Garnett

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Garnett

Postby Eric O » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:50 pm

What do you Minnesota guys think of how this deal works out for the TWolves?
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby deaddisc » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:58 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo
The Celtics have become relevant again!! Hopefully we can get it done in the next few years though, kinda sold away the future for a shot at a weak eastern conference.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby black udder » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:22 pm

Doomed. Celtics are trading all their future talent for a shot now. If they make it, great, but if they don't do it in 2 years, those guys are toast. They'll have no bench and no talent for down the line. Pierce was out a significant amount of time last year and Allen is coming of surgery. Pierce is 30 and Allen 32. If you're gonna bet the franchise on a player, do it with somebody young so they'll be around. Yes, I see the irony in this statement as it's what the TWolves did with Garnett - however, they never put a good team around him. The Cavs did it, the Lakers did it, the Bulls did it - all with success in the last couple decades. Just not much luck for the TWolves. Garnett's whopping greed (salary) didn't help them. Hamstringing them for years and preventing them from being able to bring in any significant talent to help him.

Wolves will get a ton of talent that they can cherry pick from and probably trade for an A list player - just not a name like Garnett.

I bet the TWolves are better in 2 years that the Celtics and I predict that the Celtics don't do what they hope because they're purchasing team talent, not building team chemistry.

Last prediction is Garnett ends up one of those late 30's players looking to land on a team like the Spurs or Heat for minimum wage hoping that he can land a title on their coat tails.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Blake_T » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:46 pm

just saw this thread tonight...

the wolves got the best deal they could barring a trade for lesser players with equally crippling contracts.

i give the wolves 4-8 years before they can really make the playoffs as contenders. now they have young talent, but there are other teams with better young talent.

they still owe the clippers a 1st round pick and they still have 3-4 bad long term contracts (mark blount, marko jaric, trenton hassell, etc.) that have little to no trade value.

they went from being heavy at the 1, to overstocked at the 2/3 and undersized 4.

my biggest concern now is with garnett going, whether or not they regret not drafting brandan wright or al thornton now instead of corey brewer. for a team that struggles putting points on the board, i'm curious as to the brewer choice. well, i'm still curious on the foye vs. roy trade as well :P

i still think the wolves are one serious move away from contending. it's yet to be determined the key factor they will be missing, but it will be apparent ~20 games in. i believe it will have to do with stagnant offense and inability to create shots. a true creating point guard that can slash the lane and dish comes to mind...

garnett has finally found his niche. 3rd option. as long as he can put up 11+ boards per night (at least 4 on offense) he will flourish picking up garbage buckets and open shots on ball rotations as well as mismatched 1 on 1 baseline posts. key for him will be being able to anticipate the different types of rebounds that will happen from pierce's shots vs. allen's shots. pierce leaves lots of long rebounds, allen has more vertical bounces.

i'm wagering his numbers this year will be ~19 points 11 rebounds 6 assists. i also have the feeling that pierce, allen, and garnett will age a lot this year if they all end up playing 39+ minutes a game.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Hoey » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:28 am

Well I hope they win it then. I think the Celtics are 5-1 odds this year. We really haven't had much going for us either the past.... well, few four years I think.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby Blake_T » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:38 pm

heh

yah, the celtics 952 championships vs. the t-wolves 0.

unless the celtics go all the way and win, the only debate this trade will really solve is who's a worse GM, mchale or ainge.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby deaddisc » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:42 pm

Blake_T wrote:heh

yah, the celtics 952 championships vs. the t-wolves 0.

unless the celtics go all the way and win, the only debate this trade will really solve is who's a worse GM, mchale or ainge.

Or which GM will be fired first. DANNYYY! DANNNYYY!
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Hoey » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:48 am

Blake_T wrote:unless the celtics go all the way and win, the only debate this trade will really solve is who's a worse GM, mchale or ainge.

good point
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.