Music

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby redspexxx » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:46 pm

he might have had one of the single greatest ideas in the history of music. take 1 part semi-popular song(rock, rap) throw in 1 part hole in the wall lounge act. stir in frank sinatra to taste. serve garnished with a twist.
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:23 pm

soul coughing was a nice band from back in the 90's too

i'ma try and toss a list of my musics up here cuz it seems to be the cool thing to do

hip hop:
#1 for sure- the people under the stairs, if you like hip hop and your not hearing this you need to be!
Giant Panda
Time Machine
Murs
Mr. Lif
Hieroglyphics( del, souls of mischief, casual, etc)
Gangstarr
Tribe
Wutang/gravediggas
Sage Francis
Ugly Duckling
The spooks
J-live
Immortal technique
Madvillan, j-dee, all those cats
percee p

the rest:
Tortoise
funki porchini
the sea and cake
Medinski Martin and Wood
Coltrane
Some miles davis
Gruvis Malt - a very jazzy 311 fusion type thing
the white stripes
zep
floyd
king crimson
TOOOOOOOOL
rage agains the machine
Minus the bear
BECK!- the new album is nasty
Fog
modest mouse
sonic youth
Tom waits

There is alot more but i'm at work and not near my itunes for memory jogging

favorite band of all time ever and best live show ever = RADIOHEAD
Thom Yorkes solo cd is way good too
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby cmlasley » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:38 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:favorite band of all time ever and best live show ever = RADIOHEAD
Thom Yorkes solo cd is way good too

It is good to see so many Radiohead fans on here. I saw them at Red Rocks on the Amnesiac tour, and they were phenomenal.

Thom is fun to watch, I love seeing Johnny Greenwood play with all his sweet toys, and Phil Selway, the drummer, is a freak machine.

Some of those more techno beats on the later albums that I had assumed were a drum machine are him playing. He literally never misses a beat. What a great show.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:05 pm

also if your into radiohead as well as reggae you should check out the Easy Allstar's version of Ok Computer. they are the same people that made dub side of the moon. its really good, karma police features citizen cope
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Blake_T » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:38 pm

i was exiled from one of my college's indie rock communities after i stated that i thought radiohead was so over-rated they made me want to gouge out my eyes.

i hold radiohead and CMJ writers' radiohead orgasms responsible for the death of indie rock.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby cmlasley » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:45 pm

You, Sir, deserved exile! Gouge out your eyes! Now!

The first few albums were not really groundbreaking (and were mostly overrated), but I would put OK Computer on my top 10 albums list.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Postby bigs348 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:00 pm

Kid A is my favorite of theirs. I never got into OK Computer.

Actually, my favorite would be I Might be Wrong, the Live/B-Sides album they put out. Only 7 or 8 songs I think. The acoustic versions of Like Spinning Plates and True Love Waits are friggin' amazing. National Anthem is pretty sweet, too.

Overall, I like it for what it is. I like listening to Kid A, I Might be Wrong, and a little bit of The Bends, but I'm not really a hardcore fan.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:11 pm

Radiohead is definitely one of the best bands out there...they're one of the few bands that are played on the radio that I actually like. I think OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief are all genius albums in their own right. I don't know about the death of indie rock, as it's not a genre that I've listened to too much...I will say that what I heard of indie rock seemed to be killing itself--what I heard of it, it all sounded pretty much the same. It all sounded decent enough, I guess, but just all so similar. Even if you don't like Radiohead's sound, you have to admit that they're at least trying new things.

BTW, if anyone's interested in trading some music, I've got a 10 cd set (in mp3s) of Radiohead rarities and bootlegs called "Towering Above the Rest". Got lots of other music too, PM me if interested.
Last edited by some call me...tim? on Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby cmlasley » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:11 pm

I love the live version of "Like Spinning Plates." The piano is so nice. I like the studio version for the technical nature of it all, but the live cut is tight.
Morgan Lasley
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Postby cmlasley » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:13 pm

Blake, why do you think that Radiohead tolled the death of indy? Because they started small with an indy feel and went supernova? Because they taught all the other pale, depressed, whiney b's out there that they could be millionaires if they didn't suck?
Morgan Lasley
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:38 pm

Blake, why do you think that Radiohead tolled the death of indy? Because they started small with an indy feel and went supernova? Because they taught all the other pale, depressed, whiney b's out there that they could be millionaires if they didn't suck?

no, it's actually because i found their music rather boring (interesting in ways that are not the same ways that i like to listen to stuff).

i do allow for band's to grow. i'm an old school indie rocker. there was a certain type of sound that drew me in. i allow bands and genres to grow, but not if it causes them to lose the characteristics that drew me in in the first place.

