What's wrong with people these days?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby black udder » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:36 pm

man...i would not want to be in that situation. Glad you came out okay.

I'd recommend the 911 on the cell phone during any incident. If somebody was tailing you too closely and you change lanes and they follow you. Dial 911. You never know - always better safe than in the morgue.

As for the police, there really isn't much they can do. There is zero evidence other than an eye witness report. No damage to report and no other witnesses, so it's your word against theirs. No charges would stick, so it's essentially a waste of time for the police unless there is some other felony associated with the vehicle.

If the police come up while it's going on, they are a witness to the moving violation and any incidents. It might just get rid of the guys, too.

I watched Idiocracy recently and it seems more and more plausible when you hear of incidents like yours.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:41 pm

black udder wrote:I watched Idiocracy recently and it seems more and more plausible when you hear of incidents like yours.

I am just glad i wont be alive in 500 years. . .
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:19 pm

Glock23 wrote:That is why it is always nice to carry. :twisted: I almost hope someone tries to jump me in my car.

What is worse is when people get all pissed when you are on a bike. There isn't a whole lot you can do, except try to out run them.

Glock beat me to it; despite being "a Nation of our own" or whatever was said, you are blessed to live in the Greatest state in the Union, which allows you to carry a concealed firearm. My recommendation is never play in Texas without a firearm, ESPECIALLY Dallas.

Your experience is almost an exact copy of stuff that has happened to me, except that I pulled over and unholstered my firearm. Don't let people convince you that you will have to shoot someone as I never have had to. Most the time they get back in their car and leave. I haven't been in a fist fight since I got my license. And if you are protecting life, you are legal to use deadly force.

I just had a lady friend of mine ask to talk to me last week. Her son (short hispanic fella) that has moved to Houston got pulled out of his vehicle by what she described as 2 six foot six Black guys and land him in the hospital: broken nose cheek bone, etc. The dad was distraught and in tears when he heard. Unfortunately, stuff like that happens (though he should of driven right to a police station and never stopped). I suggested the same thing I did to you, and her reply was that he would of been in jail instead than the hospital...not necessarily. about the only time you have to shoot is when your opponent has a gun. Also...
...12 jurors is better than 6 pall bearers...
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:30 pm

Also don't blame yourself. Unless you live in white color Conn. or somewhere similar, you face situations such as this without initiating them. If they were gang members, then that was the reason, nothing else than gang bull crap.

One other suggestion, if you drink while you disc, you may want to lay off. That's one of the reasons I dont drink anymore while I play; it gives me the upper hand to be the sober one if something happens in or near a disc golf park.

As for the cops, unless they show up while you are in trouble (they never do), they are worthless and look down their nose at you. I was told by P.D. here that their job was to protect the "greater" good. In other words, they didnt give a damned what happened to a private citizen.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:14 pm

wouldnt you worry at all about the guys who were violent enough to smash a bottle on your car to be carrying themselves?
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:11 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:wouldnt you worry at all about the guys who were violent enough to smash a bottle on your car to be carrying themselves?

I used to worry about such things. One indication that they are not carrying is they will always be in greater numbers than you. Also, they probably have a police record which means they would be unable to obtain a license (which means nothing actually).

In a recent situation, I had a guy call me out. He had a houseful of men watching me through the window. According to him, there were 12 friends in the house in case I got the upper hand. I knew they were probably armed; I was more worried about being sniped. So I took my 10mm revolver that I keep in the car and tucked in into the waist band of my jeans. I told him that they may get me, but 6 of you will die. He gave them some signal and went back into the house leaving me to get into my car and drive away.

Also, if there's a chance people like that have guns, wouldn't you want to have one yourself? What's that old saying: if there's guns in the house, one better be yours.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:58 pm

wtf you guys are into some serious violent shit. I've been doing delivery jobs for the past 8 years and have never had any shit like that happen. Maybe some people just attract trouble. not to piss anyone off but I know a few people who always are carrying guns. They act diffirenent. Like they are tough it just seems to attract trouble.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby garublador » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:27 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:
black udder wrote:I watched Idiocracy recently and it seems more and more plausible when you hear of incidents like yours.

I am just glad i wont be alive in 500 years. . .

I don't know, it might be worth it for the Starbucks.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:53 am

The perception that things happen to good people because they deserve it is false. Unfortunately, there are bad factors in the world. Nor does carrying a weapon change who you are. If you were a good citizen before, you are still one after owning/carrying, and vice versa.

In my experience, gun control advocates usually change their philosophy when something happens to them or their loved ones. Of course you can do much to prevent such episodes by the places you frequent, but who wants to live their lives on a leash?

Having said that, I have put myself through college, and when I bought my house, I chose it based on the neighborhood. Last Friday there was a shooting at the place where I grew up; good thing I was able to move up in the world.

The "you had it coming" philosophy does much to keep people from doing something about the bad things in their society. Once again, you did nothing wrong, you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Perhaps they didn't like the Discraft sticker you had on your car.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:11 am

Damn, I'm sure glad that I don't live in Texas!

I think that it is fun to calibrate firearms or to hunt but I would never carry a firearm. I work in Baltimore city in live in surrounding suburbs and have never ever been in a situation that I think I would have benefited from having a weapon. I've delt with minor heckling and the like as everyone has but i feel that i can talk myself out of most hostile situations without violence. If something wack does go down at least i know that i didn't do anything wrong and just got caught up in some BS.

Glock23 wrote:
That is why it is always nice to carry. I almost hope someone tries to jump me in my car.

What is worse is when people get all pissed when you are on a bike. There isn't a whole lot you can do, except try to out run them.

