What's wrong with people these days?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What's wrong with people these days?

Postby Donkeypuncher » Thu May 31, 2007 7:13 pm

I just finished a round at a local course that I haven't played before, and I had fun although I had to stop at hole 10 because it was super hot and I felt lightheaded. I cooled down in the car and then headed home on my 40 minute drive. 15 minutes from my house this red explorer starts riding my arse, like maybe 10' at the most and I was doing 70 which is 10 over the speed limit. I sped up to about 80 and then back down to 70, then he gets even closer but this time he's flipping me off and throwing up what I assume was gang signs. I was pissed at this point so I start slowing down to 60 thinking he would just get over and go around me.

I realized at this point they were going to try and do something, so I hit the gas and got in the right lane to exit the highway and let them be on their way. They speed up and get next to me right before the exit, then I see a black guy leaning out the window as they are about to pass me. Then BOOM, this idiot smashes a beer bottle on my side rear window. I have a 2 door so its a small 1/4 window, and he shattered a corona bottle on it. He was actually aiming at my head because my window was down but hit the window instead. The window didn't break, but I was pissed so I chased them down to the next exit and got their license plate number then gave them a few choice words as I passed.

There were 5 black guys in there telling me to pull over, waiting for me to stop so the could most likely jump me, or maybe kill me all together. They started chasing me back down the highway, and I hit about 130mph. They couldn't go that fast so I exited where I normally do and went straight for the police station. It happened in a different city so I had to go back to that police station to file a report. After sitting in there for 2 hours waiting for an officer to come out, I told them I dont have the time to sit there and it's very unprofessional to make me do so.

I've always been told to make a report, and not take it into my own hands. So that's what I do, and they treat my like some schmuck and tell me someone is on their way out ever 20 minutes.

I'm going to try and file a report tomorrow, but after seeing how they work I'm not sure if they will even do anything about it.

Sorry for the rant, but I've just about had it with the people around here. The same thing happened to a friend of mine, except there was a huge dent where the bottle hit. I've almost been jumped at least 5 times by wanna be ghetto kids around dallas, and it's just getting to the point where I might start carrying a gun. I'm seriously starting to fear for my life after all this crap. Okay I'm done now.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Thu May 31, 2007 11:47 pm

Some people's lives amount to so little that they really have absolutely nothing to lose by assaulting perfect strangers. If I were in your shoes I'd probably have gone well out of my way to avoid any interaction at all. Perhaps a horrific, flame-engulfed car crash or something equally painful awaits that carload of tough guys. If they look for trouble long enough I'm sure they'll find it.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Postby Donkeypuncher » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:39 am

It's not so much this incident in particular, but numerous times people have done things like this around me. One guy cut me off badly like he was mad at me or something. I had to swerve to miss him, then shook my head in disbelieve as I drove by. At the next light, he and his 4 friends jumped out of the car to try and fight me. Another time a guy almost hit me so I honked at him so he would notice he's about 5 feet in my lane. He jumped out of his car at the next light and his girlfriends was grabbing his arm to stop him. He told me to follow him so we could fight, which I thought was quite retarded.

My friends also had somebody throw a beer bottle at his car for honking at him when he drifted into his lane. He filed a police report, and they promptly did nothing about it.

People around here are crazy and seem to just fly off the handle over nothing. I wouldn't say this if it happened one time, but after the shit I've seen in the past 5 years I'm kinda scared at what people will do when they get road rage. Maybe it's just a texas thing, but it's getting pretty old and I don't know when somebody is going to do something worse like pull a gun.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:04 am

Donkeypuncher wrote:People around here are crazy and seem to just fly off the handle over nothing. I wouldn't say this if it happened one time, but after the shit I've seen in the past 5 years I'm kinda scared at what people will do when they get road rage. Maybe it's just a texas thing, but it's getting pretty old and I don't know when somebody is going to do something worse like pull a gun.

That's the thing. You can't tell by looking at people (people in a car anyway) who has nothing to lose by pulling out a weapon. People who get out of their cars and want to throw down over something as trivial as a lane change really have problems.