i also feel there were better bands that went out on a limb without losing the "rock factor" in their music. honestly, i never really liked radiohead, so it's not like i used to like them and dislike them now, i just always at best thought they were okay and having people try to tell me they're the best band ever gets old.

my early indie rock favorites were bands like archers of loaf, jawbox, pavement, sebadoh, polvo, superchunk, rodan, small 23, built to spill, crain, sunny day real estate, fugazi (if you count them as indie rock), velocity girl, slint, unrest, thirty ought six, tortoise, antioch arrow, etc.

basically, chapel hill, d.c., chicago, and louisville scenes w/ a few outliers.

my own tastes have evolved, but they have become even more and more specialized while i key into those magical factors that make me like what i like. most of my favorite bands are bands that are either pushing the envelope in a hybrid genre or bands that i see as having the best characteristics of the said sound.

what i see as the death of indie rock is when there stopped being different sounds and just ended up with a crapload of bands that all sound like a heartless version of pavement. pavement wreaked of apathetic genius, so when you get more heartless, it's like wtf. at least pavement was funny and brilliant.

there has been a lot of trickledown because of radiohead. the best effect was wes borland leaving limp trizkit. the worst effect was people thinking that interpol was really good.

i try to always gauge bands based upon what music was like at that time, and when they entered my life. it is unfair to expect someone well-versed in modern music to accept sunny day's diary with the same kind of feelings as those of us who picked it up back in '94.

the sad part of it is that i can hear a song and go "wow, the critics are going to crap themselves and have to invent a new way to describe an average song as the best thing since toilet paper." if someone likes radiohead and interpol, i can always pick out a ton of other stuff they like.

it's gotten cliche to the point where there is regression in the bands making the music.

imo, blonde redhead is one of the most prominant examples of this. if someone likes blonde redhead a lot, we probably share some bands in common that we both like, but their top 10 list is probably bands that i hate and we will end up on some conversation where they tell me that losing the rock factor from music is an evolution. (this is the second most accurate indie rock test to rocket vs. jehu).

bands that get too many accolades:
bats & mice
interpol
q and not u
the dismemberment plan
tapes and tapes
three mile pilot

the reason why it is frustrating to me, is because bands like faraquet, giants chair, north of america, under a dying sun, etc. who were infinitely more talented than a lot of bands break up because their music goes unappreciated.

the thing that has really gotten me interested in bands in the past few years are hybrid genres. the problem is, very few can appreciate these bands because they aren't "pure" enough to please either of the fans of the genres being combined, and because of that, they gain no accolades and fade off into the sunset.

i have gotten some retribution though through all these retro-active reviews of records that happens nowadays. all music went through and re-reviewed a lot of indie rock classics from the early 90's... that got mediocre reviews upon release but were often amongst my favorite records at the time. now in hindsight they give those same records 5 stars.

i'll write more later.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby kvanorsdel » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:39 pm

Blake_T wrote:
kvanorsdel:

you have been penalized 20 points for failing to include american music club, throwing muses, the blake babies, the violent femmes, and the sugarcubes in your list of college radio all-stars 1987-1991.
These were my sisters bands as a young boy I was a follower of my older brother not my older sister :wink:

I haven't had a chance to listen to nova mob and I was definitly not a DK fan they were to popular around were I grew up for me to like them.

And by the way Blake thanks for scoring me I'd rather you score my musical growings up then my DG scores :oops:
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby cmlasley » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:08 pm

Blake_T wrote:
what i see as the death of indie rock is when there stopped being different sounds and just ended up with a crapload of bands that all sound like a heartless version of pavement. pavement wreaked of apathetic genius, so when you get more heartless, it's like wtf. at least pavement was funny and brilliant.

I always liked Pavement, but never really got into them. I got into the scene after it was already quite established (I am only 28 ). I will have to go back and listen to some of these bands you are talking about.

I think that the UK's indy movement was parallel to ours here. You talk about the rock washing out of indy rock, and I don't think that happened here like it did in the UK, but once those bands came ashore here, they brought it in and it was a more subdued sound that really clashed with the angst of the American scene. While American indy bands were mostly still angry, the British had moved on to despair. Despair is more comfortable, I guess.
Morgan Lasley
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Postby bigs348 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:22 pm

I'm a huge Wilco fan. So many genres wrapped up into one and lyrically quite good.

(It's hard for me to admit that anyone is good lyrically, since I'm a huge Dylan fan and no one comes close.)
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby cmlasley » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:37 pm

bigs348 wrote:and no one comes close.)

That's an understatement.
Morgan Lasley
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.