Kegged my Brown Ale today...

Racking.

Carbonating.

Sooo much easier than bottling. :wink:
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby Terrence » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:21 pm

That's a pretty slick setup. If my brother and I get more serious about our brewing we might end up getting a kegging system. Since we work as a team, bottling isn't too much of a hassle. I fill while he caps, so It only takes about fifteen minutes. Of course it's still a PITA to sanitize 50 bottles.

So do you start drinking it right after it's carbonated, or does it still taste "green" for a couple weeks? My batches have taken about five weeks to peak in flavor and smoothness with bottle conditioning.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby zealot » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:24 pm

about how much overhead does it take to get that starteD? im interested in messing with brewing if its cheap enough.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Terrence » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:56 pm

My brother and I bought all of the equipment we needed and ingredients for a batch for ~$70. After that we drank a lot of Michigan microbrews, Bass, and Sam Adams to collect bottles for our own batch :twisted:
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby NoLifeLeft » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:08 pm

To anyone who was debating on the reason to do a secondary ferment... That one and a half inch layer of yeast crap in the bottom of the carboy is why. Getting rid of that makes the beer clearer and cleaner tasting. If you don't do a second ferment that goes right into your bottles(Mmmm). Thats only acceptable in a handfull of beer styles(Wit for example). And yes after the carbonaton takes hold it's good to drink.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:19 am

NoLifeLeft wrote:To anyone who was debating on the reason to do a secondary ferment... That one and a half inch layer of yeast crap in the bottom of the carboy is why. Getting rid of that makes the beer clearer and cleaner tasting. If you don't do a second ferment that goes right into your bottles(Mmmm). Thats only acceptable in a handfull of beer styles(Wit for example). And yes after the carbonaton takes hold it's good to drink.

I'm waiting for my tax rebate to get my kegging setup. I'm still having issues with my spare fridge not closing correctly. I may just buy a chest freezer.

I'm in the process of turning one of my bedrooms into a bar. Spent the weekend looking for neon signs and other bar paraphernalia. I kinda like bottling, so I intend to alternate bottling/kegging. One thing about bottling is I can never wait long enough to let the beer age. I'm hoping once I keg that I can forget the bottles for a few weeks.

Oh, the pictures didn't load for me.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.