Does anyone have a modded xbox?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Does anyone have a modded xbox?

Postby Donkeypuncher » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:41 am

I've had my xbox for a few years, but I never got into modding it since you had to open it up and put a chip in and solder wires. Then I read about software mods that did the same thing as the chips. I went out and bought the original splinter cell for $2 which is needed for the mod, and action replay for $20.

Once you do that you can play burned games that are available for download online. I've downloaded about 10 games so far and they all work. It even allows you to play PAL games without any problems. You can back up all your games via FTP to your pc in case the disc gets damaged. I haven't explored all the options, but I know you can run emulators for every other console and I'm sure there are other features that I have yet to read up on.

If you haven't done it yet, then you might want to check into it because it rocks.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Eric O » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:09 am

They came out with a 2nd generation chip that you don't have to do any soldering to install. I put one in just before Halo 2 was released so I could get the french bootleg version on my X-Box hard drive. The guy who turned me onto it has pretty much every game they released for the console backed up on disc.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby AciDBatH666 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:27 am

My buddy used to.
The software modding requires that you have a certain run of the Xboxes produced before a certain date.
I believe a copy of Mechassault or Mechwarrior is needed to get the glitch to allow you to gain access into it to actually reprogram it or whatever.

When the Halo2 French beta was leaked, my buddy modded 4 of our boxes temporarily, and we had a lan party with about 12 ppl, and 9 of em had no idea that we were gonna be playin Halo2 that night. Lol. was fun.
We let him mod ours because they were the older ones and were capable of it, but also because you can deinstall and unmod all the stuff after. Still letting you play on Xbox Live. Which is what we were concerned about. Because Modded boxes disabled online access, or basically they'd track it and ban your account.

I didn't really do any of it, but my friend read several books on it and really got into it. I'm sure if you looked you could find the books online for just a few bucks and learn all the ins and outs. From what my bud said, there were a few different ways to go about modding it, the Mechassault or whatever one was the one we used because our boxes were from the original lineup of the first ones, and had the easiest operating system to hack into.
Last edited by AciDBatH666 on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby chris86wm » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:28 am

I've been running a softmod in my box for about 3 years and I love it. I dont play many burned xbox games on there but I have a disc that has every NES, SNES, Atari, and Genesis game on it so I play the heck out of that. Also Xbox Media Center (XBMC) is the coolest thing ever. I use it all the time to stream movies or watch sports games using sopcast that have been blacked out or arent shown in my area.

I will be keeping my xbox for a LONG time.

AciDBatH666 wrote:Me and some friends used to.
The software modding requires that you have a certain run of the Xboxes produced before a certain date.

actually EVERY xbox version works and has worked for quite some time. there are even mods now that can be enabled and disabled easily to allow xbox live gameplay.

www.xbox-scene.com for anyone thats interested
chris86wm
Tree Magnet

Postby Eric O » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:06 pm

My chip has an on/off switch for use on x-box live. It is inside the case though. :/
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Donkeypuncher » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:22 pm

Yeah I think it's splinter cell, 007, and mechassault that you can do the game save glitch on. The only reason I wanted to mod it was to play burned games. I have all the eumulators on my pc, but I think I'm gonna try them on the xbox since some of them like to freeze up on me. I already hooked up my tv to my pc to stream movies and whatnot, so the dvd functions on the softmod aren't really necessary for me.

I used the ndure installer, and I'm running unleashedx. I kept reading that pal won't work without changing setting and some other crap, but so far every one of them has worked for me. It seems they have softmods that work for the newer xbox consoles but I'm not sure if it's all the same.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby iowapat » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:34 am

chris86wm wrote:...but I have a disc that has every NES, SNES, Atari, and Genesis game on it so I play the heck out of that.

what I meant...is there a way to rum emus on a non-mod'd xbox?
iowapat
Tree Magnet

Postby redspexxx » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:05 am

iowapat wrote:
what I meant...is there a way to rum emus on a non-mod'd xbox?

doubt it, i've never actually tried so i cant say for sure. its not hard to flash mod, and the old xbox is pretty much a cheap ass computer when its not strictly an xbox anymore. i would say to anyone who's xbox is sitting in a closet gathering dust untill your 360 breaks, mod it. flash mod is the most surefire way to get it done without bricking the system, but the chips have on/off switches sometimes. but never having to pay for xbox games again is whats making me look into doing it to my old 360 when i go buy an ELEITEZOMGLOLZAMILEET for the hdmi port... :roll:
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Donkeypuncher » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:01 pm

The only way to run any of that stuff is to softmod or chip it. The xbox won't even read the disc, unless it's music. I used an auto installer because I'm a newb to modding, but it worked perfect for what I wanted to do.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:17 am

AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Donkeypuncher » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:17 pm

Just thought I would give a little update. I had to swap my xbox with my friends because lightning hit my house and blew the ethernet card on mine. I put XBMC (xbox media center) on there so I can play dvd's and pretty much any video format you could think of.

2 days ago I read about streaming media from my pc to the xbox via my router. Now I can browse my pc hard drive through my xbox and just play whatever movies I have. If I only had an hdtv I could stream hd content as well.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.