I found this post particuarly disturbing
I hope your kidding :shock:
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby IowaDiscGolf » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:15 am

TexasOutlaw wrote:
Thatdirtykid wrote:wouldnt you worry at all about the guys who were violent enough to smash a bottle on your car to be carrying themselves?

I knew they were probably armed; I was more worried about being sniped. So I took my 10mm revolver that I keep in the car and tucked in into the waist band of my jeans. I told him that they may get me, but 6 of you will die. He gave them some signal and went back into the house leaving me to get into my car and drive away.

Also, if there's a chance people like that have guns, wouldn't you want to have one yourself? What's that old saying: if there's guns in the house, one better be yours.

Is this a movie you're describing, or do things like this actually go down as described in your life? Sounds like Dirty Harry.

I would like to be armed if I ran into a bunch of armed troublemakers, yes. The thing is, hopefully it's a moot point because I'll go out of my way to avoid them in the first place, rather than obliging them when they "call me out."
IowaDiscGolf
2008 DGR Donator

Postby SkaBob » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:12 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:despite being "a Nation of our own" or whatever was said, you are blessed to live in the Greatest state in the Union, which allows you to carry a concealed firearm.

TexasOutlaw wrote:Unless you live in white color Conn. or somewhere similar, you face situations such as this without initiating them.

TexasOutlaw wrote:they probably have a police record

I'm embarassed that remarks like these are being said by my own countryman, no less someone representing the disc golf community.

I don't know what kind of environment you think you're producing in the "greatest state in the union" (incidentally, you should've paid better attention in school - Texas wasn't part of the Union), but up here in Detroit where the crime rate makes you look like a catholic school, you learn just how inappropriate it is to mouth off like this, especially in an environment where children may hear it and take it as valid teachings. It's no better than gang bangers glorifying their lifestyle, and arguably worse because there's nowhere near as much of a stigma attached with being from Texas as there is with being a gang banger, which only makes it easier for children and the less informed to confuse the issue.

Incidentally, 48 states have at least some form of concealed carry with almost all of them listed as Shall-issue states for CCWs.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:39 pm

SkaBob wrote:
TexasOutlaw wrote:despite being "a Nation of our own" or whatever was said, you are blessed to live in the Greatest state in the Union, which allows you to carry a concealed firearm.

TexasOutlaw wrote:Unless you live in white color Conn. or somewhere similar, you face situations such as this without initiating them.

I'm embarassed that remarks as ignorant and racist as these are being said by my own countryman, no less someone representing the disc golf community.

I don't know what kind of environment you think you're producing in the "greatest state in the union" (incidentally, you should've paid better attention in school - Texas wasn't part of the Union), but up here in Detroit where the crime rate makes you look like a catholic school, you learn just how inappropriate it is to mouth off like this, especially in an environment where children may hear it and take it as valid teachings. It's no better than gang bangers glorifying their lifestyle, and arguably worse because there's nowhere near as much of a stigma attached with being from Texas as there is with being a gang banger, which only makes it easier for children and the less informed to confuse the issue.

Incidentally, 48 states have at least some form of concealed carry with almost all of them listed as Shall-issue states for CCWs.

Racist? Well, here in Texas it is a crime to throw bottles at other motorist, and if caught, you have a record. Also, I do not represent you, not would care to do so. As far as the history lesson, no I did not double check my facts. I suppose I can take my history books off the shelf.

As for the rest of the statement, I got bored and quit reading. I am going to help the neighbor move some furniture now, or would that be racist? I guess not since they haven't thrown any bottles at me.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:41 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:
SkaBob wrote:

I'm embarassed that remarks as ignorant and racist as these are being said by my own countryman, no less someone representing the disc golf community.

Racist? Well, here in Texas it is a crime to throw bottles at other motorist, and if caught, you have a record. Also, I do not represent you, not would care to do so. As far as the history lesson, no I did not double check my facts. I suppose I can take my history books off the shelf.

As for the rest of the statement, I got bored and quit reading. I am going to help the neighbor move some furniture now, or would that be racist? I guess not since they haven't thrown any bottles at me.

Actually, where I typed white color, I meant white collar. But as has been pointed out, I'm not an academic whiz. I apologize to my teacher past and present.

I know this will sound like an insult, but I showed this to a co-worker, and his reply was hilarious: "you would be angry too if you were from detroit." Now that's funny. Or as the kids say that's LOL
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby SkaBob » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:55 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:here in Texas it is a crime to throw bottles at other motorist, and if caught, you have a record.

Sure, if you've been arrested, charged, and convicted. You assume that they have why, exactly?

TexasOutlaw wrote:Also, I do not represent you, not would care to do so.

No, you don't represent me. We are polar opposites, apparently. You do however speak this way on a public forum for the discussion of disc golf, and as such your words are perceived as those of someone among the disc golf community. People's perception of our community as a whole, including your remarks, mine, and everyone else's who plays our sport or talks about it while not playing, are representations people will take with them of how the disc golf community behaves, and the opinions they form will become the deciding factor on putting in new courses, or pulling old ones. It's just like people around the world assuming all Americans are gun happy, war mongering, spoiled cowboys... We're not, but the actions of a few speak louder than the polite silence of thousands.

TexasOutlaw wrote:I know this will sound like an insult, but I showed this to a co-worker, and his reply was hilarious: "you would be angry too if you were from detroit." Now that's funny. Or as the kids say that's LOL

I suppose it's funny if it makes sense to you...To me it just sounds like one of those "I'm rubber, you're glue" retorts kids used on the playground...There's plenty to be proud of about living in Detroit, just like there is anywhere else. I can't imagine what your co-worker would've been insinuating with that, but I'd probably laugh more at his reasons for saying it than what he said in itself...
Last edited by SkaBob on Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.