This planet has way too many of one particular species.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:09 am

I also almost forgot...you DO live in Texas. From what I understand, it's a nation unto itself and native Texans take everything personally.

BTW I never make generalizations. Nor do I ever speak in absolutes.
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Postby Glock23 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:51 am

That is why it is always nice to carry. :twisted: I almost hope someone tries to jump me in my car.

What is worse is when people get all pissed when you are on a bike. There isn't a whole lot you can do, except try to out run them.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby DanTaylor » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:21 am

This is why I drive a Dodger diesel. Mess with me and Ill run you over, plain and simple.

Sorry to hear about the ghetto boys messing with ya Donkey.
GorillaTactics wrote:the Wii disc golf game will lead to more shattered LCD TV's than baseball, bowling, and tennis combined.
DanTaylor
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Q Sent

Postby Blake_T » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:38 am

DP:

what you have explained is why most people end up fleeing to suburbia.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby steezo » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:14 am

I have to comment because I Iive in Texas and had lived in Dallas-Dallas can be crazy and some people are quick to rage on the highways-but-since things like this keep happening to you-I am curious to see how this pattern developed. There is no way 3, 4, 5, 6+ different times people unprovokely go to the extreme to thorw bottles, run you off the road, try and fight. The biggest thing in Texas is respect. You show it-you get it. Sorry but it sounds like something else might be going on-at least to me.
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby roadkill » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:35 pm

Maybe it's a Texas thing.

I've done a lot of driving in my time (average 70,000 miles/yr) in many cities as well as rural areas and while I've witnessed some insane shizzle I have never experienced anything like you described.

I think the best move would have been to dial 911 on a cell phone as all this was taking place. That way officers already on the road could've dispatched to your location as it was happening and the thugs could've been dealt with right there and right then. When it's reported after the fact police are much less helpful.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby steezo » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:59 pm

Also-if you ever need immediate assisant-tell the 911 operator that you are fearing for you life-that way you can shoot to kill 8)
Texas Man Law-
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby Hoey » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:56 pm

wow!
I'm glad that you made it out of the situation in one piece DP. I would love to hear how those [bleep] rationalize anything in their head. Blake's right, well all valid points here.
What was it again? 5 on 1? yup real men there.
I really hope the cops do something about it. Reckless Driving, DWI, Harrasment, and more? That'd be worth the trip.
To protect and serve right?

although I'm a glass is half empty kinda guy here.

Good luck.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby SkaBob » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:14 pm

I gotta say I'm curious how you drive if people are cutting you off that angrily that regularly... Are you driving in the left lane going below the speed limit, or something?

I'm always amazed at the stuff that happens with people in other cities...Here I am in Detroit, and I'm feeling like WE'RE the civilized ones! :shock:
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby roadkill » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:45 am

I just want to point out that the left lane is for passing only regardless of your speed. Too many people think the left lane is a "speeding lane" and if you're going 70 you can ride the left lane. Just last night I was doing 80 in the right lane because the traffic in the right lane allowed for it. If I'm doing 80 and not passing I move to the right for those doing 90+ and last night there were several cars that did pass me doing at least 90.

I don't know if this was the case with Donkeypuncher or not, but riding the left lane and not passing is a sure way to get people super POed including me. Pass and then move over. I've seen so many people ride the left lane for miles in their own little world and seem oblivious to the hazard and inconvenience they have become.
Last edited by roadkill on Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:19 am

roadkill wrote:I just want to point out that the left lane is for passing only regardless of your speed. Too many people think the left lane is a "speeding lane" and if you're going 70 you can ride the left lane. Just last night I was doing 80 in the right lane because the traffic in the right lane allowed for it. If I'm doing 80 and not passing I move to the right for those doing 90+ and last night there were several cars that did pass me doing at least 90.

I don't know if this was the case with Donkeypuncher or not, but riding the left lane and not passing is a sure way to get people super pissed including me. Pass and then move over. I've seen so many people ride the left lane for miles in their own little world and seem oblivious to the hazard and inconvenience they have become.

yeah, cops around here actually have started ticketing ppl for riding in the left lane.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.