UFC

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Eric O » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:12 am

I didn't see this thread the other day before the fights. I had Diaz and Penn to win. ;)

I think Lauzon would have made the finals if he was not fighting on the show with several injuries. I wanted to see a Diaz vs Lauzon final.

Rudy Valentino from bjpenn.com: "A lot of the real behind the scenes stuff like Joe Lauzon coming in with a fractured hand or having a chipped bone in his elbow after one of his fights were not made known. He went into that fight with Manny with three injuries that I normally wouldn't let guys fight with..."

Man what a horrible fight between Manny and Nate. Manny totally had the first round but then in the second round he totally messed up his shoulder, which he had hurt previously. I don't think Nate should get the contract and all that other crap that came with it. Hell, the guy couldn't even put a sentence together when he was talking with Joe after the fight.
That fight was kind of weak because of the injury, but Diaz is probably the better fighter anyway so I think he deserves the contract. Not the most articulate guy but I'd want him on my side in a brawl or a war.

I also thought the no contest was weak. Maynard dominated that fight and Emerson tapped. What does it really matter that Maynard dizzied himself on the takedown other than to illustrate how hard a slam it really was.

The headliner went down pretty much like most people probably expected. Penn was businesslike about controlling the fight till he could lock down a submission. Hopefully this will get him going for some good fights in the near future cause it's amazing to watch this guy work.

Nice list there chris86. Fedor and Wanderlei are great fighters to watch. I've also been a huge fan of Quentin Jackson ever since seeing him pick up Ricardo Arona over his head and KO him with a slam to get out of a triangle choke. Also how bout Mirko Cro Cop. "Right leg, hospital. Left leg, cemetery."
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby deaddisc » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:08 pm

Eric O wrote:Nice list there chris86. Fedor and Wanderlei are great fighters to watch. I've also been a huge fan of Quentin Jackson ever since seeing him pick up Ricardo Arona over his head and KO him with a slam to get out of a triangle choke. Also how bout Mirko Cro Cop. "Right leg, hospital. Left leg, cemetery."

Id have to put Vandelay Silva on that list of entertaining/devastating fighters too. Love to watch that guy work out of the Thai clinch and crush people with his knees.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby chris86wm » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:21 am

So how many of you guys are waiting for 73 aka Stacked?
Anderson Silva vs. Nathan Marquardt
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Heath Herring
Tito Ortiz vs. Rashad Evans
Sean Sherk vs. Hermes Franca
Kenny Florian vs. Alvin Robinson

Pretty darn good card they have there.
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Postby Eric O » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:38 am

Ortiz vs Evans should be interesting. Not sure if it will be $40 interesting or not. Probably buy it if I can get a few others to pitch in.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ferretdance03 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:55 am

Eric O wrote:Ortiz vs Evans should be interesting. Not sure if it will be $40 interesting or not. Probably buy it if I can get a few others to pitch in.

That's what we usually do. $5 a head and the host makes some grub. I usually host because I get the fights for $20 and no one else makes good wings.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby chris86wm » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:25 pm

There are ways to get these events live and for free...... pm me if you want details :twisted:

Every fight on that card looks interesting, but I am most looking forward to Nogueira's UFC debut.
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Postby Eric O » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:36 am

Nogueira's fight was good. I couldn't believe Herring didn't finish him when he had him stunned, but after about a minute and a half into the second round you could tell he was able to recover and would probably take the fight.

Sherk was going nuts with the takedowns and guard passing, and owned Franca pretty much the whole fight. I was a little surprised at first that Franca didn't put up more of a defense. On the other hand it was a little disappointing that Sherk could never rain finishing blows from the mount. He should watch tape of the Hughes vs Penn fight. ;)

The Ortiz-Evans draw was weak. Ortiz went for every shorts grab, groin kick and cage holding possible, so I was not in the least surprised when the ref took a point. It looked like Evans was finally figuring out how to fight Ortiz in the last 30 sec or so of the last round, and might have even gotten a ref stoppage TKO if he had another 10-15 sec.

Anderson Silva just plain impresses. Can they find a guy to give him a real challenge? I thought he looked like he was just warming up in this one.

Looking forward to both heavyweight and light-heavyweight title fights coming up.

Fox Sports runs Pride fighting highlights shows sunday. Yesterday for the 1st time I caught the Diaz vs Takanori Gomi fight where Diaz takes it in the second round with some crazy choke called a gogoplata. It is basically a choke from the guard levering the opponent's neck over your shin. One of the coolest things I've seen. Up until Gomi took it to the ground, Diaz was peppering him with jabs, hooks and uppercuts the entire fight. Too bad he was later dq'd for testing positive for herb. :roll:
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Eric O » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:51 am

I did feel it was kind of a rip-off that they only put 5 of the fights on the PPV.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Donkeypuncher » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:27 am

Eric O wrote:Yesterday for the 1st time I caught the Diaz vs Takanori Gomi fight where Diaz takes it in the second round with some crazy choke called a gogoplata.

I watched that last night as well. That was one of the best fights I've seen in pride, it was a slobberknocker. Diaz was hurt, and pulled that move out of thin air. I thought he was gonna pull the old rubber guard, then he slapped the gogoplata before the guy realized he was on the ground.

I agree with you about most of the fights, and yes tito was fighting dirty. I like tito as a coach, but I hate him as fighter. I agree silva is good, but I really dislike him. I think the ufc tossed him some no name fighter as a tune up or to make some quick cash. It seems every other champ has to fight the best of their class one after the other, maybe there was a last minute change or something.

I'm glad I didn't have to pay for this one, I would feel a little cheated. Usually we get to see some really good fights after the main ones, but they didn't show 1 this time. Hell, we didn't even get to see every fight on the actual card. There were some good fights on this one, and one was the submission of the night. But I guess you just don't get what you pay for anymore. Maybe if they didn't waste an hour before the first fight, we could see all of them. They used to show them all, but I guess they want to save some unseen fights to show on ufc unleashed just to squeeze out some more quick cash.

The next 2 ufc events are going to be awesome. The few fights they have listed are going to be great fights. Rampage better watch out, because dan henderson is a bad man. I just wish they would let matt serra fight so the belt can get moved around a little more.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jmammo » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:31 pm

I totaly forgot about the fight this weekend. :cry:
Buy the ticket, take the ride

Too weird to live, to rare to die

You are my one and only Chicagooo
To dream in RED, to dream in WHITE
For you we all shout into the night
jmammo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Previous

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.