Music

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Music

Postby Blake_T » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:25 am

I just built an mp3 jukebox for my stereo rack (amd athlon 1100 w/ a 160gb hdd and a wireless keyboard/mouse that goes through my tv/receiver).

in the process of re-mp3ing all my cd's/records/tapes at 192kbps. i am currently at ~785 albums ripped with about 500 to go. (i had them all ripped at 128kbps back in the era of smaller hdd's).

for those that don't know me well, music has been a passion of mine (much more than disc golf) throughout my life. unfortunately, a car accident i sustained in 1999 partially crippled my forearms causing tendon/nerve damage and basically crippled my guitar playing ability.

i currently own 10 guitars (6 electrics, 3 acoustics, 1 electric bass) and a few tube amps. i played in 13 bands from 1994-2002 doing rhyhtm guitar, lead guitar, bass, drums, guitar/vocals, and a stint as a solo acoustic act. have been to over 500 concerts over that time as well.

i'm huge on independent music of various genres and used to host a (now defunct) sunny day real estate website that had ~80,000 hits when i quit updating it.

was curious if there's any readers here that have similar tastes.

here's some of my favorite bands nerdlinger reduced into overly-specified genres (if anyone knows at least 1/3 of these bands i'll be impressed):

old school alternative (1980's): pixies, volcano suns, sonic youth, mudhoney

old school hardcore (1980's): husker du, embrace, rites of spring, dead kennedys

early/mid 90's indie rock: sebadoh, archers of loaf, sunny day real estate, pavement, superchunk, velocity girl, spent, polvo, hum, built to spill, small 23, castor, rachel's, mock orange, seaweed, tullycraft

early/mid 90's post-core: fugazi, june of 44, metroschifter, shellac, unwound, jawbox, craw, thirty ought six, crownhate ruin, sonora pine, rodan, vehicle birth, shotmaker, clikitat ikatowi

math rock: don caballero, pele, dianogah, hella, ent, man or astroman?, slint, bozart

newer indie rock: a day in black and white, faraquet, medications, modest mouse, party of helicopters, swords project, colossal, godspeed you black emporer, north of america

emo-core (w/ hardcore screaming): still life, current, portrait, saetia, hot cross, four hundred years, forstella ford, closure, grade, amber inn, anasarca, joshua fit for battle, off minor, sleepytime trio, chino horde, indian summer, breakwater.

emo-core (non-scream): braid, cap'n jazz, mineral, appleseed cast, cursive, compound red, rainer maria, jazz june, ethel meserve, low end theory, cross my heart, american football, owen, very secretary, hot water music, under a dying sun, one am radio, pilot to gunner, boys life, giants chair, bright calm blue

hardcore/metal-core: botch, converge, dillinger escape plan, to dream of autumn, frail, groundwork, red scare, you and i, love like electrocution
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TheUberDork » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:41 am

Good solid list personally i would just have to add a few bands in. Although seeing Mock Orange in your list was great. I had the chance to play a couple shows with them a couple years ago.

My additions would be.
Screaching Teens
Black Flag
The Walment
Ted Leo
Last Days of April
At the Drive-In
Lough
Planes Mistaken for Stars

After reading your list those are the only things i seen missing. You hit most of my favorites. Glad there is someone else out there with similiar tastes
TheUberDork
Noob

Postby Solty » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:29 am

did you use any special software for the jukebox. i've been contemplating on doing something with a touch screen LCD. I currently have my songs on a 300GB dump drive and was going to use the LCD computer as a host and transmit everything via the network.

let me know yer thoughts

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Blake_T » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:07 pm

i'm familiar with all of that list but two. there's a lot of bands out there that i think are important, but never really struck a chord with me.

i think PMFS entered my life about 18 months too late to really make a splash. they are a great intro to scream band with their older stuff. however, 400 years hit in ~1998 with transmit failure and managed to steal the honors in that regard. at the drive-in's singer always bugged me, but i do dig sparta and hella.

the 80's stuff is tough because i recognize the importance of bands without really digging lots of their music. e.g. black flag, the minutemen, mission of burma, big black, the replacements, the wedding present, unrest, uncle tupelo, etc.

most genres have stuff like that for me. texas is the reason, christie front drive, sense field, and jimmy eat world in the early 3rd gen emo scene i never really took to.

there's also tons of bands that i left off those lists that at some time had an album that rocked my world but in hindsight (and even then) i recognized it wasn't great stuff. other bands rocked my world and then go so crappy that i won't list them in fear of people mistaking that maybe i liked the latter. e.g. the promise ring (up through nothing feels good), the get up kids (huey prodhoun 7" era), the first dashboard confessional ep, etc.

the one thing i'm proud of is that i don't have any albums that i'm ashamed to have seen by others. my favorite is busting out some dig and having a 1993 flashback.

the one thing i'm glad about is that i always seemed to hit the new stuff exactly when i was primed for it... very few people seem to really understand that hearing the promise ring's "everywhere in denver," braid's "jimmy go swimmer," and mineral's "five eight and ten" back in 96-97 really floored me and changed my expectations of music. granted, it took pretty much an 18 month drought of new bands in the indie scene to leave me primed for that. similarly, pearl jam's ten, smashing pumpkin's gish, and american music club's everclear back in 91... seems boring and obsolete now, but wow... the right time, the right place, the right songs to change my musical world.
Blake_T

Postby Blake_T » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:56 pm

if i'm ripping for speed i use audio catalyst

if i'm ripping for id3 cataloguing purposes i use itunes, but have been getting a ton of distortion on track 1's of cd's.
Blake_T

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:10 pm

The only band that I've heard of is Dead Kennedy's, yet I don't remember much about it. I heard of them about 97 (about the time I started playing disc).

