Motorcycles

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby calvarycoffee » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:04 pm

it's my first motorcycle, so i can't really compare it to another.

I got it for $600 from a die hard harley guy. he bought it for his daughter but his wife didn't want their daughter riding cycles so he got rid of it. my gain.

I do like the ride, comfy. the shop said it is a good bike. they replaced the wiring and rebuilt the fuel assembly. cleaned up the carbs too.

shes running good.
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:11 pm

thats a good deal for only 600$ wish it were mine. I got a good deal too, but the deal was I was selling my car and I got the bike as a partial payment. I was already looking for a motorcycle (wanted something sportyish like yours) and the guy offered more cash on top of his bike than I would have taken as just a cash offer, so I couldnt pass it up. The bike has been a good first bike, 500cc w/ a 6 speed is plenty for highways. Its a slightly tight fit w/ my 6'2 frame, but I am happy.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Glock23 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:18 am

Well it looks like it s finally going to happen. I am finishing up the deal with the guy now. It is a 1980 Suzuki GS 1100 E. It doesn't even have 20K on it yet, and everything works as it should. I am going to keep the sissy bar and trunk off though, don't like that look. May also drop the windshield, but not sure yet. I am pretty excited, now I need to start the process of getting my license.

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby Barbikes » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:03 pm

Damn Glock,
What a find!! I haven't seen an early GS1100E that good looking for quite a while! I had a 1982 model for about 10 years in the 80's/90's. When those bikes were new they were at the top of the heap. Nothing was faster in the quarter mile and top speed is 140/145 mph. In the early 80's it was cycle world magazines bike of the year in the Superbike category. I agree with you that the tail trunk should go. The windshield can be off in summer-on in winter. You might not like the seat after a few miles. The stock seat was fairly flat which lets you slide your butt around to find a more comfortable position as the day (and miles) go by. That looks like a Metzler ME33 Lazer front tire which is the best there is for this bike. The most common problem these bikes had was that second gear would start popping into neutral at high rpm if you try to BANG it from first to second to many times.
Barbikes
Tree Magnet

Postby Glock23 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:21 am

Thanks for the info Barbikes! The bike is pretty nice, a couple small cosmetic things, but those should be an easy fix. I wish the previous owner would not have painted the engine, but oh well. I would like to get a different seat, but this one will have to work for a while I think, as I am not going to have a lot of cash to invest in it right away. I was suprised the insurance isn't as bad as I thought it would be, so that is nice.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby calvarycoffee » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:02 pm

impressive bike. . .
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby Glock23 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:38 pm

Thanks calvary! Took it in tonight, and it's a beast! Going to be an interesting bike to learn, as it has more balls than I do!
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:39 pm

yeah 1100cc's is alot of combustion chamber for a first bike ;-)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Glock23 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:43 pm

Yeah, I am hoping my old dirtbike/atv experience will kick in. Still, never been on a bike this meaty. It feels like a tank.
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:53 am

my bike was just what i needed (500cc 6 speed), I have put 4500 miles on it since september (the blizzards this winter tried to stop me) and I am thinking of something alittle bigger. So i get blown around alittle less on the highway, and to carry passengers a little more comfortably.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Glock23 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:49 pm

I was planning on starting with a 600-750cc bike, but the deal was nice on this one, and I don't have to worry about growing out of it.
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:35 pm

Plenty understandable. I kinda got lucky on my deal, I had my car on the market for 3500 or trade for motorcycle, or bike + cash i would have taken anything down to 2500, and got 2800 plus the bike. good luck and avoid dropping it (i havent had trouble w/ that yet. its 400 lbs I weigh almost half that and am pretty tall)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby BHW » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:20 pm

I picked up a new (to me) bike last week.....2002 Aprilia RST Futura

Comes with factory hard bags....I'm not quite sure my Innova bag will fit in there though...............
BHW
Tree Magnet

Postby Glock23 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:14 am

What a beauty! Very nice BHW!
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby calvarycoffee » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:45 am

yeah!
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.