicks Quest line better than the Ozark ? or same quality not too much more expensive.
Robbie
Noob

Postby pure_evil » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:45 am

Is the Dicks Quest line better than the Ozark ? or same quality not too much more expensive.

I have a Quest three season mummy bag (rated to 10 degrees I think)...great for the recreational camper. I think I paid $25 for it on sale...materials are cheap (low cost) but not bad...its a good starter bag. Not for the hardcore camper, but a good general sleeping bag, good if your new to camping.

As for tents, you can finds some really good deals on clearance at Walmart/Target, esp at end of season.
I got a 4 person (which is really only comfortable for 2 people) Coleman tent at Walmart for $30 on clearance. It has a nice deep tub and sealed seams. Kept me dry and happy many times. (Of course, I bought a Honda Element and sleep in that now when camping...I highly recommend it).

You really only need top-of-the-line gear if you are doing some long-term back country camping. If your a weekend camper like me, almost anything will do.
pure_evil
Noob

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:01 am

After having worked at an outdoors store for a little while, I guess I'm kind of a snob as far as gear is concerned. If you want the GOOD tents, then you'll be paying a lot for them, however there are still some brands that are relatively affordable that are extremely reliable and will last you a long time. Sierra Designs is my top choice, but also brands like Kelty, Marmot, and as Dom mentioned, MSR are good "bang for the buck" brands. Also, if you're looking at doing car camping instead of backpacking or something, Eureka makes pretty decent big tents. I've had a couple Wal-Mart variety tents before and had pretty good luck with them for the most part. Though, one camping trip I went on, I had my Sierra Designs tent (one of their bottom of the line models BTW) and another guy had a Wal-Mart special. During the night a huge rain/wind storm blew up. I made it through the night just fine, not a drop of water inside. The other guy...well, at some point during the night I heard a lot of commotion outside, was silently glad that it wasn't me, and went back to sleep. In the morning, I went out and saw that his tent had been completely rolled over (with him and a cooler (previously) full of ice water inside. His rainfly was nowhere to be seen, until we found it about 100 yds. away in a tree. He stayed in good spirits, but his tent was trashed and all his gear was soaked. Like I said, I've had decent luck with cheap tents before, but after seeing that fiasco, I'm sold on the higher quality ones. Just shop around for sales...the brands I mentioned are frequently marked down in lots of stores.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Robbie » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:20 pm

Thanks for all ya'lls advice. I probably will end up with the quest bags and whatever tent I can find on sale for now. I have no problem spending the extra money if I know this is something we will enjoy and do more than once.
Robbie
Noob

Postby steezo » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:49 am

Check out www.backcountry.com Outlet*
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby deaddisc » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:04 am

Robbie wrote:Thanks for all ya'lls advice. I probably will end up with the quest bags and whatever tent I can find on sale for now. I have no problem spending the extra money if I know this is something we will enjoy and do more than once.

I hope you guys have a great time. I know for me that Im so happy that I got my gf into camping because now we go at least 3-5 times a year, she even checks out new camping gear by herself! Also, I usually set up our camping trips so that we are near a disc golf course so we can get a round in. Ive found that campgrounds with lakes are especially good with the gf because if it gets too hot she can just go take a dip and cool off, besides the romantic effect of the moonlit lake.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Luckyg71 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:30 am

try steapandcheep.com. it sells camping and outdoors stuff one item at time for 60-70% off. Its hit or miss though, no telling what hey will have.
The road goes on forever and the party never ends
Luckyg71
Tree Magnet

Postby J2 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:43 am

www.campmor.com
have some pretty good deals.
J2
Noob

Postby plastic_fondler » Wed May 02, 2007 7:27 am

J2 wrote:www.campmor.com
have some pretty good deals.

has anyone ever visited campmor? Incredible to see everything popped up....and even worth the trip to paramus.
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.