What I remember about them is that it was the band that others would blast to annoy cowboys and rednecks.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:57 pm

heh.

dead kennedy's were around from ~1979-1987 or so. their two most famous songs are probably holiday in cambodia and nazi punks f**k off.

they were one of the early punk bands to really bring social, economic, and political issues to the forefront in a brutally honest fashion.

they were also a band that came under heavy fire during the witch hunts of the 80's that led to parental advisory warnings, etc.
Blake_T

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:54 pm

That's exactly what I remember! Their fans bragging about the parental warning.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jHarr » Wed May 10, 2006 12:47 pm

free jello biafra!!
oh... he's probably not in jail anymore anyway...

funny how buying diapers- not to mention disc golf- has cut right into my new music budget

nice list blake- I gradumutated from wayzata in '88 and was one a them 80s skatepunks downtown for the all-ages punk shows... saw the 'mats, Huskerdu, descendents, GBH, circle jerks, agent orange etc - even caught the suburbs when they played the walker art center heh
only now is the technology and availibility catchin up to where I can explore and check out some newer tuneage (we just got an ipod finally)
I moved away from the miniapple by '90 and started flingin plastic shortly thereafter so now I yearn to return for the golf...

and I am somewhat new to posting here, thanks for the effort of the site and all the good info... and some music that sparked a trip down memory lane

california uberalles!
jHarr
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed May 10, 2006 1:28 pm

fineline wrote: saw ... Huskerdu

Lucky bastard! I bet they put on a great show! Also was the lead singer of Bad Religion in Circle Jerks?

I love the Pixies, the guy who works next to me just gave me all of Frank Black's solo sfuff which I love. I really dig on some old school hardcore like Husker Du and Dead Kennedy's. I grew up in the 90's so I grew up loving Less Than Jake, Pennywise, NOFX, Swinging Udders, and Bouncing Souls. I love me some 90's era punk/ ska.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby jHarr » Wed May 10, 2006 2:19 pm

unfortunately, one of the guys I was with got slammed in the pit early-on and blew his knee so we had to bail on the show, go find his car, then push start the thing across a parking lot.... good times
jHarr
Noob

Postby jase » Wed May 10, 2006 7:29 pm

I'm not into the same type of music as you at all. You are odviosuly much older than me though. I'm only 14. These are the bands I listen to mainly.(flame if you want)

A Change of Pace
A Static Lullaby
The Academy Is..
Aiden
Alkaline Trio
Armor For Sleep
As I Lay Dying
Asking Abby
The Black Maria
Blink 182
Cartel
Comeback Kid
Dashboard Confessional
Deathcab for Cutie
The Drive Back
Eve 6
Fall Out Boy
From First to Last
Haven 21
Halifax
The JV Allstars
Last Winter
Less Than Jake
Matchbook Romance
Motion City Soundtrack
The Movie Life
Our Last Night
Panic! At The Disco
The Postal Service
Private Drive
Rise Against
Senses Fail
Story of the Year
Straylight Run
Taking Back Sunday
Underoath
Yellowcard
Zebrahead
jase
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed May 10, 2006 8:09 pm

fineline:

my step bro saw husker du 20+ times.

i didn't really delve into non-mainstream stuff until ~1989 (i was 11 heh) with stuff like ministry, fugazi, the pixies, uncle tupelo, etc.

i did manage to see sugar in 94' as well as nova mob. to this day sugar is the loudest band i have ever heard... and i mean... like... loud... really really really loud. explains why bob mould is deaf now.

jase:

you listen to the same style, just about 20-25 years removed from the stuff we are talking about.

it's safe to say if husker du didn't exist, the alkaline trio wouldn't either, nor would the majority of those bands.
Blake_T

Postby Tim H » Thu May 11, 2006 7:00 am

I have to admit my tastes are generally very pop. However I have to admit "Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables" was an AWESOME album. I did have one Husker Du tape as a youth. My favorite band is probably Led Zepplin though.
Tim H
Noob

Postby adidadg » Thu May 11, 2006 9:47 am

Frank_Delicious wrote:
fineline wrote: saw ... Huskerdu

Lucky bastard! I bet they put on a great show! Also was the lead singer of Bad Religion in Circle Jerks?

Greg Hetson was in Circle Jerks, he plays guitar for Bad Religion. Another Greg, Greg Graffin, is Bad Religion's singer.
adidadg

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.