POLISH Horseshoes or CARNIE horseshoes,Have you played this?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

POLISH Horseshoes or CARNIE horseshoes,Have you played this?

Postby agelessmind » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:05 am

[color=green]
I recently played an interesting adaptation of horseshoes at a backyard party.
Here it is:

(2) Tiki Torches, approx. 3-4 meters apart, Remove the candle aspect from the orch.
Place one beer coaster on top of each torch pole.
Place on top of the coaster an empty beer bottle.
(2) people stand on each side. (1) person from each side throws a Frisbee toward the Tiki torch trying to hit the pole and knock off the bottle, or hit the bottle directly.
If its a hit or miss, this process is continued, (1) person, (1) throw at a time per side.
If the pole is hit, and the bottle hits the ground, the hitting team gets (1) point.
If the bottle is caught by the defense, no points are scored.
If the bottle is hit directly, and hits the ground (3) points are given. If the bottle is caught by the defense, only (2) points are scored.
The first team to 15 points wins.
Final Rule: A drink must occupy at least one hand of every player throughout the entirety of the game. (this guarantees some sort of challenge, depending on the accuracy of the players)

The name of this game is still under contention. The person who introduced it to us claims he played it a kegger once and he was told it was called
"POLISH Horseshoes"
Another person at our party said that this could not be right. Coming from a polish upbringing, she claimed "POLISH Horseshoes" involves a game with balls that are tied to strings and are thrown at a stand of some sort in the attempt to wrap the string around the stand.
We in turn have claimed it in honor of "THE CARNIE'S DISCGOLF".
Carnie's, you know, the slightly redneckish masses who entertain us with the some what questionable and most likely rigged parlor games at the Carnival.
We thought this was a godd representaion for all parties involved.

Has anyone played this game or one like it?

Does anyone know what is called or have any good ideas for a name?

If you haven't tried it, you should. The best art is seeing who's willing to take a dive to save a point. You have to commit sometimes.

A word to the wise though.... there is a present chance of injury and/or inebriation. Play with caution. HAVE FUN!

agelessmind
agelessmind
Noob

Postby J2 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:33 am

ive played this before in maine, and i believe my roomates play this quite often.
they call it polish horeshoes as well
J2
Noob

here are some links to what I have found online

Postby agelessmind » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:38 am

Polish Horseshoes

http://members.tripod.com/cozaded/id26.htm

http://www.polishhorseshoes.com/

Neither game is close to what I have described.

Regardless, its a pretty fun game right?
agelessmind
Noob

Postby MDR_3000 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:11 am

We just call it "cups".

We just have to plastic cups on two stakes. The stakes are just far enough to fit an ultimate disc through.

Drink in one hand.
2 points if you can pure the gap.
1 point for every cup you get to hit the ground.
I don't remember if we gave points for catching.
Must be a clean catch, and no trapping.

First to 15 wins.
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:16 pm

I made a post about this same kind of game earlier in the year, when the weather was starting to become more accommodating. Just did a quick look for it, but couldn't find it....basically the same as the game you described. I only played it once, and managed to get pretty drunk while doing so, so my recollection of the exact rules is kind of foggy.

In the version I played, it was at the beach and we just used whatever sticks we could find (I think one of them was a tiki torch though). They were more like 10m apart though. And the scoring seemed similar, but I think we also integrated "drinks" into it...and I think you could reverse the drinks on people. For example, if you knocked the can off the pole, that was a point for your team and the other team had to take a drink. If the other team caught the can though, then YOUR team had to drink. I think as far as the points go though, if the can was caught, it nullified any points made, regardless if it hit the pole or can (we had to use cans and not bottles since we were on the beach).

As far as what the game was actually called, nobody really knew, but the guy that introduced it to us called it "Hippie Horseshoes", just b/c he didn't know what it was called and that seemed like a good name to him. :D Definitely a fun game though, would love to play it again.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.